Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  95
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Otters?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Otters?

Yes the bodies were taken away.
    Don't know who by, if I see anyone I will ask them who collected them.

Possibly checking for lead shot ?
    Or just general condition.
    I know they turned up over a mile away from rivers sometimes.
    But they could just have been driven away by the parent otters when they wanted to breed again.
    Same thing happened with badger cubs every year.
    Thanks for that Seth it's more clearer now. As I said and its probably right, a licensed rehab centre is chipping the otters it rehabs before release back into the wild. The bodies are sent to the Wildlife Veterinary Investigation Centre or Cardiff University Otter Project for post mortem run by Dr Liz Chadwick. They've looked at over 1000 dead otters over the last 10 years or so. Neither have reported finding otters with lead shot in them as yet.
    One finding they have found from this long-term study is that 70% of the animals have died through road accidents. But of course there's no control on them according to some

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    No, actually that is not "it" at all. There is no need to attempt to make this into a class issue either.

For those who carry a torch for the Otter and state that they were around, what, 65 years ago? Then yes, but let's not forget then that the last pack of Otter Hounds was disbanded in October 1977, on the River Froome.

So, yes, the Otter was around then, but so was a controlled manner of culling the numbers, sadly that is not the case today.

In my general area alone there were Otterhound packs from, Dartmoor, Cheriton, Culmstock and Courtenay Tracy until jusdt before the ban on Otter Hunting in 1978
    As Peter has so rightly pointed out, Otter's were around, but so was a controlled manner of culling the numbers.

Bob
    http://www.calmproductions.com/acatalog.com/ospreysg.html#aOSPREY

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    As Peter has so rightly pointed out, Otter's were around, but so was a controlled manner of culling the numbers.

Bob
    Why does everything have to be controlled Eh ! .. you harp on about the Otters ( a native to the country) no one looks at the real danger to our fishing the EE invaders , (yes i spose the chalk streams get all the bailiffs patrolling them so you never see the problem if some of the bailiffs were to pay more attention to other areas there would soon be a change of tune bank on it ..

PG ..

I don't know that much about this subject hence the reason I have not posted on it...I have only seen otters a couple of times in 50 years of angling despite me being an avid river angler.

I haven't witnessed any damage to fish stocks by these creatures either and I don't know why but the otter "problem" doesn't seem to exist where I fish.

Therefore I have based my opinion on those facts as it is all I can do......Otters are part of the Eco System.... that I do know, and consequently prey on big fish.......just like spiders prey on flies or pike prey on smaller fish or owls prey on mice or cats prey on birds ....or as benny says....lions prey on anything they can eat....etc etc etc

.....so what.....it's how the world goes round.....get over it!

Maverick
    Last edited by maverick 7; 28-07-2015 at 08:18.

Blog Entries

Mav I remember a thread by yourself some time ago where you were bemoaning the lack of fish being caught on your river trips, could it be that Otters were/are part of the problem?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post

Bob
    And the number of Vehicles then as to now and road kill incidents?
    No controls????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    And the number of Vehicles then as to now and road kill incidents?
    No controls????
    Now come on Phil, that is stretching a point . . . . . . .

The underlaying principle here is that when Otters were an integral part of our landscape and natural environment (and before the hunting ban) there were measures in place to control the numbers both in total and in specific areas.

These days we have no control whatsoever resulting (in some areas) in much larger populations than many rivers can handle.

The result being that the Otter will travel further afield (and yes, some will get run over in the process) and populate another area and cause the same problem there over time.

There will come a time, and probably in the not too distant future, when it will become necessary for annual culls of Otters, and I can just imagine the resultant outcry.

As an environmentalist (and one who's opinion I value) you cannot tell me that there are absoultely no ill effects from the release of these apex predators into our rivers and stillwaters without imposing some (essential) controls.
    Last edited by Peter Jacobs; 28-07-2015 at 11:26.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    Mav I remember a thread by yourself some time ago where you were bemoaning the lack of fish being caught on your river trips, could it be that Otters were/are part of the problem?
    'Tis true Crow........I was bemoaning the lack of fish on the Trent last year (basically I was referring to barbel though) and up to now this year is not much better either......

However mate, I doubt very, very much that otters are to blame....I think it was more or less down to my own ignorance by not keeping up with what was going on....in other words I was fishing in the past....I just wasn't doing what I should have been doing where the barbel was concerned. I did OK on the stick with the silver fish....tons of them but not many barbel last year.

There are many other reasons for this crow as I am sure you are aware of but otters?......I don't think so.

I have not seen one iota of evidence of otters being present mate.....and I haven't heard a word about them from other anglers either and I talk a lot to the Ashfield guys but I don't recall any reference to them at all.

Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    I would imagine there are more fish accidentally killed by anglers across the country in a week than the whole otter population in the UK eat in a year.
    How did you come to that assumption?

On average an adult otter eats 1-1.5kg of fish per day, so 350-550kg per year. The UK otter population is estimated at 10,000 (according to NE), this equates to an annual consumption of 3500-5000 tons or 7,700,000-12,100.00lbs!

Still stand by your statement??

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    Now come on Phil, that is stretching a point . . . . . . .

The underlaying principle here is that when Otters were an integral part of our landscape and natural environment (and before the hunting ban) there were measures in place to ocntrol the numbers both in total and in specific areas.

These days we have no control whatsoever resulting (in some areas) in much larger populations than many rivers can handle.

The result being that the Otter will travel further afield (and yes, some will get run over in the process) and populate another area and cause the same problem there over time.

There will come a time, and probably in the not too distant future, when it will become necessary for annual culls of Otters, and I can just imagine the resultant outcry.

As an environmentalist (and one who's opinion I value) you cannot tell me that there are absoultely no ill effects from the release of these apex predators into our rivers and stillwaters without imposing some (essential) controls.
    The bit where we differ though Peter is that I don't think hunting is required as the otters will regulate themselves apex predators always will do , ok thee will be minor variation and other cycles gig on, if you add in the fact that the animal is already pressurised by pollution and cars then I think the animal should and could be simply left alone.

I'do be interested in the Bad One's opinion of that.
    The hole in that argument for me is the cormorant I.e. A situation where you have two apex predators that live in different planes with the cormorant being an animal that doesn't seem to require distance from its fellows.

Peter how many would you shoot ? To know that you need to have an accurate estimate of current numbers , again I'd like TBO's opinion on this but my belief is that when you cull this kind of animal they recover at a faster rate than normal as you have thinned them out and thus provided more space for otters that might , normally , fail to stake out a territory.

---------- Post added at 12:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cg74 View Post
    How did you come to that assumption?

On average an adult otter eats 1-1.5kg of fish per day, so 350-550kg per year. The UK otter population is estimated at 10,000 (according to NE), this equates to an annual consumption of 3500-5000 tons or 7,700,000-12,100.00lbs!

Still stand by your statement??
    Where did you get 10000 from Colin ?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast