Sharpening Worms

Reaction score
How do you sharpen your worms?

I was recently advised that the best way to sharpen worms is to freeze them before sticking the ends into a pencil sharpener.

Do you have a better method?

Reaction score
Paul

You have a few options:

1. Put the worms inside drinking straws before freezing. The keeps them straight and they can be squeezed out once solid.
2. Sellotape them to something straight before freezing, e.g. old pencil or ruler, lolly stick or tape them to the outside of a wormed filled straw if you run out of straws.

I tend to use the straws - get a fist full next time you're passing MacDonalds.

terry m

Reaction score
Collect the residual shavings and either add them to a groundbait or sometimes I use it in a stick mix.

If fishing close in worm shavings are a great loose feed. Flick in a small pinch and the perch react as if it is a dinner gong.

Reaction score
Paul

Either melt the ends of the straw and squeeze or use some super glue.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Terry

The shavings are wasted in bait. Add them to an omelette for a tasty treat.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
when I first started fishing I actually used to ring a dinner gong , since I had read that so many things were "like ringing it ", the real thing could only be better. Some of the old boys would get a bit upset and I never caught much.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
You can always set the worms out to make letters before freezing and use them to write messages on Birthday cards, or maybe on that fateful letter explaining issues regarding marriage/employment/ransoms etc, all in a unique style all of your own.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Never tried sharpening worms, but when I run out of large worms I do often superglue small ones together to make a large one.

sagalout

Reaction score
Be careful with sharpened worms, you could have someones eye out with it.

PS If you don't have a pencil sharpener, a stanley knife can be used although you don't get such smart finish but it does allow you cut a barb behind the point.

Last edited: