Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  122
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Will they be replaced

Over these last few years we have witnessed a number of people leaving the site for a variety of reasons. Some of those have been vastly experienced and ''successful'' anglers, who contributed on a regular basis to the forums. I know of several who have become disillusioned, whilst others have been banned for a given period, often never to return.

Yes, I understand that these issues are cyclical to a degree.But crikey, just pause for a minute, would I be wrong in assuming that the majority of members join this and other sites to gain knowledge, and may be influenced in ''which'' site by the regular contributors. And yes, I accept some may be deterred initially if they see snide comments and infighting.

We need a ''core'' of respected anglers, and the way I see it is that we have lost too many. And I fear we cannot redress the balance.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: Will they be replaced

I'm afraid I agree with you entirely Derek. I learned an awful lot from some of those that have left & this place is the poorer for their departure. I dont miss all of them...but a lot of good guys are gone. Will they be replaced ? Sadly, I suspect not.
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 07-08-2015 at 08:23.

binka Guest

I guess only time will tell Derek.

I suspect there are already many members with a deep knowledge that haven't, for whatever reason, yet become prominent posters but I would expect a natural progression as part of the whole forum culture thing.

I still find FM fun, I enjoy the features, like the e-zine format and knowledge has always been shared on the forum when I've sought it but the bottom line is that any forum is only as good as the input from its members.

I always think it's sad to see prominent posters, with in depth knowledge, go for any reason but I do think that there are plenty of new seeds waiting to germinate and the more we can all encourage that the better our forum will be.

By contrast I actually thought the number of members logged in had risen recently with more than a thousand at a time frequently logged in during the mid to late evenings which I was especially surprised at given this is often a quiet time of the year although I appreciate there is a big difference between output and input in terms of actual participation.

The one thing I would like to see much more of is member contributions for the feature articles based on either their fishing experiences or specific rigs, a new piece of gear maybe or a particular species etc., I had a go at one once and found it very enjoyable to write but I have to admit to having lay fallow ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    ...The one thing I would like to see much more of is member contributions for the feature articles based on either their fishing experiences or specific rigs, a new piece of gear maybe or a particular species etc., I had a go at one once and found it very enjoyable to write but I have to admit to having lay fallow ever since.
    Good point Binka,
    Do the Editors supply any help in forming feature articles? How does one submit them? Perhaps some guidelines could be supplied for FM members who are keen to write articles - including tips on including diagrams, photos, etc?

There are probably a few of us who are keen to write articles but have little experience, on this forum, and just need a push in the right direction.

Tight Lines

Blog Entries

I would say that there are still a solid hard core of very experienced and successful anglers who contribute here on FM.

As to those who have left, then think back 3 or 4 years when there was an exodus of around 80 or so very experienced anglers, and yet the site recovered and has progressed well since then, so I think it is also cyclic.

As to those who, over the years have been banned, if a permanent ban then sadly there would be no way back; we tried this once with disasterous results and that is not to be repeated.

---------- Post added at 10:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by greenie62 View Post
    How does one submit them? Perhaps some guidelines could be supplied for FM members who are keen to write articles - including tips on including diagrams, photos, etc?
    Typically you can submit an article in a Word document with the pictures separate files. Just include in (parenthesis) in the text where you want each picture to go and it can be formated really easily.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Perhaps it would be appropriate to rework the old adage to read 'Ask not what FM can do for you, ask what you can do for FM'

I would agree with Derek in that there used to be a substantial core of members who contributed to the site whether with involvement on the Forums, or by submitting informative, thought provoking or amusing articles. (even my own pathetic attempts were accepted)This gave the site the feeling that it was for the members and by the members, and perhaps a magazine style of articles by well respected contributors who are not necessarily personally 'known' by the members leads to a detached feeling.

Whilst there may never be a similar core of 'good guys' maybe the site needs anglers who are willing to give more to the site than they get in order to help and encourage others.

And I will hold my hands up and confess. I am no expert angler, there are no pearls of wisdom to be gleaned from the way I go about my fishing. So the only way I felt I could repay my membership of FM was to submit articles what I hoped would be mildly amusing to other members (The jury's still out on that...)

And I am uncomfortable with the fact that for a number of reason I haven't been able to submit many ramblings for consideration of late. Whether or not they would be welcomed, I don't know, but I am sure the Editor would far rather have too many submissions from the members than have to scratch around for articles to put up on the site. And the other members would do well to support anyone who does have the courage to do so, which can only increase the sense of community on the site.
    Still not sure what's going on

I've not been a member on here for all that long really but I have noticed a lot of regular contributors disappear. Where they've all gone I don't know, there's only so many decent fishing forums out there.

There's still plenty of experience and knowledge left on here though. I'm no master angler but I'd say I'm fairly competent in a range of areas. It doesn't matter how much we know though, because we can all still learn something new.

It just needs everyone to join in, if we've got a thousand people logged in at peak time and only ten people posting, that's not ideal. I'd imagine there's some very good anglers out there reading but not posting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perkins View Post
    I haven't been able to submit many ramblings for consideration of late. Whether or not they would be welcomed
    For anyone who is relatively new to FM then Kevin's Donald and Damian articles are some of the very best we have ever had here on FM.

Kevin, anytime you feel like it then we'd love to see more of the same . . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I dip into FM most days since I discovered how to use a lap top rather late in life. Rather like a magazine. For the life of me I couldn't begin to understand what Peter says about how to submit an article. Sorry.

My" problem" is that although I would never regard myself as an expert I have lived and breathed fishing since childhood and often have memories and experience of subjects raised . Do I put my oar in yet again? Oh its gobby know all again. I do get plenty of "likes" so perhaps I don't bore everyone.

I wonder if others wonder this and keep heads below the parapet.

It's noticeable that many posters on the "How did you get on" thread produce excellent mini-articles combined with really good photographs. If I haven't mentioned you please don't be offended but perhaps Simon could produce a "match fishing" article, Tigger on trotting for Barbel, Neil1970 on lure fishing, Sam Vimes on his quest for manic Brownies Binka on forceps and how to capture them on film etc. etc.
    “If you find it hard to laugh at yourself, I would be happy to do it for you.”

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast