Very sad.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
sad but it refelects the ways people are today

I always take a plastic bag with me when fishing and into tat goes any cans, tins, used line, used hooks ect - so easy to do but so few do it

Keith M

Reaction score
It certainly does reflect the way some people are today Lord Paul.

I remember once there was a guy and his son fishing on the opposite bank of our estate lake. They had a small bivvy setup and after they had packed up I walked around the lake only to find that they had left a neat pile of sh** and toilet paper piled up right in the centre of their swim where their bivvy had been erected.

Needless to say they never ever fished there again.

Last edited:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I live in the Sandwell area .

And one of the things i see on a regular basis is the Dust Carts pulling out of one of the local KFC places onto the road the window open and out goes the empty cartons into the road , This lot have a freakin huge bin behind them and THEY cant be bothered with using it .

I hope you are able to take a picture next time, with the truck registration and take the matter further.

The bad one

Reaction score
What saddens me about all this is pre the economic crash, is, we, society were making progress against those despoiler of our local environmental realm. Under the Act I’ve quoted many LAs set up a model for tackling this type of abuse.
The model worked like this
Every Council Ward had a paid Council Officer who’s job it was to be out on the streets daily to find such grot spots and have them dealt with. Either by finding evidence in the waste of who it belongs to, or having it removed where the offenders couldn’t be caught. In Manchester they were known as Street Environmental Managers, others used different titles but in effect they had the same powers under the Act.
If evidence was found the SEM had the power to give a fixed penalty tickets (£80) to the individual for the crime they had committed, and or take them through the courts.

Under another Act, Environmental Protection Act (The paper got the Act wrong BTW which I would have used, they quoted the EPA, whereas it was the CN&EA 2005) The EPA however, has a clause in it that says the Originator of the waste must assure the safe and authorised disposal of the waste they generate at a authorised site, even if they pass it onto a second or third party, etc. In short “you” are responsible for it cradle to official grave. Using the two Acts together the SEM could ticket and make the perpetrators clean their rubbish up, and/or charge them if the LA did it, and they did!:D

In my area we had a brilliant SEM, anything you reported to him was gone within two days, he always feedback what had happen to you and the actions he’d taken. Then the cuts in jobs came and his went. MCC gave us assurances little would change, and the work would be done by others. It didn’t and 3 months later the places around my house were as you seen. I was so p*ssed off that it had gone from well kept to an urban street tip in less than 3 months. So I started complaining to them about it on a near daily basis. Yep I got the usual platitudes from them.:mad: They wouldn’t even give me any of the numbers of “those people” they assured us would be dealing with it now the SEM (Bob) had gone. So based on what I knew, I wrote to them to give notice of what I would do and contacted the press. Knowing full well they’d sh*t themselves at the bad publicity and sort it, so I didn’t have to apply to the courts to carryout the threat.

Strangely every man and his dog were falling all over themselves to give me their and anyone remotely involved telephone numbers!
Played for and got!:D
Sadly these are the hidden costs of cuts to LAs and society under the austerity times we live in.
The Acts are still there btw and haven’t been amended so can still be used as I full intended to. ;)

wes79

Reaction score
Agree with Titus about a generational thing.

The problem with the generational argument is it always over looks the fact that it is the older generations that naturally have some responsibility for making sure the younger generations kept good values in the first place, if I look at the older generation with the same frankness as they do regarding the younger generation I can identify high divorce rates among the 45+ who want to be 25 again, are brain dead from repeated episodes of social engineering, often promiscuity is being preferred over strong family values so its bit unfair to divide people in this way as doesn't even go far enough to explain the economics or materialism being adopted either.

Train a child in the way he/she should go and all that.

Spoiling kids with trashy technology and a "i want and always get" culture couldn't of been propagated without the consent of the parent (the older generation) at a time when values were being both understood and taught by each prospective generation, just give some balance.

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
It's all about the way you were brought up.....my Dad used to play hell with me when I was 10 years old or so if I left as much as a sweet wrapper on the bank....and from there you learn.

I am afraid there seems to be a pretty nasty element creeping into our sport which I had never experienced until about 7 or 8 years ago. Effing and jeffing loudly on the bankside and swigging cans of lager and playing loud music to boot.......we just don't need it.

You just can't imagine people like that taking away their litter can you.

Like Lord Paul....I ALWAYS take a couple of extra carrier bags when I go fishing but not necessarily for rubbish....but somehow that is what they always get used for though.

Maverick

bullet

Reaction score
There's a stretch of river near me that has always been used as the 'local beach ' in hot weather.
It's on private property, (a farmer's field), and as long as anyone can remember its been a right of passage for local kids to go camping occasionally in the summer. Now I don't think the basic premise of the trips has changed,(drinking, smoking, groping, making a fire for burgers etc.) and the farmer has never minded until now.
The last few years he has put up 'no camping' signs because he has got fed up with all the **** left lying around.
He uses the field for silage and understandably doesn't want bottles/cans/plastic bags/condoms in his crop.
I walk my dog down there most days, and in the warmer months I'm forever picking up rubbish. What amazes me is the amount of **** people can create these days, and this is just a few people in the evening. They carry bag loads of stuff down there, which is a good half mile from the road, and strew all the empties all over the place.
It has to be said that a lot of them are old enough to know better, but it should also be said that a lot of them are morons...:eek:mg::eek:mg:
The OP is right, it is a shame. A few numpties spoiling it for everyone....

robertroach

Reaction score
I was in the USA for a while a few years ago. In Texas they were running a huge anti-litter campaign and everywhere there were signs "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS". And guess what - people didn't.
My point is people sometimes have to be told, and our leaders and politicians can do something about it if there's enough political will. Maybe the Green Party could be a bit more active about these things.

mike47

Reaction score
I know many people will be offended by this suggestion, but we have a huge army of unemployed people (particularly young people) who could be be targeted to help clean up this mountain of litter blighting our towns and countryside. They could be remunerated in some form. Probably a politically incorrect suggestion, but it might work.

sumtime

Reaction score
Sorry, Mike, I disagree, it's the cretins who are dumping their **** and getting away with it that needs sorting.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Public information broadcasts were great, they always managed to put the message across in a simple manner touched in most cases with a bit of humour which is why they are so memorable many of us in our 50s can still remember the catch phrases.
I have no idea why they were ever stopped.

Remember........Crossplys and radials just 'mix!

B

binka

I remember that one I think... Was it the one with the dysentery beige Maxi (or similar) screeching round the corner like a granny on speed coming home from shopping before it turned over?

And what about "Charlie says..." ?

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Public information broadcasts were great, they always managed to put the message across in a simple manner touched in most cases with a bit of humour which is why they are so memorable many of us in our 50s can still remember the catch phrases.
I have no idea why they were ever stopped.

Or Joe and Petunia and the Sailing Dinghy

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
Thanks. Just watched Charlie says be careful when you're on Twitter.

pf0x

Reaction score
Nicky Campbell (Radio 5 DJ etc) has told a story on air before about how he confronted some 'youths' he saw drop litter in the street.

The response? He was treated to stream of abuse and got spat at.

There are some filthy people about and some of them go fishing too. I've found litter stuffed down rabbit holes and inside trees etc in a pathetic attempt to 'hide' it. My favourite is the bag of litter neatly collected and pile up and then dumped in the corner of the fishery car park. I mean, honestly. What is wrong with people?

I take whatever I find (within reason) home with me but I hate it because whoever dumps it must think it doesn't matter because someone (me!) will just clean after them.

But it's either that or fish in squalor. :mad:

terry m

Reaction score
Nicky Campbell (Radio 5 DJ etc) has told a story on air before about how he confronted some 'youths' he saw drop litter in the street.

The response? He was treated to stream of abuse and got spat at.

There are some filthy people about and some of them go fishing too. I've found litter stuffed down rabbit holes and inside trees etc in a pathetic attempt to 'hide' it. My favourite is the bag of litter neatly collected and pile up and then dumped in the corner of the fishery car park. I mean, honestly. What is wrong with people?

I take whatever I find (within reason) home with me but I hate it because whoever dumps it must think it doesn't matter because someone (me!) will just clean after them.

But it's either that or fish in squalor. :mad:

I have seen this also and I just don't get it. The effort that these cretins put in to hiding their litter is more than if they simply took it home and tossed it into the trash can. Utter morons.