River fishing in Merseyside/North West

jpwhitehead

Reaction score
Hi all.
I guess the most important thing I should state first is that I live in Liverpool.

I recently started fishing, but I've only really done the local parks while I get to grips with it, I've enjoyed it so far.
My girlfriends dad's coming to visit and prefers river fishing, I was just wondering if anybody could suggest a place I could take him in Merseyside or nearby to do a bit of river fishing, preferably somewhere a little quiet.

Since I've started fishing I've found the hardest part for me is actually finding somewhere to fish and knowing if I'm actually allowed to fish there!

robertroach

Reaction score
Best advice anywhere is go to the nearest tackle shop and ask. They will know what local clubs have fishing rights in the area and also what day tickets and free stretches are available.
Make a friend of your tackle dealer and you will get advice about all sorts of things.

slaphead

Reaction score
Have you checked out the River Dee?

Again use local tackle shops for info.

kenpm

Reaction score
The rivers Alt and Douglas both contain fish but location can be an issue as can the banks,Burscough Angling is the nearest shop to ask.
There is limited day ticket or free fishing on the Ribble from where the A6 crosses at Walton le Dale then up to the area where the M6 crosses,above that its mostly private club water with a few exceptions,ask at Ted Carters.
The river Dee above Chester on the Duke of Westminsters estate roughly from the a55 crossing up to almost Alford is free fishing ask at Chester Tackle Locker.
The river Dane has a small amount of day ticket water,ask at Daves of Middlewich or the Weaver ask at Vale Royal Angling.
The River Mersey in the Warrington area has some free fishing but its deep and hard to access the free areas most of the easy access areas are under Warrington AA control.
It depends really what style of river fishing you want to do and how far you want to travel then walk from the car parking.

jpwhitehead

Reaction score
Thanks for all of that information, I'll keep it in mind for future.
I know it's completely different but I'm thinking of going to Wigg Island in Runcorn to fish on the Mersey, I don't think I need to worry about permits and things there.