Will they be replaced

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Over these last few years we have witnessed a number of people leaving the site for a variety of reasons. Some of those have been vastly experienced and ''successful'' anglers, who contributed on a regular basis to the forums. I know of several who have become disillusioned, whilst others have been banned for a given period, often never to return.

Yes, I understand that these issues are cyclical to a degree.But crikey, just pause for a minute, would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of members join this and other sites to gain knowledge, and may be influenced in ''which'' site by the regular contributors. And yes, I accept some may be deterred initially if they see snide comments and infighting.

We need a ''core'' of respected anglers, and the way I see it is that we have lost too many. And I fear we cannot redress the balance.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm afraid I agree with you entirely Derek. I learned an awful lot from some of those that have left & this place is the poorer for their departure. I dont miss all of them...but a lot of good guys are gone. Will they be replaced ? Sadly, I suspect not.

Last edited:
B

binka

I guess only time will tell Derek.

I suspect there are already many members with a deep knowledge that haven't, for whatever reason, yet become prominent posters but I would expect a natural progression as part of the whole forum culture thing.

I still find FM fun, I enjoy the features, like the e-zine format and knowledge has always been shared on the forum when I've sought it but the bottom line is that any forum is only as good as the input from its members.

I always think it's sad to see prominent posters, with in depth knowledge, go for any reason but I do think that there are plenty of new seeds waiting to germinate and the more we can all encourage that the better our forum will be.

By contrast I actually thought the number of members logged in had risen recently with more than a thousand at a time frequently logged in during the mid to late evenings which I was especially surprised at given this is often a quiet time of the year although I appreciate there is a big difference between output and input in terms of actual participation.

The one thing I would like to see much more of is member contributions for the feature articles based on either their fishing experiences or specific rigs, a new piece of gear maybe or a particular species etc., I had a go at one once and found it very enjoyable to write but I have to admit to having lay fallow ever since.

greenie62

Reaction score
...The one thing I would like to see much more of is member contributions for the feature articles based on either their fishing experiences or specific rigs, a new piece of gear maybe or a particular species etc., I had a go at one once and found it very enjoyable to write but I have to admit to having lay fallow ever since.

Good point Binka,
Do the Editors supply any help in forming feature articles? How does one submit them? Perhaps some guidelines could be supplied for FM members who are keen to write articles - including tips on including diagrams, photos, etc?

There are probably a few of us who are keen to write articles but have little experience, on this forum, and just need a push in the right direction. :)

Tight Lines :thumbs:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that there are still a solid hard core of very experienced and successful anglers who contribute here on FM.

As to those who have left, then think back 3 or 4 years when there was an exodus of around 80 or so very experienced anglers, and yet the site recovered and has progressed well since then, so I think it is also cyclic.

As to those who, over the years have been banned, if a permanent ban then sadly there would be no way back; we tried this once with disasterous results and that is not to be repeated.

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

How does one submit them? Perhaps some guidelines could be supplied for FM members who are keen to write articles - including tips on including diagrams, photos, etc?

Typically you can submit an article in a Word document with the pictures separate files. Just include in (parenthesis) in the text where you want each picture to go and it can be formated really easily.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Perhaps it would be appropriate to rework the old adage to read 'Ask not what FM can do for you, ask what you can do for FM'

I would agree with Derek in that there used to be a substantial core of members who contributed to the site whether with involvement on the Forums, or by submitting informative, thought provoking or amusing articles. (even my own pathetic attempts were accepted)This gave the site the feeling that it was for the members and by the members, and perhaps a magazine style of articles by well respected contributors who are not necessarily personally 'known' by the members leads to a detached feeling.

Whilst there may never be a similar core of 'good guys' maybe the site needs anglers who are willing to give more to the site than they get in order to help and encourage others.

And I will hold my hands up and confess. I am no expert angler, there are no pearls of wisdom to be gleaned from the way I go about my fishing. So the only way I felt I could repay my membership of FM was to submit articles what I hoped would be mildly amusing to other members (The jury's still out on that...)

And I am uncomfortable with the fact that for a number of reason I haven't been able to submit many ramblings for consideration of late. Whether or not they would be welcomed, I don't know, but I am sure the Editor would far rather have too many submissions from the members than have to scratch around for articles to put up on the site. And the other members would do well to support anyone who does have the courage to do so, which can only increase the sense of community on the site.

tincatim

Reaction score
I've not been a member on here for all that long really but I have noticed a lot of regular contributors disappear. Where they've all gone I don't know, there's only so many decent fishing forums out there.

There's still plenty of experience and knowledge left on here though. I'm no master angler but I'd say I'm fairly competent in a range of areas. It doesn't matter how much we know though, because we can all still learn something new.

It just needs everyone to join in, if we've got a thousand people logged in at peak time and only ten people posting, that's not ideal. I'd imagine there's some very good anglers out there reading but not posting.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to submit many ramblings for consideration of late. Whether or not they would be welcomed

For anyone who is relatively new to FM then Kevin's Donald and Damian articles are some of the very best we have ever had here on FM.

Kevin, anytime you feel like it then we'd love to see more of the same . . . . . .

john step

Reaction score
I dip into FM most days since I discovered how to use a lap top rather late in life. Rather like a magazine. For the life of me I couldn't begin to understand what Peter says about how to submit an article. Sorry.

My" problem" is that although I would never regard myself as an expert I have lived and breathed fishing since childhood and often have memories and experience of subjects raised . Do I put my oar in yet again? Oh its gobby know all again. I do get plenty of "likes" so perhaps I don't bore everyone.

I wonder if others wonder this and keep heads below the parapet.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It's noticeable that many posters on the "How did you get on" thread produce excellent mini-articles combined with really good photographs. If I haven't mentioned you please don't be offended but perhaps Simon could produce a "match fishing" article, Tigger on trotting for Barbel, Neil1970 on lure fishing, Sam Vimes on his quest for manic Brownies :) Binka on forceps and how to capture them on film:D etc. etc.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
For anyone who is relatively new to FM then Kevin's Donald and Damian articles are some of the very best we have ever had here on FM.

Kevin, anytime you feel like it then we'd love to see more of the same . . . . . .

Peter, many thanks for your kind words. D & D sprung up as a one-off from the Alternative Angler ramblings and the pair took off on a life of their own with nigh on 20 episodes to date. As to any more - difficult to say without them become too formulaic, although that doesn't seem to be a problem with large numbers of TV sitcoms.....!

For anyone thinking about submitting an article I would say make sure you include something of yourself in the writing. Offering up episode #7528 of 'How to fish a pellet waggler on a commercial' may not hold a great deal of interest, but include how you got lost getting there, took the wrong/no bait, completely blanked on the 'flyer' peg and any other else that makes you human may be more readable.

And take heart from someone who has amazed himself by producing almost 300 articles while possessing absolutely no angling prowess, if I can do it, anyone can.......!!

And finally Peter, whilst I may have to wrestle with another D & D maybe there is also room for a furherr episode of the 'Silt - Walters' saga, or I might even dust down 'Amanda' and bring her out for another twirl to see if she can still raise the blood pressure........

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Peter, with the greatest of respect I am thinking of that particular period of three or four years ago. As to the site progressing well since then, well I am finding it difficult to accept that. If you recall some of the debates often went on into the wee hours. Yes, some were heated, but the protagonists were ''passionate'',many joined in the fray,(not the Barbel wars by the way). The site was vibrant and stimulating, but I don't recall any banning, though I may be wrong.

To me the site has become diluted to a point where it has become a concern. Perhaps time for reflection, it's the only way forward in my humble opinion, as I don't for the life of me share ''Binka's'' hopes of new seeds germinating.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I know what you mean Derek, and I well remember the lingering and often titilating discssions with the likes of Warren, Eddie, Dave (the Bonecollector) Graham M, Barney, Big Rik, "Bristol" Steve the Whatmores and many more besides.

All excellent anglers in their own right and with a true humorous streak as well . . . . . . . .

Some of the articles from the likes of Mark Wintle and Dave Slater are still as good now as they were when first written, particularly Mark's Beginners Series and Dave's Chub series of articles.

terry m

Reaction score
The quality of any forum is dependant on the 'crowd'. If 95% of the crowd sit in the background and say nothing, then the discussion, and therefore the output - and ultimately the benefits - will be limited.

If regular contributors are leaving in significant numbers then any countermeasure to that needs to start with understanding the underlying reason - not necessarily the immediate reason - for the exodus. Until that happens then the churn will continue.

IMO some level of churn in these environments is good.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Forums ebb and flow over time. Members and staff come and go. In my experience, fishing forums are usually quieter in the warmer months of the fishing season. However, there is a general downward trend with regard to forum use. It's slowly becoming a medium of the past. The evidence is plain when you look at the ever increasing average age of forum users. On a fishing forum, you can also point to the ever increasing average age of angling participants. Sooner or later, forums will go the way of the various BBS and Usenet predecessors.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
It only takes a few idiots to put you off posting, I'm sure the majority of poster on FM are good blokes, but there a few who, umm what's the words !!

And it's this few who stop good anglers posting ?

What is the point if the same old few are forever putting down a particular poster, it certainly winds me up and I know there are a few others who feel the same.

And the amazing thing is, they can't even see it !!

I have written a few articles in the past, but if you read some of the comments, it was one or two off the regular idiots who put me off writing any more for FM.

One very well known anglers gave up posting on site, because of a few idiots and that was a shame, but not surprising !!

Would you want to be knocked at every opportunity by some complete and utter no hoper with a grudge, I think not ?

Bob

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
One very well known anglers gave up posting on site, because of a few idiots and that was a shame, but not surprising !!

Would you want to be knocked at every opportunity by some complete and utter no hoper with a grudge, I think not ?

There's no doubt that a fair few well known media anglers have been forced to give up on various forms of internet interaction. However, you've actually managed to encompass the equally off putting flip side, possibly without intending to.

Do newcomers really want to be condescended to by self important, sometimes self appointed, angling/forum grandees? I rather doubt it.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I don't think we need a core of respected anglers everyone is equal on here we simply need people who are willing to take the time to post and the time to be interested in what others are saying. Some are very proficient at angling others at writing others at something else as long as it's written with enthusiasm who cares.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm as "guilty" as Kevin (but nowhere near as prolific or indeed talented). I first penned a piece and the then Editor knocked it into shape and provided images from library stock before it ever found it's way onto the site. That prompted several move attempts which it seemed required less and less guidance and editing from the Ed.

More recently IW often offered to do the same for other budding writers. I'm sure Cliff is also more than willing to do the same, it's often the best way to encourage those new to the thought of writing for an audience.

Most of the regular contributors to the forum always have something to say (!) so why not have a go? :)