can landing net heads fit all handles?

fishperch

Reaction score
hi guys im starting to really get into carp fishing but i am wondering if carp landing net heads fit on all landing net handles? ive got a dinsmores handle and im looking to buy a 42 inch head for carping as my current 36 inch one is too small for big carp. thanks

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pretty much yes, the thread is the same one you will find on most if not all accesories and is an unofficial industry standard of 3/8" BSF.

There was one manufacturer who was making shrouded threads on the net heads so only certain size handles would fit but the didn't stick around long.

fishperch

Reaction score
Pretty much yes, the thread is the same one you will find on most if not all accesories and is an unofficial industry standard of 3/8" BSF. There was one manufacturer who was making shrouded threads on the net heads so only certain size handles would fit but the didn't stick around long.
thanks for ur help

robertroach

Reaction score
Its very basic technology, isn't it? I have a Wolf garden tool with a handle which accepts all the tool heads. You just push them into the handle and they click in place, very quick, secure and no twisting which is always a pain with the usual fishing screw threads.
Maybe fishing tackle manufacturers need to think of something better.

smudger172

Reaction score
As Titus says the thread will be the same, but if you are using a spreader block the size of holes that accept the net arms can vary. So check your new arms are the same diameter as the old ones...

greenie62

Reaction score
Its very basic technology, isn't it? I have a Wolf garden tool with a handle which accepts all the tool heads. You just push them into the handle and they click in place, very quick, secure and no twisting which is always a pain with the usual fishing screw threads..

All the Wolf tools fit in the Wolf handle! :eek: What a surprise! :rolleyes::D

Maybe fishing tackle manufacturers need to think of something better.

NOooooo! It's always amazed - and delighted - me that the tackle manufacturers have stuck to a common thread for everything from buzzbars, banksticks, etc through to landing net handles for over 60 years with no Govt interference, BSI, ATr initiatives, or Tackle Association Committees to foul it up! If Korda took the Wolf approach it would be interesting to see how long they'd last!;):rolleyes::eek:mg:

smudger172

Reaction score
NOooooo! It's always amazed - and delighted - me that the tackle manufacturers have stuck to a common thread for everything from buzzbars, banksticks,

Its nice to see something survive. BSF. British standard fine. A fine old time thread..

sam vimes

Reaction score
If it ain't broke.......
There's nothing wrong with the bog standard 3/8" BSF. If individuals wish to further complicate what is currently nice and simple, they can do it without inflicting their desires on everyone else.

Prologic quick release connectors

You can use them on nets and bank sticks/alarms.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
If it ain't broke.......
There's nothing wrong with the bog standard 3/8" BSF. If individuals wish to further complicate what is currently nice and simple, they can do it without inflicting their desires on everyone else.

Prologic quick release connectors

You can use them on nets and bank sticks/alarms.

I've got some of them and very handy they are too.....but for some reason I don't trust them on landing nets. Dunno why....just me being a big tart I guess. Superb for alarms and buzz bars etc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've got some of them and very handy they are too.....but for some reason I don't trust them on landing nets. Dunno why....just me being a big tart I guess. Superb for alarms and buzz bars etc.

No, not just you. Probably why they brought out the different sizes. I'm sure I've seen a much shorter but more substantial version on my travels. I suspect that one would be more suited to using on nets.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
No, not just you. Probably why they brought out the different sizes. I'm sure I've seen a much shorter but more substantial version on my travels. I suspect that one would be more suited to using on nets.

I use the shorter ones on my landing nets and handles and keep nets too but slightly longer ones on my buzz bars . . . . . . .

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Pretty much yes, the thread is the same one you will find on most if not all accesories and is an unofficial industry standard of 3/8" BSF.

There was one manufacturer who was making shrouded threads on the net heads so only certain size handles would fit but the didn't stick around long.

I do whish they had chosen 3/8 24 tpi 3/8 UNF much easier to daapt things to .. ho humm ..

PG ..

john step

Reaction score
I use the shorter ones on my landing nets and handles and keep nets too but slightly longer ones on my buzz bars . . . . . . .

I shall investigate. I never knew there were two types. The ones I have seem a bit wobbly for landing nets.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Maybe...personally I dont see much advantage in using one to connect a net but my alarms and buzz bars seem notoriously prone to twist so I've locked these down hard at home and then just snap the alarms etc on bankside.

markhib

Reaction score
Maybe...personally I dont see much advantage in using one to connect a net but my alarms and buzz bars seem notoriously prone to twist so I've locked these down hard at home and then just snap the alarms etc on bankside.

They're very useful if you want to weigh a fish in the net and you're too lazy to unscrew the handle.
Mark.