''Why''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It's always the same, the usual contributors starting threads and posting, often with similar topics. And yet we boast so many members, so why is this?

I understand that many may feel, due to lack of experience nervous of committing themselves to print etc. Not surprising really when we see examples of individuals being taken to task by the more pedantic/witch hunters amongst us. But as always this will be dealt with by the moderators.

So what can we do to encourage more participation.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be nice to see more articles written by ordinary members like it used to be a few years ago Derek.

I think many are a little bit reserved wondering what sort of reception an article would be met with, but my experience is that the vast majority of members are usually very welcoming in this respect.

So come on, let's see a few first-timers . . . . . .

greenie62

Reaction score
...So what can we do to encourage more participation.

Good post Derek,
Maybe the lack of the "Thread of the Month" award has something to do with it?
I'm not suggesting that the bonus of a prize for one's random wonderings was a major factor in starting a thread - but it may have been an encouragement to some FM-ers to try a new subject or slant on an old topic - rather than re-hash the old 'favourites'.

Similarly, the Monthly Caption Competition seems to have dissolved into a sporadic event with the Editor's cartoons being presented for a few days/weeks - until the Ed gets bored?:) - with no prize at the end of it! :eek:

Perhaps the Editor would like to post an article on 'How to post FM articles' and/or even a 'call' for articles on specific subjects - not necessarily suggesting he commissions them for fiscal reward - but some form of recognition may be appropriate!

Anyone got any more ideas?
:thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
Might be as you suggest that some are put off posting by the more vociferous posters on here, I myself have been hurt by some of the comments aimed at me :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. :D

On the other hand it does seem to have dropped off lately, reasons could be many, new editor, recent bannings? only a certain amount of things that can be posted about that are to do with fishing, or maybe its just that FM has finally been caught up by other social network mediums.

I see that the AT along with WWF are to take the government to court over their failure to adhere to the Water Framework Directive, that might spark some interest, strange the news hasn't been posted on here.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Having been a part of a forum that slowly died and eventually strangled itself, I was even a moderator for a short spell-everything was tried and did not make a lot of difference in the end. Banned members, de-banned members, competitions, gimmicks, sticky threads, allowing all, even politics and religion (mind you I did not think that helped).
So, my inclination is not to suggest anything but some things might be worth a mention. I actually think a lottery would be nice, maybe a first prize of tackle vouchers but, it would take some organization.
Some on going threads did remain quite popular on the deceased website-nature and gardening which was quite useful but they were not enough to keep it going and I do not know if they would be popular on here. However being interested in bird watching and gardening as well as fishing, I liked them. I saw something unusual yesterday, but post it here on a fishing website, I just did not think it would be interesting enough..
More articles of a diverse nature would be very good I think but, what to write about, I have no idea. Oddly enough I was looking through my fishing pics today and thought could I just post them as a article with a brief description/caption but would it make anything interesting, they are not very interesting, no 50lb carp:) However, I am sure there some here who have some very interesting pictures that could feature as a article. Maybe one way, just thinking aloud really.
Obviously some of the in fighting puts people off, however, some would hate it to disappear, the forum would become to bland for them and not bother with it anymore so its hard to win really. Its a very fine line between free speech, a bit of spice and a nice safe but bland forum.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

I see that the AT along with WWF are to take the government to court over their failure to adhere to the Water Framework Directive, that might spark some interest, strange the news hasn't been posted on here.

Is that the World Wildlife Fund in cahoots with the AT, bit of a dilemma for you - "Crow":)

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
As Greenie says a full explanation how to submit would be good.

There is the occasional blog that pops up with very professional looking pictures by anglers that are IT savvy. Could these capable people do an article instead of a blog.

Many of us are not capable of putting an article together with photos. Perhaps the article by a FM member could be submitted and then a photo or two could be sent by ordinary email and the editor marrying them up.

Also it hadn't occurred to me that anyone would want paying. Just something interesting to fellow anglers would be enough?

thecrow

Reaction score
Is that the World Wildlife Fund in cahoots with the AT, bit of a dilemma for you - "Crow

More of a dilemma is the fact that the word government should be replaced with EA as its that government dept that has failed, hasn't the AT just climbed into bed with the EA,

The WWF have been "in cahoots" as you put it with the AT for quite a while now, I doubt the AT would even contemplate this action without them, as I don't support any of the organisations other than being forced to by paying for a rod licence there is no dilemma at all for me, I just find it strange that during a quiet period it hadn't been posted on here

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What puts me off writing more articles [I've done a few] is not having anything of sufficient interest that I think could compete with the experiences of many on here. I'd like to think I can write a decent piece but the adventures of Skippy has only limited appeal. Its OK for threads like "How did you get on"..."My Bankside Disaster" or "Traffic Nightmares" but in pure fishing terms I cannot compete with [say] Brother Binka.

And nobody likes to be publicly poo-pooed either...and that's quite enough to put a lot of people off.

Reaction score
I was thinking of writing an article about my fishing adventures coupled with my ongoing battle with Crohn's Disease. The title will be Fifty Shades of Brown.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
First of all S-Kippy, let me say I'm not going to get into a head-to-head with you on this subject, so don't go raising hackles with me, BUT I happen to think your post exemplifies exactly the thoughts some might have if thin king about writing an article....
You write some of the best posts on FM on ' How did you get on ' thread and to my mind it's not a whole lot different from writing an article, apart from being a lot longer. Some of the stuff you've submitted on zander fishing had me reading it with some interest, and I'm not the least bit interested in zander fishing. They were good enough to hold my interest and that's what it's all about, isn't it ? The same goes for crucian fishing..............Much of what you have written on both subjects is not necessarily about catching, but more, how you tried to catch - resulting in failure or otherwise !

So for my money the ' only limited appeal ' bit is, to be frank, a load of old cobblers ! ( IMHO ! )

In your post you've used the word 'compete ' twice which suggests we are in a competition to see who can write the best, and if it's not ' up there ' might be deemed a failure. Yes, I agree Binka, among others, can write some stunning reports full of good information and with a touch of humour which is a not easy to achieve, BUT no more than yourself who can also produce a hint of humour as in the recent ' Bankside disaster ' thread.
I'm a fisherman of many years, so I'm well able to read what folk have to say ( and by how they go about fishing ) and decide they have quality knowledge, and this is how I judge the content of what they write.....I can only say IMHO that you are' up there ' with anyone else on quality of info, and the ability to put actions into words, and that really appeals !!

For the life of me , I cannot imagine why anyone would poo-poo anything you say, be it on actual fishing or the gear we use to catch them...

Regards folk writing articles generally ; I do wonder if some are not put off simply because they don't feel confident about how to put things into words...the ability to explain one's self in concise terms ? That, and possibly the lack of understanding around the English language, whci can be frightening for some. Let's face it, not everyone is comfortable around the written word which is difficult for those who can rattle off a few paragraphs in a few minutes, to understand....................

You only have to read some posts on FM to realise that some have much to say, but lack the ability to get it on paper in a coherent form. Of course, I might be totally wrong.........

All the above only MHO !!

Last edited:
B

binka

What puts me off writing more articles [I've done a few] is not having anything of sufficient interest that I think could compete with the experiences of many on here. I'd like to think I can write a decent piece but the adventures of Skippy has only limited appeal. Its OK for threads like "How did you get on"..."My Bankside Disaster" or "Traffic Nightmares" but in pure fishing terms I cannot compete with [say] Brother Binka.

And nobody likes to be publicly poo-pooed either...and that's quite enough to put a lot of people off.

Skip...

There's a heck of a lot more to fishing than catching a fish and I'm sure you have already known that for a heck of a long time and I, as I'm sure do many others, enjoy reading your humorous ramblings when things haven't quite gone to plan.

Long may it continue!

The ramblings that is, not things not going to plan :)

dorsetandchub

Reaction score

Skip, don't be intimidated. Try and picture him with,say, a method feeder on his nose!!

Seriously (rare for me) I, for one, would very much like to read your musings. As one of our number points out, it's fishing not catching.

