Maggots

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I would be surprised if there is but is there a way to get Maggots if you dont live near a tackle shop that sells? As this is the situation i'm in.

Cheers

B

binka

You could always do a one off trip and buy bulk to freeze down, adding a flavour at the thawing stage such as krill.

Some people say they don't seem to catch as well on them but I reckon it's a bit of a confidence trick and once the fish realise it's bona fide snap through a good feeding plan they're on 'em all the same.

I even think deads occasionally sort out the better, more wary fish but have no firm evidence, either way by adding that flavour at the thawing stage you might well even end up with an edge over lives and for gravel and silty bottoms they will almost always stay on the surface layer of the deck without spreading out and burrowing like lives tend to do.

Edited to add: There's a great feature article here by the late and great Keith Speer, there's a section covering dead maggots but the entire article is well worthy of a read...

http://www.fishingmagic.com/index.php?news=17505

I think Archie Braddock was also an advocate and early pioneer of the dead maggot.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Binka is spot on. I always use frozen dead' uns as mentioned in previous threads. Freeze batches of small bags of about half pint and you can grab and go. Put them in a tub of water when you arrive at the venue to keep them fresh.
Better than live ones IMHO.

Also can vouch for the service from Willeys Worms both for casters and worm.

sagalout

Reaction score
Freeze batches of small bags of about half pint
I freeze them in peanut butter jars they seem to freeze individually and then I can take out as many as I like and I thaw them in lake water when I get there. I have found no benefit to flavouring them.