The Palomar Knot

Reaction score
There is no doubt that the palomar knot is a very strong knot and very simple to tie.

However, I now have a doub whether I tie it correctly.

After passing the loop over the hook I gradually draw it all together.

I make sure the loop is <u>off the eye of the hook</u> and closes around the over hand knot part of the line.

However, in some instructions I have seen the knot is shown closed up with the loop <u>around the eye or still on the shank.</u>

Which is correct?

Morespiders

Reaction score
So's the palomar on Grogs Knots, the whole of the knot sits on the eye, some of it is left below the eye meaning part of the line could be weakened by the eye where it joins the shank, this is where knots fail if not correctly tied

Reaction score
That was my point at the beginning. It just started a doubt when I saw it.

Can't think why I started doubting my knots /forum/smilies/sarcastic_smiley.gif

Morespiders

Reaction score
So you did, will give you extensive lessons next time we meet, and it need not happen again./forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Quite right Spiders, so it is.

And so is the spade end knot. That knot will weaken any hooklength.

And I don't tie a waterknot like that. This is the knot I and thousands of other fly fishermen use to tie up droppers and most of us tie what is known as a 3 turn water knot. 3 turns are enough with fluorocarbon.

S

Sean Meeghan

Here's another animated knot site. The palomar looks ok, but some of the names are suspect (cf grinner and hangman's knot)

Reaction score
It is possible to tie it wrong.

The two loops should connect likea REEF KNOT.

If tied l like shown earlier, the resulting connection is a LARKS HEAD (not as its shown), which does not seperate easily if you wish to change your hook length.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Loop to loop connection!!!

I do it without thinking several times a week when I connect my leader to my fly line.

Push fly line braided loop through loop in leader. Take end of leader and insert backthroughbraided loop.

Tighten up and the two loops connect like a reef knot as Matthew says.

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Geoff Brown (AA, RAC, PMSL) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>Morespiders(ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Andy, The middle diagram on the loop to loop is wrong on that site.</blockquote>

Actually it isn't, contrary to popular belief, it's not actually possible tojoin a loop to loop wrong.

See my post here: http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/33648/dt/4/URN/9/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/9/sp/</blockquote>

Sorry to disagree Geoff, in every possibility , most join them wrong, you included, Its funny how tying that knot with big differences in line diameter alters the way it ends up, try doing it with say6lb line to 4lb line and you will see the difference, look at my explanation on that old thread you quoted and follow it carefully. get back when you have done it

away until saturday , mail me if you want