Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unhooking Mats

Default Unhooking Mats

I realise that I need to buy an unhooking mat, I tend to unhook fish in the net before putting them back but for photos or bigger fish a mat is required.

I'm after something light and easy to carry and that doesn't cost a fortune.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Default Re: Unhooking Mats

I don't have any other bits of their gear so don't know what their general quality is like , I've had one of these for many years (I believe it was something like £8.99 in a sale at the time) and it's still going strong (after protecting thousands of specimen fish.................)
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

And - why don't unhooking mat makers print a size guide on the surface of them to help give a scale for specimen piccies? It would be so simple to print a cm square pattern on the material!

They could probably even do a shrink-proof version for Binka so he wouldn't binka it after it got wet! After all - he got his forceps wet and shrank those!

Or a crossword version.................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

You can buy simple mats, like the one Barbelboi linked, pretty inexpensively. However, it's worth thinking about how you are going to carry them. I know many folks fold them into a chair. I often don't take a chair so they become a pain to carry. I also tend to prefer a mat with some sides, particularly on sloping river banks.

Without getting into the realms of silly money, and excessive sizes, commonly found in the branded carp tackle, there are good and more versatile options to look at. The downside is that they get more expensive.

I have had one of the old style Korum Multi Mats for many years now. I use it to carry a few odds and sods (banksticks, usually), but mainly as padding between me and a shoulder carried tackle bag or chair. Unfortunately, it would appear that the price of the latest incarnation is at least a tenner more than I recall the original being. However, it does seem to have a few extra twiddly bits and pockets. If they suit the way you fish, they could be worth paying the extra for. There are also a few more combination and plain mats in the Korum range that might be worth looking at.

I've also got the Korum Multi Mat (matches all the other stuff) but found it a little bigger than I really wanted. Looking for one that fits in a bait pouch, which should be big enough for anything I catch
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Wink Re: Unhooking Mats

Thanks for the comments so far. The Korum does look good, maybe a little too big for me. I take my bits and bobs in a zip up bait bowel so don't need to carry much else. I'll have a search and see how much I can find one for.

The TFG looks ok for what I'd need it for. I'd just tuck it under my arm when walking. I could do with one that's got straps like a rucksack.

Hmm decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by tincatim View Post
    The Korum does look good, maybe a little too big for me.
    Unless they've significantly increased the size of the new version, I can tell you that a 10lb barbel doesn't leave much room to play with.

I have one similar to the tfg mat, an ancient ultracult jobby. Works great, it does have two D rings on each end to peg it down (handy when breezy) which can also be used with a karabiner to clip to your bag, belt, waistcoat etc.
    Last edited by The Sogster; 18-07-2015 at 18:15. Reason: added clarification

The new Korum Roll-A-Mat is what you want. Looks great. The old one was too thin.
    Don't be tempted to go too cheap, the mats for a tenner are awful
    Have a look on ebay for a good used one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast