Telescopic rod reccommendations....

wes79

Reaction score
Any one using telescopic rods can please give me some advice on what to look out for?
I've been looking at quite a few online and a few different ones at the local tackle shops (there seems to be loads on the market) and I'm not quite sure how far I can get away with not paying to much :D:eek:mg: but still getting something strong enough that will cope with a 20lb fish :eek: and be small enough to use while jibbing about on the mountain bike with a small day pack :p

Is this any good or a bit to cheap and cheerful?
Silstar | Silstar Carbodynamic Telescopic Feeder Rod | Fishing Tackle

Cheers and beers!

MRWELL

Reaction score
Hi Wes.
Don't know about that rod mate but at £12 it will have very little give,bit like a broom handle,in my opinion most tele rods are the same,that is very stiff action,i have one,had it a few years now cost £10 from decathlon,3 lb tc but it feels much stronger,in fact i used it for spodding,don't use it now though,you get what you pay for and many of these rods are just not up to the standards you want but like i say,it is only my opinion.
Stan.

B

binka

Appreciating that you'd be stepping up in price a bit would a multi-section traveller/smuggler type of rod be a viable alternative for you?

Having said that I don't know of any near to that sort of price range, that's not to say there aren't though.

Edited to add: Actually Wes I've just had a quick look and there's loads, not sure which are recommendable though...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intrepid-..._Labels_LE&hash=item20cd3b595b#ht_2772wt_1073

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
I have recently added some Silstar tele rods from this very source to my collection. The 6m bolo is pretty good, the heavier(and cheaper bolo) not as good but very cheap. There is, or was, a tele whip with 3 tips(all the same!) for very little money too. I wouldn't plan to target big fish with them personally but they are a great budget gear that can be thrown in the boot or suitcase.
Well worth checking out their Gelert clearance sales too.

wes79

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice folks, not sure the stiff action is what I'm looking for really so have given up on the telescopic for now, have been looking at some multi section and have settled for the NGT Itrepid All rounder 9ft (it has some good reviews on amazon) thanks for the pointer binka.

Last edited:
B

binka

I've just been comparing the information on the links we both posted thinking that they are the same rod Sam but noticed that the brand and casting weights are different, are they in fact slightly different rods and is there a "range" or is it just a description anomaly between the brands on the same blank?

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've just been comparing the information on the links we both posted thinking that they are the same rod Sam but noticed that the brand and casting weights are different, are they in fact slightly different rods and is there a "range" or is it just a description anomaly between the brands on the same blank?

No idea, I just heard of the NGT through the carp forums. It's not normally a brand that I, or many others, would take much notice of.
NGT do a full range of kit. http://www.ngtdirect.co.uk/#/store/4565381776/Rods but there's no blisteringly obvious connection to the brand you linked to. Naturally, that doesn't mean it's not the same blank and that the brands aren't actually linked.

Last edited:
B

binka

I've had a few bits of NGT kit over the last few months as one of the tackle shops around here stocks a fair bit of their gear and I am really impressed for the relatively low price, nothing major just things like lead bags and the soft, zipped groundbait bowls with the carrying handles but cheaper than many and all lasting well so far, I reckon they're good value for the money from what I've seen.

wes79

Reaction score
I've had a few bits of NGT kit over the last few months as one of the tackle shops around here stocks a fair bit of their gear and I am really impressed for the relatively low price, nothing major just things like lead bags and the soft, zipped groundbait bowls with the carrying handles but cheaper than many and all lasting well so far, I reckon they're good value for the money from what I've seen.

As a brand it doesn't fair to badly imho.
I found the 1000m line spools to be very good value for money with no problems at all.

Last edited:

naxian62

Reaction score
In the process of getting myself a telescopic or smuggler type rod for the hols. Anyone got any experience of the Savage Gear XLNT 4-piece range ?
Cheers