Standing out

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I believe I am a reasonably successful all around angler. One thing which places me above Joe Bloggs, is my baiting approach - whether this is on stillwater or river, I think, this is what 'stands me out' in comparison to my fellow angling peers. Case in question - two occasions this year. A session on a river resulting in 100lb of chub (I baited for 2 hours prior to casting in), an angler in the swim below caught 1 trout. A session on a lake, careful spodding with natural particles and accurate casting, resulted in 150lb+ of bream which included a 13lb bream and a further seven over 11lb - the angler next to me had 1.

What quality do you think makes you 'stand out' from the crowd?

nicepix

Reaction score
I believe I am a reasonably successful all around angler. One thing which places me above Joe Bloggs, is my baiting approach - whether this is on stillwater or river, I think, this is what 'stands me out' in comparison to my fellow angling peers. Case in question - two occasions this year. A session on a river resulting in 100lb of chub (I baited for 2 hours prior to casting in), an angler in the swim below caught 1 trout. A session on a lake, careful spodding with natural particles and accurate casting, resulted in 150lb+ of bream which included a 13lb bream and a further seven over 11lb - the angler next to me had 1.

I don't know. But next time I'm carp fishing would you mind sitting in the next peg and removing the bream?

bennygesserit

Reaction score

None but I think I start to fish much to quickly and never leave enough time for the fish to gain confidence , 100lb of chub seems like a real feat , waiting two hours would also be a feat in itself for me.

I am really going to try being more conservative about how quickly I start fishing , I have found a nice canal stretch and , besides the commercials , I am going to have a couple of goes there and will definitely be bearing that in mind when I fish it.

C

chefster

i cant compete with such greatness,i,m just a mere mortal;)

robertroach

Reaction score
Me too. As I always avoid the crowds I do not have the problem of feeling I have to stand out above them. It's partly why I go fishing.

Best wishes
Joe Bloggs

lambert1

Reaction score
Like Benny I am sure I start fishing far too early and should sit on my hands! I doubt that I could attract such a large amount of Chub to one swim in the small rivers I fish, but I am sure that a more measured patient approach would pay dividends. Because my trips are few and far between and I anticipate them for days beforehand I am usually in a state of high excitement when I arrive and whilst I have learnt patience in many things, fishing is not one of them. I think only a straight jacket would really work!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Me too. Fortunately I don't have to fish in sight of another angler very often let alone next to one of the creatures:) I therefore don't know what they catch. :wh

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now that's where you went wrong, Lordie - the truly great, having gone to an Old School-type school, never buy the O.S. Tie, never return to the place, never fraternize with former fellow O.S. inmates (well, maybe exhange very occasional non-O.S. emails with one of them), never accept an easy ride / leg-up to Power or to Posh MacJob money, yet become "stand out" in a very discreet, find me if you can, sort of way. This way, you will infuriate simply EVERYONE, both the Poshos and All Who Hate / Envy Them. Easy if you know how and are so naturally talented that you can catch fish in any bath, bucket or local authority pothole....

nicepix

Reaction score
Now that's where you went wrong, Lordie - the truly great, having gone to an Old School-type school, never buy the O.S. Tie, never return to the place, never fraternize with former fellow O.S. inmates (well, maybe exhange very occasional non-O.S. emails with one of them), never accept an easy ride / leg-up to Power or to Posh MacJob money, yet become "stand out" in a very discreet, find me if you can, sort of way........................

That might be because they don't want to face the "What do you do?" questions.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That might be because they don't want to face the "What do you do?" questions.

Took it like one of the Stockies that I have always considered too far beneath me to bother with. Consider yourself clonked and fed to a neighbour's cat.

As for Boxing Day online arguments (and one is surely about to start) I am leaving you to it before the same old, same old, fin-less wonders kick off.

See you all later / tomorrow / whenever, whichever is the sooner when the usual old pellet-crunchers and feather-spitters have had their fill. Off to tie a few Christmas flies for far more desirable Wildies.

laguna

Reaction score

I am a sheep.
I am not a special sheep I’m just different, different because I head away from the others and sometimes stand in the opposite corner of the field - alone.
It is a lonely place.
But it is a better place because I have all this grass to eat for myself.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Now that's where you went wrong, Lordie - the truly great, having gone to an Old School-type school, never buy the O.S. Tie, never return to the place, never fraternize with former fellow O.S. inmates (well, maybe exhange very occasional non-O.S. emails with one of them), never accept an easy ride / leg-up to Power or to Posh MacJob money, yet become "stand out" in a very discreet, find me if you can, sort of way. This way, you will infuriate simply EVERYONE, both the Poshos and All Who Hate / Envy Them. Easy if you know how and are so naturally talented that you can catch fish in any bath, bucket or local authority pothole....

There's nothing wrong with calling in a few favour Bootie old boy , why try when you can latch onto someone who already has , that's what the I do

I couldn't think up the old school chum phrase myself but having seen you use
it ( and let's face it you are far ahead of me in fishing term if not social standing)
Then I shamelessly copied you

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Took it like one of the Stockies that I have always considered too far beneath me to bother with. Consider yourself clonked and fed to a neighbour's cat.

As for Boxing Day online arguments (and one is surely about to start) I am leaving you to it before the same old, same old, fin-less wonders kick off.

See you all later / tomorrow / whenever, whichever is the sooner when the usual old pellet-crunchers and feather-spitters have had their fill. Off to tie a few Christmas flies for far more desirable Wildies.

I'd have to ask who caught who given you took my bait old bean , merry Christmas to you Paul

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If I stand out, my cammo goretex has been a complete waste of dosh.

Trying to get back on topic: Shaun, when you feed and wait, especially at this time of year , when the fish are easily over-fed, how do you figure out how much and how often to feed?
I know that, like most of the flock, I start fishing too early, but there's always that gnawing fear that, if I leave it any longer, they'll have noshed up and gone back to their Zen class.

nicepix

Reaction score
If I stand out, my cammo goretex has been a complete waste of dosh.

Trying to get back on topic: Shaun, when you feed and wait, especially at this time of year , when the fish are easily over-fed, how do you figure out how much and how often to feed?
I know that, like most of the flock, I start fishing too early, but there's always that gnawing fear that, if I leave it any longer, they'll have noshed up and gone back to their Zen class.

I think that it takes a great leap of faith to feed for two hours if you can't see the fish or signs of fish and as you say, at this time of year you could easily miss the window of opportunity.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Seems to me Shaun you've had 2 red letter days where you got the feeding and methods right. Fair to say we all have these days but I've never gone home afterwards and thought" Hmmmm I now stand out in the crowd?":confused: