Will they be replaced

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
There's no doubt that a fair few well known media anglers have been forced to give up on various forms of internet interaction. However, you've actually managed to encompass the equally off putting flip side, possibly without intending to.

Do newcomers really want to be condescended to by self important, sometimes self appointed, angling/forum grandees? I rather doubt it.

--------

Sometimes Sam the truth hurts.

And it was not Newcomers, but self important, self appointed, angling/forum grandees, who took it apon themselves to destroy others articles !!

Often these posters have never caught a decent fish in their lives and jealous of those who put in writing something they could never do !!

Sorry mate it will not wash, there is an element who only know how to knock others efforts.

So why in the world would the article writers want to to post on this and many other similar sites ?

Bob

sam vimes

Reaction score
--------

Sometimes Sam the truth hurts.

And it was not Newcomers, but self important, self appointed, angling/forum grandees, who took it apon themselves to destroy others articles !!

Often these posters have never caught a decent fish in their lives and jealous of those who put in writing something they could never do !!

Sorry mate it will not wash, there is an element who only know how to knock others efforts.

So why in the world would the article writers want to to post on this and many other similar sites ?

Bob

Bob,
I wasn't disagreeing, just pointing out that some of the names can be equally off putting to a newcomer. Sometimes the their name is quite enough, sometimes it's a superior attitude. That's not an excuse for anyone to harangue and force anyone off a forum, just a truth as I see it. Unfortunately, it's a truth I've seen exhibited in more than one type of forum.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Fair enough Sam,

But a great shame to loose good anglers and writers because a small section of poster could only take the P**s.

And when you way it up they were indeed the people never likely to catch anything worth while.

Keyboard Warriors who main aim in life is to undermine other efforts.

Bob

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Fair enough Sam,

But a great shame to loose good anglers and writers because a small section of poster could only take the P**s.

And when you way it up they were indeed the people never likely to catch anything worth while.

Keyboard Warriors who main aim in life is to undermine other efforts.

Bob

Do you mean worthwhile in terms of size Bob or effort ?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I don't think we need a core of respected anglers everyone is equal on here we simply need people who are willing to take the time to post and the time to be interested in what others are saying. Some are very proficient at angling others at writing others at something else as long as it's written with enthusiasm who cares.

Benny, speaking for myself, give me the practical angler who is proficient, rather than the accomplished armchair theorist any time, regardless of how well he writes. Others may differ, but that's me.

stripey

Reaction score
i find F M to be informative,homorous,and engaging, it is a forum,a discussion between like minded people who have a common interest in a great pastime/hobby, you will always get some people who will give snide remarks or back biting, it happens in angling clubs it happens in all forms of sporting institutes, it happens in life in general, just bite your lip and get on with life, these people are usually lacking in self confidence, and therefore become jealous of other people, the first time i came across it was at club level in team matches, with people who didn't get in the team,calling people who had got a deserved place in the team,the main offenders where established local rods who didn't like being sidelined by youngsters who had opened minds and would try new methods,some folk do not like change,this leads to back biting,needless to say but my team fishing was short lived.

P

pointngo

As someone relatively new to FM, I find it a nice forum to visit, but, and this is just an observation, there's nothing obvious I could/can see that requests articles, who to send them to etc.

I'm not saying it's for me and I may be guilty of not looking at all the rules, sections etc on the forum, so it may be there, but it doesn't seem obvious to anyone new coming onto the site who may want to write an article.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
there's nothing obvious I could/can see that requests articles, who to send them to etc.

If you look at the very top (dark green bar) and click on Contact then click on the 5th line down "Submit a Feature" and then follow the Submit A Story boxes:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/submit_story/index.html

That's is all there is to it . . . . . . a word document format is all that is required and photos, drawings etc, as separate files.

Last edited:
P

pointngo

Thanks Peter, it's obvious now you've pointed it out but that's my point really. Without being told, it's not easy to find and once there, there doesn't seem to be any direction with regards to number of words, pics etc.

For a lot of people coming onto the site, they'd not know if articles were even wanted. Most forums/clubs fall short on article material so if more are wanted it might be better being highlighted and/or asked for.

As I say, it was just an observation. As for the OP, I haven't been around on FM long enough to know why people left en masse but all forums have regular turnover of people.

bracket

Reaction score
I am a newcomer to the Forum and find it an enjoyable and instructive place to visit. With regards to angling I have been around the block that many times one more lap will make me dizzy. I do not visit the Forum specifically to garner information but to hear others points of view and comments. So basically just for the Craic, but to be honest there have been things that I found I did not know or considered, but do now thanks to this Forum. There is a wealth of information by way of videos and the like available via this forum so I don't feel a surfit or lack of "Big Names" in anyway effects the popularity of the Forum. To qualify that comment I would point to the most contributed to thread "How did you get on?" no big names needed there, just input from your average angler with no sponsor to promote and delightful it is to. Pete.

theartist

Reaction score
I am a newcomer to the Forum and find it an enjoyable and instructive place to visit. With regards to angling I have been around the block that many times one more lap will make me dizzy. I do not visit the Forum specifically to garner information but to hear others points of view and comments. So basically just for the Craic, but to be honest there have been things that I found I did not know or considered, but do now thanks to this Forum. There is a wealth of information by way of videos and the like available via this forum so I don't feel a surfit or lack of "Big Names" in anyway effects the popularity of the Forum. To qualify that comment I would point to the most contributed to thread "How did you get on?" no big names needed there, just input from your average angler with no sponsor to promote and delightful it is to. Pete.

The 'how you get on thread' always the thread of the month as far as i'm concerned. Anglers of varying ability, talking about varying success. Sometimes the blanks are a better read than the red letter days. Like you say no sponsorship or references to guiding or your own gear. Just us ramblin' on. Plenty of good tips can be garnered from the average man.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Do you mean worthwhile in terms of size Bob or effort ?

Both, the only thing they could do was denigrate some first class anglers who use to answer question on the forum and contribute articles.

They gave up, preferring to keep in touch with friends via P.M.s and keeping their heads down.

It's not only this forum, it's many, but the question was asked here !

Bob

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Both, the only thing they could do was denigrate some first class anglers who use to answer question on the forum and contribute articles.

They gave up, preferring to keep in touch with friends via P.M.s and keeping their heads down.

It's not only this forum, it's many, but the question was asked here !

Bob

My most "worthy" fish was a 4 lb plus perch caught on the curly wurley canal in the middle of winter having twitched a worm alongside various reed beds and after a total blank time of around 27 elapsed hours - I was really a fanatic in those days , hunkered down in my chair watching the warm lights of the bus pass over the bridge and which could have taken me home.

It was as long as my landing net in fact its tail flicked slightly over , but a little on the slim side , which is probably why it took my bait - nothing else would.

My point is even happy splodgers can catch worthy fish but forums for me are much more about reading whats happening to others , I dont aspire to some worthy fishing ideal , though I do admire people who make considerable effort , I think that is rather lacking these days.

wes79

Reaction score
I love fishing magic forum, having hardly any friends in real life I can have a laugh here or a little disagreement and still feel like I'm part of a fishing community, whatever the weather.

I get advice for free, I get to have a laugh and learn from you guys and hopefully in turn I might collect enough wise-sage fishing tricks to pass on to others later on (If I don't get banned).

So whats not to like about FM?

All I need to do is ask and someone answers me question, normally top quality advice, if its **** its because its funny in some way, I still hit the "like" button though.

Wher esle would you get a break down of Aldi fishing gear, heads up on a bivvy doll, or "what landing net" threads.....

I love this place.

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
And so say all of us.........well, most of us, anyway !

Personally, I don't do ' controversy ' generally speaking ( although I may inadvertently 'sail close to the wind at times ) so if I think I've said something which might upset some or be misconstrued, or begin to turn a Thread into a slanging match I tend to add " The above is only my opinion and others may have different ideas " which seems to take the sting out of situations.
Granted, some will always ignore such as this, and if that's the case and I see a possible fight ' developing of which I have no interest, I just don't post again on that Thread - most of the time , anyway !

It takes two minimum to start an argument...................right ?

Basically, what Wes79 says....and anyway, life is too short.

ps ......but if anyone wants a right proper row, then I'm your man !!!

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
There's no doubt that a fair few well known media anglers have been forced to give up on various forms of internet interaction. However, you've actually managed to encompass the equally off putting flip side, possibly without intending to.

Do newcomers really want to be condescended to by self important, sometimes self appointed, angling/forum grandees? I rather doubt it.

I have spent the last couple of days searching for what you refer to as ''Forum Grandee's'' Sam. As far as I can determine only ''one'' would qualify for that label.

In contrast, there has been a number of good helpful guys driven off this forum by ''nit picking, self appointed'' barrack room lawyers. And I for one feel extremely saddened by that fact, and I know of several others who feel the same, but for some reason are reluctant to comment. Is this a form of inferiority that prompts the ''nit pickers'' to behave in this way. It puts you in mind of ''Albert and the Lion''

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have spent the last couple of days searching for what you refer to as ''Forum Grandee's'' Sam. As far as I can determine only ''one'' would qualify for that label.

In contrast, there has been a number of good helpful guys driven off this forum by ''nit picking, self appointed'' barrack room lawyers. And I for one feel extremely saddened by that fact, and I know of several others who feel the same, but for some reason are reluctant to comment. Is this a form of inferiority that prompts the ''nit pickers'' to behave in this way. It puts you in mind of ''Albert and the Lion''

----------

Totally agree Derek.

A great shame that some very good anglers have given up posting on this and other sites because of the mindless few spoilers who just want to bring a site down to their level ?

Bob

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:51 ----------

And Benny,

Some anglers get lucky and catch the odd big fish or draw a lucky peg and win a match.

But really good anglers catch consistently year in year out and not just on private water, but waters open to all.

Sound watercraft, good fishing practices and well thought out baiting patterns, plus of course a desire to do the time and put in the effort.

I would have thought most angler would want to hear what they had to say, not knock these successful angler at every opportunity.

Bob

no-one in particular

Reaction score
What anglers are catching, where and how is fundamental to any angling forum Its the first question you ask an angler on the bank. You wouldn't ask him if he was a top angler first, how good his water craft was or judge him on his center pin and walk off he was not up to your high standards; I hope not anyway.
That's why the how did you get on thread is so good.

flightliner

Reaction score
There's also the possibility that after a long period of time and several thousand posts a member may just feel the need for a break, just like a long time on a water will bring about the desire to find pastures new.
A few knocks from other posters may just make his mind up to leave whereas sometime earlier the comments would have ignored.
One well known ex member was so harrassed by some here, on his blog, and I think on facebook that he has taken legal advice to put an end to it.