Water lilies

seth49

Reaction score
On one of the lakes I have started fishing this year, there are some nice carp up to about twenty pounds or so,problem is most of the margins for about twenty foot from the bank are covered by small leaved water Lily's with yellow flowers.
Is it possible to bring carp through these safely to net.
I know the stems to the leaves cut easily with twelve pound line when I have caught a few of the smaller ones.
But are there large underwater roots to these Lily's which the carp could get into.
Will use running rigs don't want to tether fish in the roots if that could happen.
But is it safe to fish near these.
Thanks.

The bad one

Reaction score
Seth is this species? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=f...iN2SUB6pM:&usg=__gj6EKcAZwyBR3J2v-T0VgwE0Kwg=

If it is, it doesn't have the thick rizomes and tubers the other two natives have. That said if it's very weedy with them, you must consider the fish and possible mouth damage you may well do pulling fish through them to allow the line to cut the weed stalks. I'd also consider if you assess the risk as a possibility, to up the line poundage to 15 lbs.

seth49

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, had a look at your link,that's the type of lily that's here.
There are some clear areas of the water were I could net the fish,it's just if they go in during the fight.
Will have to feed these up a bit and try to attract them here,when I fished it on Thursday they had followed the wind to the weediest part of the lake.its about an acre in size.
I even finished up climbing a tree to watch them, some cracking fish too, this lake is nearly thirty years old, it looks very natural now lovely spot.
Also some big roach, one was huge.
Will get some fifteen pound line today.
Thanks.