Homemade Boilie

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I've been down that road Ray. Crushed Vitalin mixed with blended sweetcorn, eggs and I added aniseed to one batch and strawberry syrup from the cake aisle to another. Both caught and to be fair it is an easy way to make your own boilies.

I've said before that I don't subscribe to the HNV obsession. My own view and it is based on nothing more than a hunch, is that sugars rather than proteins are what bigger fish want. You might need steel to make the boiler, but once its made you need plenty of wood to run it and not much steel. That's my simplistic way of looking at things.

On the theme of the dog food; over here a lot of anglers use Frolic dog biscuits as carp bait and for catfish. The Frolic biscuits are fairly soft in composition and sink in their natural state. They are formed in a ring shape that is ideal for hair rigging one, two or three at a time and can be stuffed with paste inside the hole.

A Polo Bollie, watch this space, Nash or one of the big companies will soon have them in the shops.

Steve2020

Reaction score
Hi, some good info here, but why do people freeze them and do you have to do it, if you have to freeze then how long before I go fishing do I need to get them out to unfreeze.
I dry my boilies for a minimum of 2 days sometimes 3 dependent on the ambient temperature of my garage. I then store them in an airtight container which I usually use within 5 or 6 weeks but think they'd last quite a bit longer than that. I also bought a pack of preservative off eBay but haven't got round to testing it out yet as I'm fairly happy with the shelf life as it is at the moment but i may decide to use it if I make larger quantities.
Regarding your question about defrosting them I'd take them out of the freezer the night before you go fishing & they'll be fine.

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
...But don't forget sweets, American hard gums, jelly Tots, fish love sweets.

Please forgive my ignorance...

Really? or are you pulling my leg? Being new to fishing I am not sure :eek: If it is true, then that is great, when I am not catching anything I can start easting the bait. Might give the maggots a miss though...

Ralph :confused:

laguna

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance...

Really? or are you pulling my leg? Being new to fishing I am not sure :eek: If it is true, then that is great, when I am not catching anything I can start easting the bait. Might give the maggots a miss though...

Ralph :confused:
The little half-size jelly babies are very fruity, easy to hook or hair rig - use the males as you get a bit more for your money! ;)

Yep they catch carp, in fact anything that's soft and edible can be used as bait... fruity bonbons, soft chewy blackcurrant ones are good in summer and a lot cheaper than boilies :w

fishplate42

Reaction score
The little half-size jelly babies are very fruity, easy to hook or hair rig - use the males as you get a bit more for your money! ;)

Yep they catch carp, in fact anything that's soft and edible can be used as bait... fruity bonbons, soft chewy blackcurrant ones are good in summer and a lot cheaper than boilies :w

Well I never :) !

I'll go and ask for some of those big boys then :D:eek:mg:

Ralph :thumbs:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Just to be different.
Once made I put my boilies into a hot oven for 2 minutes (12mm)
Then let them cool. It forms a skin for my softish centre boilies.
I always fish with a few broken pieces alongside so leakage / recognition not a problem.