Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angling blogs

Blog Entries

Default Angling blogs

I've looked in on numerous angling blogs/bloggers and as one does settled on reading the odd one or maybe two.
    It would seem that the ones I,ve been reading are writing less and less these days and thats allowing for the close season on rivers.
    Are angling blogs giving way to things like Facebook or other social media, or something where the blogger simply burns out over time, or, that they get fewer and fewer "hits" and become dissalusioned and simply give up?.

binka Guest

Default Re: Angling blogs

Not sure what the answer is on that one flight, especially as I'm no facebooker or social networker.

I think there are various audiences for bloggers from those that want to learn a few ideas to those that just want a bit of light hearted reading and entertainment, the latter appeals to me and if I think it's just someone trying to make a name for themselves then I don't bother but there are some that come across for genuinely enjoying writing about their fishing without any testosterone fuelled, results driven ego trip.

What was the question again?

I'm blog intolerant. There may be some good ones, but if there is I didn't find any. Just a load of wannabes. To write a good readable blog you have to consider the reader's interests, not just the author's desire to be read or an endless chain of product recommendations for whatever reasons.

The other thing that puts me off is that the blogger has sole editorial rights. If someone says that they are talking a load of bull that bit gets cut and binned. So they end up all syrupy and anal.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

To my mind there are two distinct types of blog. Those by people making money out of angling and those by people who'd quite like to be, even if they aren't actively chasing it. I don't have a great deal of time for the former, but the latter might be of interest if the angler concerned is known to me, or if the waters they fish are local/known to me. There are a couple of blogs I generally keep tabs on.

Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what purpose blogs really serve. However, I'm quite aware of the irony when that comes from a frequent forum poster. Forums can easily be considered equally pointless.

Provided such blogs make the writer happy, good luck to them. I just hope that they aren't especially bothered about an audience (much like forum posts!). Angling realities for most Joe Average anglers don't necessarily make for thrilling reading.

Blogs are a bit like the 'How did you get on thread' on here really. Sometimes you get a post where you know the water and it inspires you to get down there, or maybe a post where it's miles from you and you think you lucky sod! Sometime there are tales of woe that you can empathise with or just ones that are the basic "I caught this today" which are nice. There are also ones thats not really your bag so youmove on to the next one.

The point i'm making is it's the variety that makes for a wider audience and unless bloggers can be very versatile and diverse in their methods and venues then it's always going to be a niche audience for each one.

I do have an active blog - but its thankfully neglected... I can't be ar$ed to read anyone elses... hence my lack of interest in my own....

Plus, how can you have something meaningfully intelligent to write on a routine regular basis. When I'm fishing I generally flit between pondering the un-imponderable... that and wondering who would be the most enthusiastic in the bedroom... Fearn Cotton or Holly Willoughby...

Quote Originally Posted by chav professor View Post
    I do have an active blog - but its thankfully neglected... I can't be ar$ed to read anyone elses... hence my lack of interest in my own....

Plus, how can you have something meaningfully intelligent to write on a routine regular basis. When I'm fishing I generally flit between pondering the un-imponderable... that and wondering who would be the most enthusiastic in the bedroom... Fearn Cotton or Holly Willoughby...

Ahh....the inevitable progress of the blogger towards cheap sexual suggestiveness!
    Both lovely btw but Fearn is more discreet by far.
    It's a short life, enjoy every fin

[QUOTE=sam vimes;1342798]To my mind there are two distinct types of blog. Those by people making money out of angling and those by people who'd quite like to be, even if they aren't actively chasing it. I don't have a great deal of time for the former,

Where would you be without people making money out of angling. Assuming you use modern gear, modern baits, read the occasional angling book, look at the occasional TV programme, maybe even fish a commercial occasionally, follow the angling trust, belong to a club etc etc.; where would you be, where would we all be.

Sorry about this, its not a personal thing but, I hear this so often about people trying to make money out of angling as if its a dirty thing; everyone makes money from something. Yet, none of us would have the diversity or variety of things to chose from if people did not make money out of angling. This is what spurs the development of the sport; tackle, baits, methods, angling clubs, fisheries, almost everything; angling papers and literature included. There would be very little, the sport would have stood still.
    Last edited by markg; 08-06-2015 at 10:12.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Where would you be without people making money out of angling. Assuming you use modern gear, modern baits, read the occasional angling book, look at the occasional TV programme, maybe even fish a commercial occasionally, follow the angling trust, belong to a club etc etc.; where would you be, where would we all be.

Sorry about this, its not a personal thing but, I hear this so often about people trying to make money out of angling as if its a dirty thing; everyone makes money from something. Yet, none of us would have the diversity or variety of things to chose from if people did not make money out of angling. This is what spurs the development of the sport; tackle, baits, methods, angling clubs, fisheries, almost everything; angling papers and literature included. There would be very little, the sport would have stood still.
    I've no problem at all with people trying to make money out of angling. Good luck to them, I doubt it's easy. I'm less than keen when people aren't honest and up front about it. I don't like being stealth advertised at and I'm not overly enamoured by people involved with the trade trying to pass themselves off as ordinary Joes. Other than that, it's all gravy. It's certainly nothing to do with anyone making money, provided they are honest about it.

[quote=markg;1342847]
    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    To my mind there are two distinct types of blog. Those by people making money out of angling and those by people who'd quite like to be, even if they aren't actively chasing it. I don't have a great deal of time for the former,

You would be surprised how few actually make any money what so ever from appearing/writing in the media...

I totally agree with your sentiments though. Sensible/honest feedback or use of a specific brand is the driving force that has brought about progress from gut and horse hair.

Speaking from a purely personal point of view - I wouldn't rave on about something unless I justified its use...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast