What should a baliff do?

tincatim

Reaction score
I like a bailiff to be polite, friendly and happy to give information if asked for it. To be fair the vast majority are. Round here most of them are full of stories about monster catches and specimen beasts. I tend to indulge them and ask as much as I can about them while at the same time taking it all with a big pinch of salt.

One made me laugh recently at a local pool, I turned up to fish at 6:50, only to be told (from across the car park in broad, loud Yorkshire) that I shouldn't be there until 7am. The reason being some anglers make a lot of noise shouting and disturb the people in the caravans. Ironic I thought as he was yelling at the top of his voice. Anyway, there was a match on one half of the lake so I picked a peg out of the way and proceeded to catch steadily. About an hour after the match all in, the bailiff was back out and proceeded to visit each peg and tell each angler how to fish it, he pretty much told each one the same thing and then quick as a flash he was gone again. I couldn't help but think his advice probably did more to put them off than anything.

pf0x

Reaction score
You can almost see the disappointment in some of their faces when on meeting them for the first time they ask you for a ticket and you produce one. I think some like catching people out and chucking them off their water!

It's a bit of balancing act, isn't it?

A few years ago a river bailiff on the Hants Avon was incredibly helpful, showed me a few swims, gave some tips, told me not to just sit on my backside and wait for fish to find me. He was a great help. I don't think he did it with everyone. If he did, everyone would just fish the same swims, wouldn't they?

He may have just felt sorry for me(!) But he didn't tell me how and when to fish. He just gave examples of places where fish can be.

It really opened my eyes and inspired me to keep returning.

A bad example is cliquey carp lakes with Bailiffs who are more interested in protecting their own fishing than helping others.

robertroach

Reaction score
Some years ago I was in Christchurch AC and they had a bailiff to check on the trout fisheries. He was a real nasty piece of work, definitely the most unpleasant person I ever met in the club. One time I drove to one of the car parks through a drive with open gates and he gave me a real telling off for not closing the gates behind me. I said I always leave gates as I find them, open or closed, but it didn't improve the conversation. Another time he asked to check my club membership card and then my EA license, although he knew I was a member. I refused to show him my EA license, saying he had no right to check this. That conversation didn't go too well either. I left the club because I go fishing to relax, not to have angry confrontations.
Now that's the sort of bailiff you do not want.

pf0x

Reaction score
I was a member of CAC for a few years and luckily I never met him (I never met any bailiff actually). Having driven for 2 hours I wouldn't have appreciated that either.

The helpful bailiff I mentioned was at Bisterne. When he showed me a couple of swims there were no barbel about but in following visits they would sometimes be there so it became clear he knew what he was talking about. You never forget when someone goes out of their way to help you. Makes a huge difference.

On one small lake a miserable old women would collect the money. I set up in the morning and later a lad set up a bivvy next to me. She was adamant that the lad next to me must have fished overnight so tried to charge him for the night but even when I explained he had turned up after me she still wasn't having any of it. He could handle himself and just laughed it off but it was ridiculous.

Like you, I always leave gates as found. Unless the club make a big thing about insisting that a certain gate must always be closed at all times etc.

trotter2

Reaction score
Definitely not the best job in the world.
And not easy, at least at club level were bailiffs do the job for the price of a season ticket thrown in return for there good service.

Not many bailiffs like having to deal with yobs with no licence I can assure you.
They have my total respect for a thankless job.
Just as well someone does it. :thumbs:

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Baliffs are generally like people strangely enough.

The good, the bad and the mad.

As a club member I often ask anglers I don't recognise for their ticket.
Yes, last category.