Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default River Roding - Minnows on corn

Lobbed some corn in the river today got thousands minnows feeding like mad on it lol saying that when the fun begins next week I would be happy to even catch these!

Apology sound is the misses and kid that wouldn't shut up lol

Default Re: River Roding - Minnows on corn

River Roding...that brings back memories. It was my favourite place as a youngster. I used to catch a bus to the White Bear at Stanford Rivers and catch roach, chub and pike. The best fishing I had as a kid by far.

It was around this time of year, I think 8th June 2006, when I came across a minnow migration. They were milling around under the lip of a small weir and leaping it just like miniature salmon. Once or of they managed to leap the vertical water they had to swim like crazy over the curved and very shallow lip of the apron.

I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

What size hook would you need for minnows? As I'm not even joking I would be happy to catch these for first fish in about 4 years lol

I'd go with a 20 barbless and a single maggot on a light float. Sometimes if it's sunny they will take a bare hook. They maybe tiny but they attack anything small and edible. I wish they grew to a pound or two.....

Hi John,
    Have fished the Roding for over 50 years seen all it ups and downs. Also fished the White Bear section wonder if our paths crossed at sometime. Still remember walking back home from here when I missed the 175 bus. Think the walk was about 7miles.

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    Still remember walking back home from here when I missed the 175 bus. Think the walk was about 7miles.
    Another... One last cast?

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    I'd go with a 20 barbless and a single maggot on a light float. Sometimes if it's sunny they will take a bare hook. They maybe tiny but they attack anything small and edible. I wish they grew to a pound or two.....
    Cheers Peter - Will defo give it a go

It's astounding just how big a hook greedy little bait robbing minnows can squeeze in their traps. I've had them on hooks as big as a 10 with four maggots on them. However, if I felt the need to deliberately fish for them, I'd be using something no bigger than a 16. I doubt the need to go smaller than a 22.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    It's astounding just how big a hook greedy little bait robbing minnows can squeeze in their traps. I've had them on hooks as big as a 10 with four maggots on them. However, if I felt the need to deliberately fish for them, I'd be using something no bigger than a 16. I doubt the need to go smaller than a 22.
    That's a good trick in a perch or trout swim
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast