Win a ?1m Devon Fishery for ?25

Blunderer

Reaction score
It looks like the Gambling Commission have put the kaibosh on the "Win a Devon Fishing Property" competition which reached its 46,000 maximum entrants some time ago. They were due to be drawing it this week, too. So the property owner have £1m in a bank account, there are 46,000 people who have parted with £25, everyone wants this to go ahead, but it seems unlikely that it is, now:

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=405240383&blogID=441179331

I was all ready to hand my notice in at work on Monday, too.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Like all Government agencies, a bunch of tosspots.

On TV they've been giving houses, holidays, cars, hi-fi, away in competitions based on a simple question - such as

Who was the famous comedian and compare of many TV quizz shows, was it
  1. Bob a Job
  2. Bob Monkhouse
  3. Bob's your Uncle?

Phone this number (cost £1.50 per minute, max time 5 minutes) to enter.

DOH!

What's the freakin difference? Only a complete dork would answer 1 or 3.

Well, perhaps Spiders might. /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Spidee Man gave up after 10 calls because he couldn't figure out why 2Bobs wasn't an option............

/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

So how are all the entrants to the Devon Fishery comp' gonna get their money back?

The competition organiser must be making some serious interest on it too!

What a joke!

Reaction score
When I looked at the terms and conditions I noticed that were they not to get the full number of entries(which they have -so well done) that there would be a draw for the committed cash LESS a significant amount for their admin costs.

Are we to assume that should they have to return all the entries this would mean either a) they would get no money to cover their admin. fees OR b) the entries would be returned less a deduction to cover the amount for administration?

I notice that isn't explained

barbelbonce

Reaction score
Jeff, You're not, of course, including our revered and honoured EA in the class of Tosspots..............(...are you...?)!

Mike

Blunderer

Reaction score
The smallprint said that if they didn't get the required entries they could take up to 35% for admin!!!!

I get the distinct feeling the owners are not in this to rip anybody off, but it always seemed a bit flaky. As someone says, how the hell do you go about paying everyone back?

Surely it is in everyone's interests to let this go ahead.

i've been an angler for 30 years, by the way, and I would have to check how much a Rod Licence costs! Is it £25?

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Bob Monkhouse - a comedian....you're having a laugh aren't you Woody??? /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif</blockquote>

Show a little humility!

He was a damned sight funnier than that Harry Hill. What's funny about shaving your head, wearing 60s glasses, and an oversized collar on your shirt.

He's about a funny as a dose of flu.

Reaction score
Must have trotted that one down perfectly Jeff/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Read his last book whilst I was on holiday - a sort of diary of the years after he wrote his autobiog. Very funny, sad and a demonstration of what an intellectual comic he was. Some of his articles on the history of comedy and craft of the comic were brilliant.

Mind you I like Harry Hiil as well

Poshers

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
'He was a damned sight funnier than that Harry Hill. What's funny about shaving your head, wearing 60s glasses, and an over-sized collar on your shirt.

He's about a funny as a dose of flu.'

The BAFTA award committee disagree with you there Woody.

Shame if the competition gets pulled due to bureaucracy.