cyclist/angler on towpath

john step

Reaction score
It was an unexpected finish but my intuition tells me it was probably staged?

jake182

Reaction score
Yeah probably staged but it still made me laugh,

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
As a regular canal angler I can sympathise but tbh most of them are sensible and patiently stop for a temporary towpath obstruction. One or two however can be loud and threatening, which is when I could happily launch a bike myself.
I've found the question "is that a mountain bike?" often does the trick...

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
It's clearly staged. You can see the cyclist hand the angler the bike.
I hope they bothered to get the bike out of the water.
Laugh? I thought I'd never start.

Keith M

Reaction score
Even if it was staged (and I suspect it was) I thought it was still quite humorous and made me chuckle. LOL.

I expect it didn't do the front forks a lot of good either; the way the bike hit the concrete bank just before it went into the canal.

Keith

Last edited:

soft plastic

Reaction score
Hmm... obviously staged but here's an alternative viewpoint. I have been fishing for over fifty years. However, these last few years even I, as an ardent angler, have become pretty disgusted by some of the antics of a few of our "brothers of the angle." Just what is it with these guys that think it is acceptable to ship a pole in across the bank, towpath etc with no regard whatsoever to others who may be walking, jogging etc behind them? If I see somebody playing a fish I am perfectly happy to wait until it is netted before walking past. Why is it that some of them can plainly see me coming yet have to block the path just to bait up, sort out a tangle or whatever, sometimes for a considerable amount of time? Just arrogance and bad manners and causes a lot of bad feeling between the public and fishermen. Rant over.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's the pure grumpiness of some anglers which gets me as well, smile for god's sake; it's supposed to be recreation.
We hear a lot of bad things about commercial fisheries on here but if they keep the miserable bu99ers away from the non angling public perhaps they really are a good thing.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
A posh lady in Weybridge on her bike collided with a kid on a bike coming the other way where I was fishing once on the Basingstoke canal, she fell into my maggots, her language wasn't very posh!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
image42.jpg

View image in gallery

If the towpath is busy I place my rollers as above. Not so much for the convenience to cyclists but to protect my eyewateringly expensive pole.....

greenie62

Reaction score
If the towpath is busy I place my rollers as above. Not so much for the convenience to cyclists but to protect my eyewateringly expensive pole.....

Well done PC - a lesson to all pole anglers!

The 'poles across the path' problem doesn't just apply on tow-paths - it's caused problems in a local country park where (Council tax-paying) dog-walkers and promenading families have been inconvenienced by the visiting pole anglers behaviour - to such an extent that the RO (the local council) is threatening to withdraw the Club's fishing lease if the anglers don't start behaving with due consideration to other users! :eek:

Hopefully it'll never come to that! Unfortunately - although the Club has the rights - it's also responsible for issuing Day Tickets!
Of course its never Members who block paths with expensive poles! :eek:mg:

jake182

Reaction score
I have an issue with it on my day ticket club water, I take my boy fishing there and I've had to pick him up and lift him over the pole before because the guy wouldn't move it, it's a good job my lad was there otherwise there would have been some colourfull language, but I do find a lot of them very inconsiderate, and match days are the worse because you have to walk past them to get to the other lake, some of them are very good, but a choice few really do my nut, surely they can just break it down, isn't that what pole fishing is all about, just seems unnessisary to me

theartist

Reaction score
I have an issue with it on my day ticket club water, I take my boy fishing there and I've had to pick him up and lift him over the pole before because the guy wouldn't move it, it's a good job my lad was there otherwise there would have been some colourfull language, but I do find a lot of them very inconsiderate, and match days are the worse because you have to walk past them to get to the other lake, some of them are very good, but a choice few really do my nut, surely they can just break it down, isn't that what pole fishing is all about, just seems unnessisary to me

I'd love to say I can't believe someone would do that but I too have had the same thing happen to me on a canal. Arrogance like that is something that tarnishes angling as a whole.

jake182

Reaction score
Like I said on a whole there pretty good, but it does just take a few to tarnish the lot,