Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ''It's so much easier now''

Pinpointing areas and routes, now you have Google Earth and Sat Nav making journeys and locations to far distant places infinitley easier.

Back in the day our only recourse was the old ordinance survey maps, and plenty of leg work.

I'm thinking here of trips down to Wales, Hampshire, Dorset, Cambridgeshire, and even some obscure drains and waters in the depths of Lincolnshire. You may ask, would we have used those facilities were they available back then, that would be a definate YES.

But that's my current stance on the way it is today.

Does anyone else agree?

Blog Entries

Default Re: ''It's so much easier now''

I would totally agree with you on this one Derek.

I was laways very good at mapreading and interpretation, and even able to draw sections etc. from the basic OS Maps.

However, all that pales into insignificance when compared with today's technology, SatNav, Google Earth and mobile phone MapApps etc.

Would I have used it all back then,?

Well, to quote a TV programme line from that era . . . . . .

You bet your sweet bippy I would . . . . .

(Rowan & Martin's Laugh In from 1968)

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I use it for viewing venues. I look at lakes and pits where you can often see the contours like bars and sometimes weed. Been using it since its launch.
    It's also useful to look at the walks from the car park...

Agreed Derek....

PS It was a good job petrol was cheap then - the art of getting lost wasn't too costly............
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

binka Guest

I'm (only!) 46 but I can remember the days in my early youth when you heard of venues either by word of mouth or in the local tackle shop, I would say it's far easier nowadays with all the satnav and online gizmos such as Google Earth.

Most of my early streams and rivers, usually the Devon and Upper or Little Witham had been identified by my father when he was walking farmland inspecting cattle to buy, the promise of a good Sunday joint (the meat kind, not the spliff!!) along with the promise of some virgin river fishing ensured one of his fishing mates would take me along week in, week out.

There's little doubt that technology has helped immensely. However, I believe that, to some extent, it's a double edged sword. I'm now painfully aware of vast swathes of water on my doorstep that are simply unavailable to angling.

I have many gravel pits within a mile or two of me, only a small fraction of them have any form of legal angling permitted on them. There are numerous smaller stillwaters out there that could have easily been missed (and many were) in the past.

When you are actively involved in looking for a stillwater to buy or rent, it's frustrating as hell knowing that they are out there but unavailable.

Blog Entries

I often use Google Earth when I want to view an unfamiliar venue that I'm going to fish and I want an idea of what to expect; it's nice to be able to view in both map mode and arial photo mode because in the arial photo mode trees can often obscure paths or roads.

It's certainly a valuable tool that makes things a lot easier, I wish I had had it years ago.
    SatNav is also a great boon but I have entered a Post Code into a SatNav before only to find that the post code leads me to the middle of a field so you have to beware LOL

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 24-08-2015 at 17:57.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Going back to my days as a kid it was on your bike to a lake your mates told you about and worry about the legal side of if you could fish it abd every now and again actually catching some fish
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    I use it for viewing venues. I look at lakes and pits where you can often see the contours like bars and sometimes weed. Been using it since its launch.
    It's also useful to look at the walks from the car park...
    Agree 100%. Some of the aerial views show gravel bars very clearly, 10 mins on a PC saves a couple of hours with a marker float.

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it would be a dissertation on ' Sex and the Youth of Today '...........

But yes, I agree that all the technology mentioned above has made everything so much easier. Chasing around in youth on a push bike and then a Vespa, looking for new waters was not all it was cracked up to be and after being refuse entry onto public transport with a flat tyre'd bike a number of times ( in rush hour at Finsbury Park Station ) I gave it up as a bad job...
    Hoiking around the wild's of Welsh Wales ( and other locations, various ) on holiday, with an OS map, following little ' blue ' dots also lost it's charm after a while.................. Walker/ Redmire Pool has a lot to answer for !!

Bike served it's purpose in carrying a bit of gear, though...

Nah, youth of today don't know how lucky they are !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast