Sentimental journeys...

greenie62

Reaction score
Its certainly not overfished. None of the tench and bream boys early season. A few fish for the perch in the autumn. I fished it for the pike last season most weekends and saw on average 3 other anglers..

Oh No Smudge! :eek:
You're giving it away - Mick's been using this line for the last few years:
Today, from all accounts, its an overfished Nature Reserve - Now there is a contradiction if ever there was one
to ensure it stays unfished so that he and a select few can have near-private top-class angling! Shhhhhhhhush - it's a secret!:eek:mg:
;):D

smudger172

Reaction score
Oh No Smudge! :eek:
You're giving it away - Mick's been using this line for the last few years:
to ensure it stays unfished so that he and a select few can have near-private top-class angling! Shhhhhhhhush - it's a secret!:eek:mg:
;):D

greenie........
Come closer i am going to whisper..........That was a bluff. If it gets them all on wilstone, i can have startops to myself but don't tell anyone. Shhhhhhhhush. That is our secret....;)

mick b

Reaction score
greenie........
Come closer i am going to whisper..........That was a bluff. If it gets them all on wilstone, i can have startops to myself but don't tell anyone. Shhhhhhhhush. That is our secret....;)

Couldn't find a smiley rolling around on the floor laughing.........

Not in that concrete bowl :eek:mg:

Better fish in the 'dead canal' (blimey that shows my age :D)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Very much so, Mark - I fished the very same waters and a few more besides. It wasn't until I got to fish the Kennet at Aldermaston (from age 9 or 10 onwards) on occasional, special weekend treats in summer and the Dorset Stour and Hants Avon during family holidays in Bournemouth that I realised what real rivers and fishing were about - they were outrageous - clear, fast, fish-filled - even if my early skills weren't up to catching the chub and barbel that sometimes swam in full view. Caught piles of small roach and dace on sight-fished freelined maggot once I had got them boiling in front of me, though.

A lot of English waters in the 1960s and '70s were in an often almost fish-less mess, routinely polluted and in a state of recovery before the next slug of effluent killed their weeds, bugs and fish. Makes me smile when I see people harking back to their Sixties / Seventies heyday - if they had one, it was much much earlier than these decades.

Rose-tinted specs and all that.

Same thoughts Paul- seeing the Avon for the first time was a bit of a shock after fishing the muddy old Thames. We used to go to Thatcham near Reading for the Kennet and permission for a private stretch that my old man got through one of his rich clients (he worked in a bank); I suspect it was one of the conditions the client got a big loan. He was a bit shrewd my old dad.

The first weekend we had on the Avon we caught nothing. We stopped somewhere on the way back and a old angler asked me how I was fishing it. When I told him double maggot he said "you wont catch anything on double maggot on the Avon, always use a single maggot, The fish are too wary of double maggot in that clear water". Funny the things we remember !

Peter- Do you mean the "Bat and Ball" on the Hamp Avon? My brother and I fished it a couple of times and caught nothing. I believe it has gone downhill dramatically to former times.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter- Do you mean the "Bat and Ball" on the Hamp Avon? My brother and I fished it a couple of times and caught nothing. I believe it has gone downhill dramatically to former times.

No, I meant the Bull at Downton.

The Bat and Ball though is another pub' that went downhill too.

It was closed for a couple of years but when it reopened it was managed by a chap who had no interest in fishing, and the stretch behind really took a dive.

A few of my friends fish it occasionally but really never manage anything of any size from there.

As for the Hampshire Avon?

This is a true story . . . . . . I was at Ibsely fishing above the weir and met two middle aged chaps down from the "smoke" as they said to fish the famous Avon.

They both spent about 10 minutes telling me how impossible it had been to fish, let alone catch anything, due to "all that bluidy weed"

They couldn't understand how come such a famous stretch of river had been "allowed to degenerate like this"

I gave them that smile, you know the one that you keep for situations just like that, bid them good luck and wandered well downstream . . . . . .

maceo

Reaction score
When we were kids we used to fish the Grand Union Canal on Croxley moors near Watford.

There was the canal or the little River Gade running alongside and we fished both for little roach and perch.

It was just downstream from the Croxley Mill paper works, where they made Croxley Script paper. The water was so polluted often it was a joke. It used to bubble at times. It's all long since been knocked down and I expect they probably make it in Huang Dong Province now.

Surprised there were any fish in there at all really. I found this one photo of it.

225549562_411beda06a.jpg

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No, I meant the Bull at Downton.

The Bat and Ball though is another pub' that went downhill too.

It was closed for a couple of years but when it reopened it was managed by a chap who had no interest in fishing, and the stretch behind really took a dive.

A few of my friends fish it occasionally but really never manage anything of any size from there.

As for the Hampshire Avon?

This is a true story . . . . . . I was at Ibsely fishing above the weir and met two middle aged chaps down from the "smoke" as they said to fish the famous Avon.

They both spent about 10 minutes telling me how impossible it had been to fish, let alone catch anything, due to "all that bluidy weed"

They couldn't understand how come such a famous stretch of river had been "allowed to degenerate like this"

I gave them that smile, you know the one that you keep for situations just like that, bid them good luck and wandered well downstream . . . . . .

Ah , the Bull at Downton, I remember it now. I liked the Bisterne stretch below Ringwood, funnily enough I caught a huge bream there once and lost it, it did that flick and turn thing Bream do sometimes just as I got it to the surface. But plenty of good barbel and chub. There was another pub day ticket stretch below that, I cannot remember if its the Queens Head or the Kings Head, they had a little stretch that was very good. As for the Bat and Ball, its a shame, it was one of the nicest looking stretches I think I saw, full of promise and yet very poor. I believe it had a fantastic reputation once. Another stretch I liked was a restaurant owned bit, they did a ticket, Springwell or something like that, they had a lovely stretch, full of mixed types of water, weir, slow, fast, islands etc. Very good fishing.
Roach, I never could find any along the Avon, I was always disappointed about them. .
Nice story about the "geezers". Townies-what do you do with them. better not answer that.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah , the Bull at Downton, I remember it now. I liked the Bisterne stretch below Ringwood,

I haven't fished Bisterne for quite few years now, unfortunately as it is a lovely stretch.

I wrote about a nice day there some time ago here on FishingMagic, but following the move from Magicalia the article seems to have lost the pictures:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/diaries/11670-late-summer-on-the-avon-at-bisterne.html

After fishing at Bisterne we used to go to a pub, I think it was called the New Queen Inn at Sopley, and the food in there was really good, and Badger Beers too . . . . .

There are still some lovely roach in the Hampshire Avon, but you need to know where to fish for them as they are not a nearly so prevalent as in former years.

There is still some very good fishing above the Bat and Ball stretch at the Hale Syndicate staring from Downton and running downstream to Breamore, but we lost the Breamore weir where Chris Yates took so many really good Barbel some years ago.

You have got me thinking now that I should maybe take some bread and maggot down to Ibsley again to try my luck there again.

B

binka

That's a cracking picture maceo, it has a double significance to me having an interest in historic narrowboats and the fact that I must have sold hundreds of tons of Croxley Script in the early years of my employment.

Looking at all those working boats and buttys moored up you can soon appreciate how mucky the canals were but the very same reason that they existed in the first place.

Some of the old working boats are still around too.

Thanks for posting it :)

Ps... As a random snippet working boats would occasionally have two circles painted on the bow, these indicated that they were "fly" boats doing express runs often over twenty four hour periods and that they held priority over other boat traffic such as at locks etc., you will occasionally see boats which are historic, replica and pleasure painted in the same way nowadays although the priority no longer applies.

On the cabin roof at the rear of the boat would normally be an arrangement of Buckby Cans along with a highly decorated mop which would be dipped in the canal during journeys and used to clean down the cabin sides, a practice commonly known as twizzling.

Also, the number "1" painted on the engine room doors amongst the rear panel signwriting usually indicated that the boat was owned by the crew, something recalled in the following publication...

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I haven't fished Bisterne for quite few years now, unfortunately as it is a lovely stretch.

I wrote about a nice day there some time ago here on FishingMagic, but following the move from Magicalia the article seems to have lost the pictures:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/diaries/11670-late-summer-on-the-avon-at-bisterne.html

After fishing at Bisterne we used to go to a pub, I think it was called the New Queen Inn at Sopley, and the food in there was really good, and Badger Beers too . . . . .

There are still some lovely roach in the Hampshire Avon, but you need to know where to fish for them as they are not a nearly so prevalent as in former years.

There is still some very good fishing above the Bat and Ball stretch at the Hale Syndicate staring from Downton and running downstream to Breamore, but we lost the Breamore weir where Chris Yates took so many really good Barbel some years ago.

You have got me thinking now that I should maybe take some bread and maggot down to Ibsley again to try my luck there again.

Thank you, a good read, makes me want to go back there. I liked the diversity of the river there, big wide stretches and narrow deeper parts up through the woods with some nice bends just above. . Must go back sometime. I often used cheese for the chub but, caught barbel on it as well which, if I remember rightly often used to come on late in the day.

maceo

Reaction score
Interesting Binka. I didn't know that.

If you disregard the Hoseasons rental barges you sometimes see, the narrow boat people seem to be the most friendly and courteous of the boaters who come by.

Croxley Mills was a horrible place to start fishing really, but it was the only water within walking distance from home. Spent many, many hours down there with my little mates. Horribly polluted though as I say.

One hot summer we jumped in the canal to cool off and swim, but I landed straight on a broken bottle and had to walk to the hospital with a boot full of blood and have a load of stitches in the bottom of my foot. Still the most painful stitches I've ever had.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So many former Ricky People around...

I grew up and fished not far away.

Croxley.

The nice part was the cress beds and surrounding lakes. I knew some people thirty-odd years ago, through flyfishing, who lived in a house beside one of the lakes. Got me over to talk at least a couple of times at the clubhouse pictured bottom right on this page** - Croxley Hall Trout Syndicate | Trout Fishing | Colne Valley

One of those places that once must have been magical and completely rural - but not in our era.

** Click The Lakes button to see photo page.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
When I hardly feel like fishing, the place that I can trust to rekindle my Mojo is the River Gade, either at Cassiobury park or Croxley Moor. Those chub - nobody has told them they're supposed to give one good pull then give up.
Just back from my third visit in a week; caught some, got soundly done over by some, fed a crow, had the crow's crust nicked from my bag by a dam' dog, thoroughly enjoyed it and back in time for brunch.

lambert1

Reaction score
Triggs Lock (C) Ron Strutt :: Geograph Britain and Ireland
This is where it all started for me in the 60s and 70s. It was a free stretch then and may well still be. I later joined Guildford and then Send Angling clubs who had the waters upstream from there. In those early days (late 60s early 70s it was almost exclusively Gudgeon, both caught and pursued and the bait was either maggots or worms, depending on available pocket money. A chub of a pound or so was treated as a significant catch! It was not easy to fish due to the large amount of boat traffic, but we had a great deal of fun, especially in the summer hols. As the crow flies it is not far away and I have often thought about going back, but as Mick says, that might not be a good idea. I have better fishing much closer to home, but......

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
That’s really odd.

I am a Wey Nav boy - we used to fish the Parvis Road bit - mid / late 60s. 2 Gudgeon was a result, a roach was incredible. I remember sending a submission to Anglers Mail when I snared, by accident, a 1.5lb Chub

I have no idea why we continued fishing but we did - we really never caught anything at all.

