The Palomar Knot

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Matt Corker wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

If tied l like shown earlier, the resulting connection is a LARKS HEAD (not as its shown), which does not seperate easily if you wish to change your hook length.</blockquote>
And also not as strong

Andy M

Reaction score
Geoff, you are of course right in principal but in practice if you start with a larks head you will almost certainly end up with one esp on fine lines. So I would still say there is a right and a wrong way of tying italbeit both can lead to the same knot......

But I still say a Palomar with loop left over shank or swivel eye is asking for trouble.

Philip

Reaction score
Yes I am another one that always makes sure the loop is pushed right back so its not sitting on the hook. I consider that to be a correctly tied Palomar. Its just about the only thing that could be described as “tricky” with the knot…its hardly difficult to tie is it.

However ! having said that in practice if its not pushed back I don’t know how much actual difference it will make. I tested the knot a ton of times when I first started using it. I actually tried to tie it badly (within reason of coarse) and on my admittedly basic pull for a break with a spring balance test I could not see any real difference although I suspect there must be some somewere.

I believe and still maintain its one of the most consistently strong knots around and takes to being tied badly better than most but of coarse that’s no reason to tie it badly so push that loop back !

C

Coops

I made that mistake when I first used the knot a few years ago. I lost a few barbel to knot breakages and stopped using it. Then I realised I was probably not pushing the loop back off the hook eye or swivel and gave it another try. I haven't had a breakage I can put down to the knot since, though in fairness I do usedifferent mainlineand hooklinksnow, so not a totally fair comparison. However, I think it does make a difference, especially under an initial shock load e.g. a barbel whack!