Unhooking Mats

tincatim

Reaction score
I realise that I need to buy an unhooking mat, I tend to unhook fish in the net before putting them back but for photos or bigger fish a mat is required.

I'm after something light and easy to carry and that doesn't cost a fortune.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't have any other bits of their gear so don't know what their general quality is like , I've had one of these for many years (I believe it was something like £8.99 in a sale at the time) and it's still going strong (after protecting thousands of specimen fish.................;))

greenie62

Reaction score
And - why don't unhooking mat makers print a size guide on the surface of them to help give a scale for specimen piccies? It would be so simple to print a cm square pattern on the material!

They could probably even do a shrink-proof version for Binka so he wouldn't binka it after it got wet! After all - he got his forceps wet and shrank those! :eek::D

sam vimes

Reaction score
You can buy simple mats, like the one Barbelboi linked, pretty inexpensively. However, it's worth thinking about how you are going to carry them. I know many folks fold them into a chair. I often don't take a chair so they become a pain to carry. I also tend to prefer a mat with some sides, particularly on sloping river banks.

Without getting into the realms of silly money, and excessive sizes, commonly found in the branded carp tackle, there are good and more versatile options to look at. The downside is that they get more expensive.

I have had one of the old style Korum Multi Mats for many years now. I use it to carry a few odds and sods (banksticks, usually), but mainly as padding between me and a shoulder carried tackle bag or chair. Unfortunately, it would appear that the price of the latest incarnation is at least a tenner more than I recall the original being. However, it does seem to have a few extra twiddly bits and pockets. If they suit the way you fish, they could be worth paying the extra for. There are also a few more combination and plain mats in the Korum range that might be worth looking at.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I've also got the Korum Multi Mat (matches all the other stuff:eek:mg:) but found it a little bigger than I really wanted. Looking for one that fits in a bait pouch, which should be big enough for anything I catch:rolleyes:

tincatim

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments so far. The Korum does look good, maybe a little too big for me. I take my bits and bobs in a zip up bait bowel so don't need to carry much else. I'll have a search and see how much I can find one for.

The TFG looks ok for what I'd need it for. I'd just tuck it under my arm when walking. I could do with one that's got straps like a rucksack.

Hmm decisions decisions.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have one similar to the tfg mat, an ancient ultracult jobby. Works great, it does have two D rings on each end to peg it down (handy when breezy) which can also be used with a karabiner to clip to your bag, belt, waistcoat etc.

Last edited:

lovelyjubbly

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The new Korum Roll-A-Mat is what you want. Looks great. The old one was too thin.
Don't be tempted to go too cheap, the mats for a tenner are awful
Have a look on ebay for a good used one?

john step

Reaction score
I have one of the TFG ones that fold into somewhat bulky oblong shapes. Its OK but I prefer a mat I can roll into a cylinder shape if I need to carry it very far by using the straps on top of my rucsack. It leaves my hands free for chair etc.

nicepix

Reaction score
Up to yesterday I had no idea what make my unhooking mat was. Turns out it is the TFG folding one, probably like John Step's. I carry it with my chair between the seat and back when folded.

This is the one and only TFG item I have ever owned that has not prematurely failed, broke or disappointed. Unlike Jerry's though mine hasn't had thousands of specimen fish on it. But has served my old spaniel well as a dog bed and she recommends it.

tincatim

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I've got some food for thought now. Will take a trip to the local tackle shop and have a look at some I think before I decide.

Part of me thinks that buying one will mean I'll never catch a specimen fish again! I had a similar thing when I got a new bigger landing net.

wes79

Reaction score
I realise that I need to buy an unhooking mat, I tend to unhook fish in the net before putting them back but for photos or bigger fish a mat is required.

I'm after something light and easy to carry and that doesn't cost a fortune.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

bed-mattress-1.jpg

Why not give those Cats a bit of luxury? :D

only kidding.

I can reccomend the Aldi ones, I think theyt are around fiver, a local river pro has just given me his second hand rarely used and its brilliant, really light and very "cushion" has two rings either side for pegging down and two elasticated fabric keeper straps for stowing away and can be crushed into a small space in the rucksack if you need a minimalistic session.