Please give it some thought? Thanks

swizzle

Reaction score
I agree with skip, as a newcomer to the Forum and a returner to the sport after some years, I can see why some people are hesitant when it comes to posting. I myself lingered in the shadows for too long observing, at times I feel embarrassed by my lack of knowledge and having to relearn everything that I once knew. Reading what you guys post sometimes blows me away and it can be a little off putting when you have no idea what the hell is being discussed. For example, I want to get into trotting, it is something I have never done, and it confuses the life out of me, but seeing some of the reports on the how did you get on thread where members have demonstrated their expertise with the pin, makes me feel stupid for asking. I know it's ridiculous, but it's just how I see things. The other thing that would put people off is some of the more fractious member of the forum, not that it would bother me in a million years, but "newbs" just signing up and seeing spats within a couple of days of registration, I would imagine that would make them question ever posting anything with the fear of being patronised. Not that that would be the intent, but it could be perceived that way.

sam vimes

Reaction score
For example, I want to get into trotting, it is something I have never done, and it confuses the life out of me, but seeing some of the reports on the how did you get on thread where members have demonstrated their expertise with the pin, makes me feel stupid for asking.

I'm not claiming anything approaching expertise with a pin (or any other type of angling), but I use one regularly enough. If anyone in my area is prepared to buy a club day/week/season ticket, I'll happily show them the way I trot my local rivers (not that I'm claiming it's the right, or only, way). As long as no one expects me to show them all my favourite swims, it's all good.

swizzle

Reaction score
I'm not claiming anything approaching expertise with a pin (or any other type of angling), but I use one regularly enough. If anyone in my area is prepared to buy a club day/week/season ticket, I'll happily show them the way I trot my local rivers (not that I'm claiming it's the right, or only, way). As long as no one expects me to show them all my favourite swims, it's all good.

I know, but in comparison to my knowledge of the pin Sam, you are an expert.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If you go to home and advanced search you can find loads of articles. I did a series on trotting years ago that are still there but no pictures any more!
I did about 200 articles on here, not all under my own name. I never had a problem doing the articles, pretty much always had a positive response and often discussed with Graham Marsden what direction I should take although I had a fairly free hand. It was much more difficult when I started as digital cameras were very poor and expensive so initially I took film prints and scanned them in - much easier now. Doing the articles led to me writing books and one day I must stop....

tincatim

Reaction score
For me it's just a lack of time. As someone with two kids and a busy family life, my priorities aren't the forum, naturally. But In the times when I find myself alone relaxing I like to join in, trouble is buy the time I've read all of the updated posts I haven't left much time to write my own. But I try to look in most days even if it's just for five minutes, I'll have a read of the 'how did you get on' thread which is one of the best threads on the Internet in my opinion. If I've found time to actually go fishing I really enjoy reflecting on the session and writing the report up. I love to read about everyone else's angling antics in as much detail as they're prepared to give, so I happily assume others will like to read mine too.

I'd be interested in writing an article, I have to write them for work and that's just boring business talk, fishing is so much more fun. Whether I can think of something that would interest people, I don't know. But it wouldn't bother me if nobody liked it, it's only the Internet anyway.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score

Just tell your readers the fish were caught in Canada......

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Gents

I thank you for those kind words. Having lived with the formidable Mrs S for so many bewildering years I am happy to accept them whatever the source.

To be honest I know I can write well enough to hold peoples attention and to maybe amuse them along the way. ....but I am not an innovator or a particularly deep thinker when it comes to me fishing so you'll not learn much from me in that respect. There is more to fishing than catching fish but it helps to catch a few too. That is what I meant by competing.....not competing in the truest sense but having enough to write about. Skippy's zander odyssey is something I've toyed with doing....from its origins via the legndary ( for me) meeting with " Big Dave in the car park at Bury Hill to where I am now.

Bear in mind please that I was a virgin predator angler let alone virgin zander angler on a completely unknown water and on me own. I've come on a bit I can tell you but to put things in context on a recent thread Derek put his specimen weight for zander at 13lb. My best is just over 10 so that illustrates I think the point I was making about people maybe feeling slightly intimidated about putting what they might consider their meagre (by comparison) efforts in print.

But I will give it some thought as I do miss the sort of stuff Sean Meaghan used to produce. We need more of that but I always prefer a good yarn to a " then I caught this" kind of thing. This is why I am an avid follower of the Binkster because as well as catching fish he can be guaranteed to break something or something ridiculous will happen to him. That's good copy.

And the photo of the method mould hooter is just genius. I nearly wet myself. That has to be worth an MBE for services to angling

Last edited: