Recommend thermal 2pc Suit?

jamstorr86

Reaction score
Hi folks, can anyone recommend a thermal 2pc suit for winter? I fancy tackling some of my local rivers during these colder months, so need a durable and warm 2pc suit that won't break the bank so close to xmas. Might have to wait till the January sales.

greenie62

Reaction score
I've got a ProLogic Bib/Brace with jacket which I've not used yet as a 2-piece suit 'cos the Bib/Brace was so b---dy hot just with a thin jacket on - almost looking forward to trying out now things have got a bit colder (just gone up to 3C!).
I got mine in a sale a few months ago at NWAC £69! Still same price - see: Prologic Thermal Comfort 2 Piece Suit | NWAC

Just going to try putting thigh waders on over top of suit - if you don't hear anything for a few days you'll know I got stuck - Nurse!!

Tight Lines n warm toes!

robtherake

Reaction score
Preston Drifish suits are warm, breathable, comfortable and hard-wearing. If you prefer olive drab the Korum suit is exactly the same, only green.

My current Drifish Celsius suit is probably 10 years old and still providing great protection, although it does smell rather peculiar!

jamstorr86

Reaction score
i was looking at the preston 2pc last night online. may have a look at chapmans when im passing by to see what they are like in person. I know its a little more than the pro-logic, but maybe that extra cost will be worth it if lasts a long time.

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Just going to try putting thigh waders on over top of suit - if you don't hear anything for a few days you'll know I got stuck - Nurse!!.....

Luckily Nurse came along just in time! - Don't try it!

IF you are going still-water fishing - you'll be fine with this suit - wearing ordinary boots - providing you don't have to walk too far to the swim - else you'll be baking!

IF you plan to fish a river wearing thigh/chest waders - forget the suit! - can't get waders on over the suit legs - even a pair of wellies have to go inside the zip-up leg!
You'd be better getting a pair of chest-waders and a separate jacket of your choice - may even be better getting a couple of jackets - 1 for extra warmth - another for waterproofing - then you've got a layered approach to control your personal environment.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jamstorr86

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, that is one concern of mine, would make sense that one type of suit would be better for still water and another for river fishing, but unlikely that there would be one that is good for both. different requirements. i think the one i get will depend on what my bank manager (our lass) says i can spend...

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, ..... the one i get will depend on what my bank manager (our lass) says i can spend...

I'm suggesting that the one to get depends on the type of fishing you want it for - rather than buy one the bank manager says you want - then buy the one you need in future! ;):rolleyes:
If worst comes to worst - there's a lively community of divorcees on this site to support you through the difficult times ahead! :eek::eek:mg:

john step

Reaction score
So many on the market. Best to visit a shop and try one for comfort and ease of movement as it is long term investment.
However if you are over 6 feet as I am the choices become fewer.
I am on my second SUNDRIDGE suit now. They make a size "GIANT" for us awkward bods.
The first lasted 20 years.
The only trouble is that the suits are so warm you can only wear the bottom half unless the temperature goes really Siberian.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I have the Korum 2 piece suit and as has been said it needs to be COLD !!! to wear both the jacket and the bottoms and dont even think of walking far you will be rendered down to liquid .

PG

seth49

Reaction score
Another vote for the korum suit, had mine for a few years works really well kept me dry and warm through some rough days.

robtherake

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, that is one concern of mine, would make sense that one type of suit would be better for still water and another for river fishing, but unlikely that there would be one that is good for both. different requirements. i think the one i get will depend on what my bank manager (our lass) says i can spend...

It's worth paying a little more for one that's breathable, especially if your angling involves a lot of walking. Less sweaty.

dead peg

Reaction score
I wear my old summer GoreTex waterproofs and wear a decent pair or thermals plus layers .You've got have a tightish fit in layers to maintain your body heat , plus you can add/take off layers depending on the conditions .
If its good enough to go up mountains .. its good enough to do a few hours fishing in IMO

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I wear my old summer GoreTex waterproofs and wear a decent pair or thermals plus layers .You've got have a tightish fit in layers to maintain your body heat , plus you can add/take off layers depending on the conditions .
If its good enough to go up mountains .. its good enough to do a few hours fishing in IMO

Problem there is if you are going up a mountain you are working pretty dang hard generating lots of body heat, if you are sat down fishing you are not generating much body heat .

PG