casting with a centre pin reel

chrissh

Reaction score
last year I got my first ever centre pin reel with a line guard fitted I played around with it mostly flicking out short casts around the length of the rod and got on well with it.
now i want to cast a bit further and I'm getting in a mess the line over running or the float not landing where I want it I cannot cast strait what am I doing wrong .

peterjg

Reaction score
I'm afraid that you are going to start a lot of arguments with this thread - everyone has their own ideas re pins.

Unless your reel is a Rapidex type reel I suggest that you remove the line guard and then put the line on so that it comes off of the top of the reel - I know that it means you have to wind in backwards but you will get less tangles and the line comes off better when trotting.

When casting there are a few different methods to try:

You can gather a loop of line from between the two bottom rings or more loops of line from between more rings and as you bring the rod forward you release the loops at the appropriate moment.

Without a line guard you will be able to cast off of the side of the reel - in principle like a fixed spool reel. To do this I hold a pair of artery forceps in my left hand for the line to go around - it sounds awkward but it works well if you are legering.

Anther cast involves using a cast called the Wallis Cast which involves pulling on the reel as you cast which makes the reel spin releasing line. Again, when practising this cast is easier with a leger weight than light float tackle.

Good luck with the pin.

bracket

Reaction score
As peterjg says, very subjective this issue, everyone has their own take on it. Having fished with a centre pin on the Trent from the age of nine, this is the style I use, after watching many a Nottingham angler over my formative years. It is basically the Wallis, Avon, Nottingham cast, call it what you will, the result is the same. I begin with the reel mounted on the rod, drum on the left hand side (being right handed) and the line coming off from the bottom of the drum. Start with the rod roughly level with the edge of the bank and about 45 degrees to the vertical, the float about two to three feet below the rod tip. Take hold of the line between the reel to the first rod ring with your left hand thumb and forefinger and begin to gently cast from left to right. When the tackle gets in front of the rod tip, round about the 10 to 11 o'clock position during the cast, and requires more line to go further, pull the line you are holding away from your body and let go as you continue the cast. This will start the reel drum spinning and release more line for the tackle to continue further. Complete the cast by pointing the rod at the position you wish the float to enter the water. The rate that the line leaves the reel is controlled by feathering the rim of the drum with your thumb. It all sounds very involved but in reality, with a little practice, soon becomes one fluid action. Think I have included everything, sometimes when try you explain what you do automatically you forget to mention the obvious, hope this helps, if not there must be some examples on youtube. Pete.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice.

Start off with baby steps and you will automatically improve. No two people cast the same so read and watch as much as you can, use what works for you and ignore the rest.

When I was learning I managed to perfect what my mate described as the 'Grommet cast'.

Like riding a bike, one day it will all just click into place and you will find the float flying out with no perceptible thought or effort.

john step

Reaction score
As Titus says. Practice. Just use it and find your own best way ahead.
My first pin was bought with paper round money at 14. By my 20's I was skint and it was the only reel I possessed for a while.
That does concentrate the mind on technique!!

To be brutal..how far do you need to cast a float on a pin? 3 Rods is easily achieved for a waggler in stillwater. Further if you step up the weight of float .
Any more its easier to use a fixed spool. Particularly with the need to sink the line.

On a river the current takes the float away trotting anyway. This is where the free action is important. Its not important on stillwater where it can actually be a nuisance with the over run and tangles you mention.

Does your pin have a mechanism for reducing free running? If not, can you undo a central nut and insert a washer made from thick poly bag until you get proficient. This is for stillwater by the way. When practiced you will automatically control the spool with your thumb without thinking and overuns will be a lot less frequent!!

Pins are great for close in fishing with a pole float where lumps are expected. You can get sensitive presentation with ability to use stronger lines and play big fish.

Just get out there and enjoy but don't think distance is all. That will be come eventually anyway.

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Thank You All For Your Help

I have been doing more casting then fishing with the reel. ( as you say it all down to practice)

I only want that little extra on the cast 2-3 rod lengths the problem I'm getting is the float is going in all direction left & right but not straight

The reel was only a cheap TFG fitted with a line guard I have used it for trotting and had no problems and the same if I flick the float out a rod length .

trotter2

Reaction score
Its all down to timing mate.

Can you post a video?

trotter2

Reaction score
Just a suggestion :)

If you post a video showing the cast I and others will try and help you.
A Video paints a thousand words.

nicepix

Reaction score
As has been suggested; it is down to timing. Just take it steady and try and replicate the same actions at the same time every cast. If you don't then the tackle will be released in different directions like the ball on a roulette wheel.

You can cast straight forward by pointing your rod straight up and slightly forward while holding the shot or bait between your left little finger and palm. Let go of the shot or bait, lift the rod tip and the float should arc out straight ahead. Once you've got the hang of that you can then pull the line off the reel once the float has started its forward movement.

Once the reel is spinning it is a good idea to control and guide the line coming off it by forming a loop between index finger and thumb.