You learn something every day

john step

Reaction score
Today I learned that if you push hard enough you can get one of those "safety"
baiting needles with the hook end and the little latch buried into your index finger as far enough to hide the whole bend bit.
Oh bother I exclaimed as I summoned the will to yank it back out.

Any one learned anything else useful lately :eek:mg:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Today I learned that if you push hard enough you can get one of those "safety"
baiting needles with the hook end and the little latch buried into your index finger as far enough to hide the whole bend bit.
Oh bother I exclaimed as I summoned the will to yank it back out.

Any one learned anything else useful lately :eek:mg:

Bingo,

I did the same thing about 6 years ago. To this day i can't work out how i did it.

I was pushing the needle into a soft boilie ( trying something different ) next thing, the needle was in my finger. It had gone right under the nail to the first finger joint, we couldn't pull it out.

I ended up in hospital, and had to have my finger frozen so the Doc could pull it out. I had to have an X ray first so they could see what way the hook on the needle was pointing.

Did it hurt ?? YES it did, at first, but strangely enough after a few minutes i was laughing. The lads i was fishing with couldn't look at my finger as it made them feel sick. It took 2 weeks for my finger to heal.

rubio

Reaction score
Coincidentally enough I've found it poor practice to retain a baiting needle with the'safety' broken in your pocket.

robertroach

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was unhooking a pike, it flipped and a tooth got buried and broken off in my thumb. Painful. I'm a bit of a wimp so didn't want to go to casualty. I waited a few days until it went septic, then a good squeeze and it popped out.
The pike was OK by the way.

rubio

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I was unhooking a pike, it flipped and a tooth got buried and broken off in my thumb. Painful. I'm a bit of a wimp so didn't want to go to casualty. I waited a few days until it went septic, then a good squeeze and it popped out.
The pike was OK by the way.

Careful mate. You don't wanna be encouraging man eating pike to evolve!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
At the moment I'm working with a splinter in my index finger, just above the nail, which has gone in vertically. Not a big splinter but one of those where the end is almost invisible and very sore..
I'm using Magnesium Sulphate, a 'drawing ointment' used mainly on boils, carbuncles and the like, but also good for splinters if one is prepared to wait for results. I was with my GP yesterday and I took the opportunity to show him this splinter and he said MS well worth trying. However, if it doesn't work then the body 'normally' manages to eject the thing but it does mean keeping an eye for infection !

I shall persevere......

Oh, the Doc did say DON'T be tempted to use needles or similar unless (a) it's a very small splinter, and (B) make sure the needle is cleaned first with alcohol, or similar - caused more problems in many cases.........................

ps MS is very cheap and available at chemists, but you need to ask for it !!

NB !!
ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE AND PROBABLY A LITTLE BORING, BUT...

It ( should ) go without saying that ANY wound, no matter how small, MUST be covered with a waterproof plaster if intending to wash hands in lake / river water after landing a fish or some such, because of WIELS DISEASE !!!

Also, using antiseptic HAND WASH at the same time is good practice..........................

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I also learnt once that if your going fishing, and going to put your rods on the roof rack of the car. Make sure you put the rods on the roof rack in the first place.

80 mile drive, get to the fishery, NO rods :eek:, drove back, and there they were, still against the tree outside my mates house ;).

smudger172

Reaction score
I learnt last Sunday that although I had driven a boat on grafham the 15 mins from the boat yard to the deep water at the dam end fifty plus times in good weather conditions, when its 50 yard visibility with fog things change..

Out of the boat yard, drive in a straight line for 20 mins and end up back at the boat yard.....:(

greenie62

Reaction score
.... Out of the boat yard, drive in a straight line for 20 mins and end up back at the boat yard.....:(

PMSL - Don't worry Smudge - it's a known navigation problem that is repeated all over the world every day - I'm sure MickB knows it, what it's called and probably what causes it!
I always thought it was something to do with having one leg shorter than t'other! ;):rolleyes:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I learnt last Sunday that although I had driven a boat on grafham the 15 mins from the boat yard to the deep water at the dam end fifty plus times in good weather conditions, when its 50 yard visibility with fog things change..

Out of the boat yard, drive in a straight line for 20 mins and end up back at the boat yard.....:(

Ha, ha, so I am not the only plank to have left their rods behind.

nicepix

Reaction score
PMSL - Don't worry Smudge - it's a known navigation problem that is repeated all over the world every day - I'm sure MickB knows it, what it's called and probably what causes it!
I always thought it was something to do with having one leg shorter than t'other! ;):rolleyes:

I thought it was because the world is round

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Today I learned that your cardiac arteries can carry on working reasonably well even though one of them is 95% blocked. I also learned that when you have got a problem like a 95% blocked cardiac artery the good folk at the sharp end will sort it out for you pdq. Within the next two weeks according to the consultant.

The moral of the story is if you are of a certain age and you start getting chest pains after mild exertion then see your Dr asap.

PS, the circular walking thing is thought to be something to do with the inner ear, it is unusual for it to happen on water though as even in thick fog the angle of the bows to the ripple usually gives a visual clue as to the direction of travel.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Titus.............I share your obvious concern over the artery blockage and really hope all goes well in two weeks time. Two weeks will seem like forever, but at least your getting it sorted and that's a big positive !

Good luck....

ps The advice you offered about seeing your GP asap (or quicker) if chest pains begin, is absolutely spot-on !! TAKE NOTE ALL YOU 50+ CHAPS !!!

Last edited:

markhib

Reaction score
Bingo,

I did the same thing about 6 years ago. To this day i can't work out how i did it.

I was pushing the needle into a soft boilie ( trying something different ) next thing, the needle was in my finger. It had gone right under the nail to the first finger joint, we couldn't pull it out.

I ended up in hospital, and had to have my finger frozen so the Doc could pull it out. I had to have an X ray first so they could see what way the hook on the needle was pointing.

Did it hurt ?? YES it did, at first, but strangely enough after a few minutes i was laughing. The lads i was fishing with couldn't look at my finger as it made them feel sick. It took 2 weeks for my finger to heal.

Why isn't there a 'Don't like' button on here?

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
What an idiot! The guy who left his rods at home. I don't know. I would NEVER do that, far, far too clever. I did drive home once having left my rods at the lake though.