Wooden platforms - rod pod or stage stand?

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a rod pod (never had one, always manged with bank sticks) - as there are many waters in my clubs with wooden platforms.

However, I'm also considering stage stands with bank sticks see here.

Have you used stage stands?

What do you think?

The thing with a rod pod is the rods are parallel and point in the same direction. Whereas, the stage stands allow rods to be positioned individually as with bank sticks.

Can you recommend me a rod pod - priced in the region of £80 to £130?

Matt

sagalout

Reaction score
I have 2 cheap pods that I set up with a single rod on each so I can place them any way I want.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Only used a pod on a platform a couple of times, and for what it's worth I was always concerned about inadvertently moving my foot or leg slightly (or landing a fish!)and kicking the thing into the water with it being close to the edge of the platform....
It didn't happen and I'm sure some sort of fixture could be added to temporarily fix the pod in position, but with some folk fishing with bale arm closed or with quivers I suppose it's always likely the pod could go walkabout with a vicious take.....

The 'stage stands' look a better bet to me being more positive, but others will see it differently.................

Maybe pods with flat feet could be fixed in some way ?

ps Pods (on ebay) are a minefield as most are obviously for multiple rods for carp fishing. I have searched for something substantial but simple for single rod fishing to replace my Fox pod of yore, without much success, or more to the point where I would be prepared to buy without seeing it in the flesh, so to speak....

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
And on one or two club waters the bailiffs get a bit upperty about holes appearing in the carefully made stages. :eek: Better with a stainless pod it's much better and cuts down on the aggro. A short bunggy clipped on the netting and over the central pod bar stops mishaps happening ;)

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

Oh and I forgot you're an engineer make one you lazy git ;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the style of fishing concerned. I've happily used both pods and stage stands when carping. Pods aren't particularly in vogue on the carp scene these days, but I still like mine and use it regularly. I don't use it (or any type of buzz bar set up) unless I'm fishing in a style that utilises bobbins. When general coarse fishing, if a long bankstick isn't long enough to be placed in front of the platform, I prefer to use a feeder arm attached to a seat box or chair.

Reaction score
And on one or two club waters the bailiffs get a bit upperty about holes appearing in the carefully made stages. :eek: Better with a stainless pod it's much better and cuts down on the aggro. A short bunggy clipped on the netting and over the central pod bar stops mishaps happening ;) ---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ---------- Oh and I forgot you're an engineer make one you lazy git ;)

I was gonna make some stage stands but I just don't have the time Phil.

There's so much is like to make for fishing but with work and family commitments I barely gave time for the actual fishing.

As for holes in the wood, I recall you telling me to use cup hooks on wooden stages to secure my shelter!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've got both and tbh I prefer the stands simply because there is less ironmongery for me to trip over and I was never terribly happy with the amount of height adjustment I got from my cheap Fox pod....bearing in mind I'm not a carper.If I'm on a two rod set up I will invariably be fishing bobbins on long drops and I can do that better with stands. Plus I found my pod a buqqer to cart around cos it fits in precisely nothing.

I like stands so much I use one for my front rest when I'm float fishing from a stage.Saves messing about trying to get a bankstick in . Back rest is usually a tripod with a Preston Dutch Feeder rest front & back. Bit Heath Robinson but I like it.

law

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has made some form of device that kind of hooks over the edge of the platform. Almost like a giant G clamp with a hole/attachment for a bank stick.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've got a cheap 40 quid rod pod but I did buy it about 6 years back so the price will have gone up

Easy to set up/ pack away , I very rarely use it but I would guess you have as much chance knocking into a rod pod as you would bank sticks fixed to the platform when you are playing a fish

The bad one

Reaction score
I was gonna make some stage stands but I just don't have the time Phil.

There's so much is like to make for fishing but with work and family commitments I barely gave time for the actual fishing.

As for holes in the wood, I recall you telling me to use cup hooks on wooden stages to secure my shelter!
You're not getting this one are you Matt? "You are an Engineer" Never met an engineer yet that has never found time whilst at work to do a Foreigner! As I said some bailiffs, not all, take a dim view of holes on their stages. You just have to know which and on what club waters ;)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
The OP did ask for recommendations for a rod pod with a price range, but as far as I can see nobody (including me) has put a name to one, let alone a price...

( I only mention this as I also am always looking for a pod which will eventually take over my aging Fox. I fish many stillwaters with totally flat swims (but rock hard ground) so I find a pod absolutely spot on for float fishing with long rods, quickly adjustable for ledger situations as well. Saves time trying to fix rests and easily carried with a shoulder strap of sorts.....)

Apologies to the OP for opening up his Thread..

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
I bought a Fox rod pod last year and have hardly used it. Mainly due to the awkward size & shape and partly due to the infexibility offered to rod positioning. I prefer a two bank stick approach.

However, when I was thinking about getting one I did consider adpting my Benbo Trekker camera tripod into a rod pod. I'm surprised that no one manufactures one on that line. The Trekker has three adjustable legs that can be altered for length and can be locked at any angle using one simple turn of the handle. You can position the trpod on stairs, steep inclines, in water (The lower part of the legs are sealed) and it also has an extending central coloumn that is locked by the same handle as the legs. You can position the camera head from a few inches above the ground to around 1.2 metres.

00LpAr-37396384.jpg

All it would take is for an engineer with a little spare time on ther hands to make two right angle adaptors, one for each end of the coloumn to be able to fit buzz bars at each end. One end of the adapter to fit the tripod thread and a female end to fit the buzz bars along this line.....

5055457200171.jpg

This would give a sturdy tripod mounted rod pod that could be adjusted to position rods low down as per carp and predator fishing or with high tips as favoured by some river anglers.

benbo-trekker-montage2.png

flightliner

Reaction score
I bought a Fox rod pod last year and have hardly used it. Mainly due to the awkward size & shape and partly due to the infexibility offered to rod positioning. I prefer a two bank stick approach.

However, when I was thinking about getting one I did consider adpting my Benbo Trekker camera tripod into a rod pod. I'm surprised that no one manufactures one on that line. The Trekker has three adjustable legs that can be altered for length and can be locked at any angle using one simple turn of the handle. You can position the trpod on stairs, steep inclines, in water (The lower part of the legs are sealed) and it also has an extending central coloumn that is locked by the same handle as the legs. You can position the camera head from a few inches above the ground to around 1.2 metres.

00LpAr-37396384.jpg

All it would take is for an engineer with a little spare time on ther hands to make two right angle adaptors, one for each end of the coloumn to be able to fit buzz bars at each end. One end of the adapter to fit the tripod thread and a female end to fit the buzz bars along this line.....

5055457200171.jpg

This would give a sturdy tripod mounted rod pod that could be adjusted to position rods low down as per carp and predator fishing or with high tips as favoured by some river anglers.

benbo-trekker-montage2.png

NP, Good piece of kit for sure tho I reckon the designer had been reading the Kama Sutra!:wh

greenie62

Reaction score
The best of the Tripods I've seen so far was this: Dinsmores 2 x Extending Tripods | GO Outdoors
at £26 for the pair - as previously mentioned make sure you anchor them down with a carrier bag of rocks or a water bottle to avoid kicking them off the peg into 14ft of water! (As if anyone would be so clumsy! :eek:) :eek:

The bad one

Reaction score
Knowing the waters Matt is fishing, we're in the same club, I'd seriously consider this one Daiwa Infinity Apex Rod Pod if I was in the market for a new pod. I'm not btw as I still use my original Gardner pod from 30 years ago when I have to fish off stages. It's had a few modifications by me over the years but still performs the function I want it to, so no reason to get rid because it's old.