Bleeding F1's

john step

Reaction score
I have thought about asking this on here for a while but have been reluctant in case I get accused of mishandling/ rough handling. Here goes.

A small club I belong to decided to stock with a load of F1's. Although I don't match fish I do catch a few from time to time which is inevitable.

A few over the last couple of years appear to shed blood from the gill covers when swimming away.
I don't use a keep net. I don't even handle them, releasing from the net which has been suspended across my knees.
They are mostly lightly hooked in the outer mouth with no sign of bleeding from the hook point.

I realise they are not every ones ideal quary(or mine) but the matchmen enjoy them and obviously would not wish to harm them. I have not seen any dead ones either.

I have mentioned this to others but they seem to put them in a keep net in matches and with all the others in there swishing about it may have gone unnoticed.

Has any one else experience of this?

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Carp often bleed from the gills when caught (all strains) they seem to recover quickly enough, but I don't know if the F1 strain is any more prone to it that any others.... they seem to do so after a particularly strenuous or protracted fight... it also seems pretty prevalent in the early part of the season, possibly as over-wintered fish are a bit vulnerable when coming out of a winter torpor.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Carp often bleed from the gills when caught (all strains) they seem to recover quickly enough, but I don't know if the F1 strain is any more prone to it that any others.... they seem to do so after a particularly strenuous or protracted fight... it also seems pretty prevalent in the early part of the season, possibly as over-wintered fish are a bit vulnerable when coming out of a winter torpor

Interesting Arthur, the early part of the season is also just prior to spawning which I was told was the cause of this, stress may be the determining factor.

law

Reaction score
I'm told that due to the cross breeding, they are prone to illness and damage easily.
How true that is I don't know, but the local match lake always has a few die after matches

john step

Reaction score
Carp often bleed from the gills when caught (all strains) they seem to recover quickly enough, but I don't know if the F1 strain is any more prone to it that any others.... they seem to do so after a particularly strenuous or protracted fight... it also seems pretty prevalent in the early part of the season, possibly as over-wintered fish are a bit vulnerable when coming out of a winter torpor.

That's interesting. Perhaps the strain purchased is a bit more liable to this.
They do fight above what their weight would suggest . I havn't noticed it at all in king carp.

peterjg

Reaction score
"Bleeding F1s" - brilliant thread title - says it all!

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I'm told that due to the cross breeding, they are prone to illness and damage easily.
How true that is I don't know, but the local match lake always has a few die after matches
what you have to remember is that any fish's gills are very fine.... the membranes are often only a micron or so thick so a rise in blood pressure due to a bit of rough handling, a protracted fight, stress ect will cause it....

it often happens in the king carp strains too less so but it happens nonetheless...

I'd venture that if some carp are dying after matches then the fish are being badly handled or are being stressed by being kept in the nets for too long.... on some waters I fish there is a split weigh in at a halfway point, to stop the fish being subjected to this sort of stress..

Of course there could be a different underlying cause, such as poor water quality or bacterial/viral infections

law

Reaction score
I can't say I've ever had a king carp bleed from the gills and I've had thousands of them.
I'm not interested in F1's and I've only ever caught a couple, so have never seen it.
The only carp I've had bleed is grass carp. But they are renown for it.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
they don't.... they fight harder as their muscle mass and hormone generation doesn't get wasted on pro-creation

tonybull

Reaction score
they don't.... they fight harder as their muscle mass and hormone generation doesn't get wasted on pro-creation

You think they fight harder than Carp lb for lb ?

I don't think they do, some go off on a charge but then give up easier than Carp imo

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
It's all relative.... once caught a 12lber that came in like a sack on a pole and I've had a 20 that just rolled into the net on light float gear... I've had a 3lb F1 that just didn't know when to stop... depends where you go....!

tonybull

Reaction score
F1's rarely go past 4lb so lb for lb with Carp, the Carp are stronger imo

Where do you fish 2sheds when you catch F1's ?