Silstar rod

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi Folks .

I have a Silstar 3545-300 rod+quivertips i need to replace some of the small rings on the quiver tips anyone know where i might get some i have looked on the net but cant find any that small .

It's an old favorite rod caught me a lot of fish but needs a bit of TLC ..

PG ..

slaphead

Reaction score
Have you tried Matchman Supplies -01559 813834.

They sell spare quiver tips.

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi MaggotDangler,
I have the Silstar 3545-290 with quiver tips. The little rings seem to be made from 2 turns of 5Amp fuse-wire then the 2 legs twisted into a single leg then whipped into place. I'd suggest you try this as a make-do & mend!

Have you tried Hopkins & Holloway - their Sales email service is very good :sales@hopkinsholloway.co.uk - might be worth a go.

Great little rods - well worth saving! :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hi MaggotDangler,
I have the Silstar 3545-290 with quiver tips. The little rings seem to be made from 2 turns of 5Amp fuse-wire then the 2 legs twisted into a single leg then whipped into place. I'd suggest you try this as a make-do & mend!

Have you tried Hopkins & Holloway - their Sales email service is very good :sales@hopkinsholloway.co.uk - might be worth a go.

Great little rods - well worth saving! :)

Not with fuse wire but i have some small stainless steel springs i was thinking of re-jigging .
I have looked at the comapnies suggested thanks but non of them seem to do the very small rings involved thanks anyway to all suggestions .

Yes Very nice rod will buy another one when i see one up for grabs at the right sort of money ,they are starting to fetch a few bob now around £40.00 i aint selling thou out with it again today at my small pool see if i can get some photos this time ..

Thanks ..

PG ..

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have looked at the comapnies suggested thanks but non of them seem to do the very small rings involved

Are you sure? Have you clicked on all of the links posted?
I'm having difficulty believing that none of the micro guides (specifically for quivertips) wouldn't do the job for you. Even the most basic sounds like a reasonable upgrade on what you seem to have.

Fuji MKG - Fuji - Rod Guides

A 2.5mm diameter is pretty damned small and it's better to not go too small anyway. At 29p, they are also cheap as hell.

greenie62

Reaction score
...A 2.5mm diameter is pretty damned small and it's better to not go too small anyway. At 29p, they are also cheap as hell.

Good guidance Sam,
I've just measured the rings on these tips - and they are 3.5mm. They need to be cheap as chips 'cos there's about 6 on each tip - depending on length! :eek:

BTW - I'm assuming the OP checked for spare tips in the butt section by unscrewing the brass plug! :eek::D:eek:mg: Sorry - too obvious! :eek:mg:
:thumbs:

robtherake

Reaction score
I came across the same problem when looking for replacement guides for an old Shakespeare feeder rod. Those tiny eyes that Sam linked to seem to be an excellent replacement (unless you'd like to maintain the original appearance) but I was after rings that a stop knot will pass through. A donor feeder rod (£5 from a boot sale) eventually provided the right ones at a bargain price.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Are you sure? Have you clicked on all of the links posted?
I'm having difficulty believing that none of the micro guides (specifically for quivertips) wouldn't do the job for you. Even the most basic sounds like a reasonable upgrade on what you seem to have.

Fuji MKG - Fuji - Rod Guides

A 2.5mm diameter is pretty damned small and it's better to not go too small anyway. At 29p, they are also cheap as hell.

Hummm well i thought i had clicked it to death but if that is the case i may have missed a click will have to have a butchers hook .

I am after around 3mm as they are all towards the back of the quiver tips ..

PG ..

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Good guidance Sam,
I've just measured the rings on these tips - and they are 3.5mm. They need to be cheap as chips 'cos there's about 6 on each tip - depending on length! :eek:

BTW - I'm assuming the OP checked for spare tips in the butt section by unscrewing the brass plug! :eek::D:eek:mg: Sorry - too obvious! :eek:mg:
:thumbs:

Well ahhh errrrrrrrrrr yepppp :) the one i am using is fine 2 need a number of new rings i am using the shortest one right now not sure of the wieghts of them .....

PG ..