deliberately trashed tackle

xenon

Reaction score
Following on from the "broken rods" thread, how many here have actually destroyed tackle (the classic being a rod snapped over the knee) out of rage and frustration? Never done it myself but have come very, very close on occasion.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No, never. I wouldn't dream of ever displaying such petulence. The closest I've ever been was total indifference when accidentally standing on the butt of a rod that I wasn't remotely fond of. I'll never understand anyone mistreating their own kit whether in a fit of pique when things go wrong or in celebration when things go well.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Recently had a ceremonial garden burning of some Daiwa Sensor line that was worse than terms I can use here.

Truly, it's the Devil's gift to monofilament but it burned well enough.

Otherwise agree with Sam, I've never trashed anything. Retired plenty of stuff though.....

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Many years ago, a friend bought a Mitchell Match reel with 'finger dab control', the first time he used it, (on a breezy day), on casting the line went round the back of the bail arm, a common occurence, after the 3rd or 4th time, he snapped the line,took the reel off and threw it as far as he could into the pond.

I did'nt understand it then, and I still can't understand it now.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Many years ago, a friend bought a Mitchell Match reel with 'finger dab control', the first time he used it, (on a breezy day), on casting the line went round the back of the bail arm, a common occurence, after the 3rd or 4th time, he snapped the line,took the reel off and threw it as far as he could into the pond.

I did'nt understand it then, and I still can't understand it now.

Well he fixed the problem, it never happened to him again.

I am always careful and wouldn't destroy my own gear. I choose it carefully and don't fish with rubbish tackle so if I lose a fish it isn't the tackles fault the blame lays with me.

When I was a sixteen year old apprentice mechanic the guy who was teaching me was a really bad tempered sod and if things didn't go well there would be spanners flying all over the place, even at that young age I knew a total knob when I saw one. He got out from under a car one day and stepped backwards into a bucket of old engine oil, right up to the knee. I have always seen the funny side of most things and I burst out laughing. He ran at me with his fists raised but just ran on the spot because of all the oil under his boots. I can still see his face now, red as a pillar box and growling.

john step

Reaction score
No never and never will. If you do this sort of thing you could be described as not quite the ticket. People who do this probably loose it in the rest of their life.

terry m

Reaction score
Fishing is a pastime/hobby that is important to me, but that level of importance does not come remotely close to the stage where rage or frustration results in deliberately broken kit.

B

binka

I'm going back a good fifteen years or so here...

If anyone knows the Tolney Lane stretch of the Trent at Newark they will be familiar with Bob's Island and the point in the river that it comes to with the area known as the backwater to the far side.

I arrived on the gypsy site bank (Toney Lane) one morning around dawn to fish the stick and two blokes were fishing the point of the island opposite and had been there all night with keepnets out.

As soon as it was light enough out came the nets and with much clumsy handling fish, including some fair size barbel, were removed and photographed and to my utter amazement and further disgust, they were then placed back in the nets and chucked back out into the river.

Around lunchtime I could hear talk of going to the pub which was a short walk off the island and straight into town which they did whilst they left their gear on the bank with their cars parked behind and keepnets still out containing fish caught the previous night.

As soon as they were halfway up the island I reeled in and clipped up before marching off up the meadow further up my bank, crossing the narrow footbridge and down onto the island where I eventually reached their swim.

I pulled in the two nets, returned the fish and proceeded to cut off the entire bottom rings of their keepnets before throwing them back out again and quickly making my way back to my side of the river.

I hung around but they still hadn't returned over two hours later so I eventually left, I would have loved to have seen their faces when they next pulled them in ready for another round of clumsy handling and photographing one by one half to death.

So...

No, I haven't deliberately trashed my own gear but I have someone else's and without the slightest feeling of remorse :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
No, I couldn't do that. I'd rather give the stuff away if I can't get on with it....

I really cannot imagine ANY angler worth his salt and who is a genuine angler, trashing gear. The two just don't go together in my eyes...

Like others though, the loft is full of gear, now retired, but even seeing a rod bag from time to time, brings the memories rushing back..................

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have regular clear outs and ebay binges (buying and selling) and never deliberately destroy anything...................Except a wicker basket I was given which was only kept together by the woodworm holding hands; but I even salvaged the leather straps of that before I burnt it.

bullet

Reaction score
I've got a 9ft 6 # fly rod that I really don't like. I took it carp fishing this summer on a water that holds plenty of decent fish that are very obliging on the mixer fly.Try as I might I couldn't break it, at times the blank was twisting and distorting but it held up. I was giving maximum stick and it coped handsomely. I still don't like the rod but have a new found respect for it! Wouldn't dream of breaking tackle out of rage....computers, however....:)

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Wouldn't dream of breaking tackle out of rage....computers, however....:)

My 84yr old Mam agrees with you totally but points out the advantages of these new 'tablet' computers - they are so much easier to throw across the room when you get p---ed off with them! :eek::eek:mg:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
No, never with fishing tackle.

Computing equipment...well came very close with the odd PC when windows was having its latest software meltdown and day wasted by reinstalling everything.

I confess I did lose the plot with a fairly cheap printer that always refused to print whenever I was in a hurry and needed it to print in a hurry (eg to catch the last post). You ended up having to switch it off, clear print jobs, restart computer etc...then to get a paper jam. On about the 27th time one week I ended up throwing it out the door from a height onto some concrete. Felt great. Real release of pent up anger type stuff. Forced me to get out and replace it with a better one that would actually work (which it did and lasted for years).

frothy

Reaction score
Never trashed fishing tackle, women that have got in the way of me going though... That's a different matter!

Last edited:

lambert1

Reaction score
Never broken any fishing tackle deliberately and have been upset by accidental breakages. I too have a collection of why did I buy these type things and to be honest the answer is usually a whim when not able to go fishing. Ebay is useful for some things but can also bring out the Pratt in you:D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I deliberately trashed a few cars in my youth thrashing them round the field at the back of my mates house.
The best one was an A35 van which rolled down a bank we think seven times before coming to rest on its wheels against a hedge. There were nine teenagers jammed in it so tight there was hardly a scratch on any of us. It did drive back up the field but the steering rack and all the suspension was so badly bent its days as a field van were over and eventually it was replaced with an A 40 Devon.