AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
"Do you eat the fish you catch ?"

"Why do you use those long poles when you could fish from the other side?"

"Did you catch that fish here?"

Any more please...?

B

binka

Woman walking her dog around a local park lake watching me ball in a few jaffas of groundbait...

"There's nothing big enough in here to eat those is there?" :eek:mg:

B

binka

All that gear just to catch a fish... Wouldn't it be easier to just go out and buy one?

Is it true fisherman put maggots in their mouth?

Are there fish in here then?

tincatim

Reaction score
One of my old neighbours as he watched me carry all of my tackle including wet nets down the drive "have you been fishing then?"

Might be where my love of sarcasm first started.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
One of my old neighbours as he watched me carry all of my tackle including wet nets down the drive "have you been fishing then?"

Might be where my love of sarcasm first started.

Used to spend every Summer holiday at my cousins' who lived a short distance from the Staffs Worcester Canal.

Setting out with all our gear at 3am, we were stopped by a passing police car, the driver of which asked where we were going.

Upon receipt of our reply of "fishing" Sherlock took it upon himself to threaten two fourteen year olds for their cheek and attitude.

Upon examination of our boxes proving our sporting intentions, Morse then decided to test our legal credentials.

Upon examination of our two club books, Lindley then decided he'd had enough of his Inquisition of the Innocent and decided he needed a cup of tea, without a word of apology or explanation to his charges.

With any luck, he dinked the car and got a kicking off his sergeant.

I remember this occurrence because I caught a small skimmer which made a change from the gudgeon, roach and perch that made up most nets.

tincatim

Reaction score
Not long ago as I was walking back from the canal, I stopped for a rest at the top of the hill. I was sat on my seat box, in filthy clothes, with rod bag and net bag by my side when some kid rode past on a bmx and asked if I was in a band!

Easy mistake :eek:mg:

athomik

Reaction score
"He normally doesn't do that/is properly trained" from dog owners who spent the last 5 minutes shouting at their dog while you are fighting with the dog to keep it from eating all your bait/lunch.

greenie62

Reaction score
Whilst sitting on the bank fishing in a local park, a dog-walker appears a few yards away closely followed by an excited lab - the tennis ball flies across the swim closely followed by the lab chasing it! I retrieved my line and tackle out of the way quickly, whereupon the owner shouts "Sorry pal - didn't see you there!".
Wouldn't mind but I wasn't even in full camo! I think it might have been his guide-dog! :eek::eek::eek:mg:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
" Don't the fish like the rain "

My standard reply to that one is:

"No they all hide under the stones to avoid getting . . . . wet"

A few others, "my friend had a firty out of here last week"

"do those maggots bite?"

But, the best of all has to be: Peter Stone’s famous quote:

"‘I’ll be glad when I’ve had enough of this!"