There is another thread about going back - I re-joined my (then) local club on the Wey about 5 or 6 years ago. I have better tackle now and maybe more idea, but in a limited number of sessions each year I have now my best Barbel, Chub, Eel, Bream and Perch from this river. There are also loads of good roach and clonker dace

I agree with Paul B - in the 60’s (and 70’s) this river was never like this - we could catch Pike in the sewage outflow easily enough, but nothing like this. The 60’s were better, but in the 70’s the river seemed devoid of fish.

lambert1

Reaction score
Yes I think the 60s and 70s were not great times in terms of pollution and fish numbers. I am sure you will remember the state of the Basingstoke Canal in those days, which was quite shocking. I certainly found the Wey much better in the early 80s before I packed up fishing and had some good Chub from the Send stretch. I can't remember Barbel being present in the 60s and 70s either and that may well have partly been due to the water quality, although I do remember the odd Trout making an appearance.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yes I think the 60s and 70s were not great times in terms of pollution and fish numbers. I am sure you will remember the state of the Basingstoke Canal in those days, which was quite shocking. I certainly found the Wey much better in the early 80s before I packed up fishing and had some good Chub from the Send stretch. I can't remember Barbel being present in the 60s and 70s either and that may well have partly been due to the water quality, although I do remember the odd Trout making an appearance.

I fished the Basingstoke Canal a few times a couple of years ago. Near Aldershot was chock full of Red Signals. However, the end near Weybridge did not seem to have them and was quite pleasant fishing with some nice roach and bream. Lot of boats though but, the water was clear enough and fish able.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score

The Basingstoke was a mess in those days. We used to go up as far as Sheerwater (from the Wey Nav junction) in a canoe - lots of sunken canal boats and heaps of rubbish. From Sheerwater is was empty for a fair way. the restoration society should be awarded medals for the work they have done. I live in Woking now and the canal is a really good mixed fishery - loads of roach. bream and hybrids, some perch & pike. It suffers a bit like all urban fisheries, but when I was at school in Woking in the 70's , no one viewed it as a fishery at all.

About the Wey - we used to spend a lot of time by the river in the early 70's in Byfleet (not always fishing :) ). I know for a fact that there were barbel there in the early / mid 70's but I don't ever remember anyone catching one on a rod. I don't think anyone really knew they were there - we only found out when a mate went snorkelling in the weir pool we used to fish.

PH

Reaction score
Triggs Lock (C) Ron Strutt :: Geograph Britain and Ireland
This is where it all started for me in the 60s and 70s. It was a free stretch then and may well still be. I later joined Guildford and then Send Angling clubs who had the waters upstream from there. In those early days (late 60s early 70s it was almost exclusively Gudgeon, both caught and pursued and the bait was either maggots or worms, depending on available pocket money. A chub of a pound or so was treated as a significant catch! It was not easy to fish due to the large amount of boat traffic, but we had a great deal of fun, especially in the summer hols. As the crow flies it is not far away and I have often thought about going back, but as Mick says, that might not be a good idea. I have better fishing much closer to home, but......

Wow, that is a blast from the past for me, I actually felt shivers down my spine when I saw the photo of Triggs lock. I used to fish there and thereabouts on the Wey in the mid 60's, minnows and gudgeon mostly with (very) occasional roach, chub, perch and pike.

I haven't been back around the Wey in over 45 years but this summer I happened to be passing close by another old haunt of mine, again from the 60's, Broadwater Lake at Godalming. I was pleasantly surprised to see it hadn't visually changed too much but was amazed when walking around it I stopped to chat with a guy that had just landed a carp around 7-8lbs............. he told me that it was his 13th carp of the day, most of which had been in double figures. It made me realize just how much things have changed over the years, particularly with regards to fish stocks. I clearly remember spending nearly all of 2 school summer holidays trying to catch a single carp.............Back in the 60's I was over the moon when I eventually got a 14 1/2lb common.......... after putting in at least 30 days and nights worth of time trying to catch one.