Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  80
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ''Why''

Default ''Why''

It's always the same, the usual contributors starting threads and posting, often with similar topics. And yet we boast so many members, so why is this?

I understand that many may feel, due to lack of experience nervous of committing themselves to print etc. Not surprising really when we see examples of individuals being taken to task by the more pedantic/witch hunters amongst us. But as always this will be dealt with by the moderators.

So what can we do to encourage more participation.

Blog Entries

Default Re: ''Why''

It would be nice to see more articles written by ordinary members like it used to be a few years ago Derek.

I think many are a little bit reserved wondering what sort of reception an article would be met with, but my experience is that the vast majority of members are usually very welcoming in this respect.

So come on, let's see a few first-timers . . . . . .

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Start a lottery, the winner gets a paid dream weekend fishing trip to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gibson View Post
    ...So what can we do to encourage more participation.
    Good post Derek,
    Maybe the lack of the "Thread of the Month" award has something to do with it?
    I'm not suggesting that the bonus of a prize for one's random wonderings was a major factor in starting a thread - but it may have been an encouragement to some FM-ers to try a new subject or slant on an old topic - rather than re-hash the old 'favourites'.

Similarly, the Monthly Caption Competition seems to have dissolved into a sporadic event with the Editor's cartoons being presented for a few days/weeks - until the Ed gets bored? - with no prize at the end of it!

Perhaps the Editor would like to post an article on 'How to post FM articles' and/or even a 'call' for articles on specific subjects - not necessarily suggesting he commissions them for fiscal reward - but some form of recognition may be appropriate!

Anyone got any more ideas?

Blog Entries

Might be as you suggest that some are put off posting by the more vociferous posters on here, I myself have been hurt by some of the comments aimed at me .

On the other hand it does seem to have dropped off lately, reasons could be many, new editor, recent bannings? only a certain amount of things that can be posted about that are to do with fishing, or maybe its just that FM has finally been caught up by other social network mediums.

I see that the AT along with WWF are to take the government to court over their failure to adhere to the Water Framework Directive, that might spark some interest, strange the news hasn't been posted on here.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Having been a part of a forum that slowly died and eventually strangled itself, I was even a moderator for a short spell-everything was tried and did not make a lot of difference in the end. Banned members, de-banned members, competitions, gimmicks, sticky threads, allowing all, even politics and religion (mind you I did not think that helped).
    So, my inclination is not to suggest anything but some things might be worth a mention. I actually think a lottery would be nice, maybe a first prize of tackle vouchers but, it would take some organization.
    Some on going threads did remain quite popular on the deceased website-nature and gardening which was quite useful but they were not enough to keep it going and I do not know if they would be popular on here. However being interested in bird watching and gardening as well as fishing, I liked them. I saw something unusual yesterday, but post it here on a fishing website, I just did not think it would be interesting enough..
    More articles of a diverse nature would be very good I think but, what to write about, I have no idea. Oddly enough I was looking through my fishing pics today and thought could I just post them as a article with a brief description/caption but would it make anything interesting, they are not very interesting, no 50lb carp However, I am sure there some here who have some very interesting pictures that could feature as a article. Maybe one way, just thinking aloud really.
    Obviously some of the in fighting puts people off, however, some would hate it to disappear, the forum would become to bland for them and not bother with it anymore so its hard to win really. Its a very fine line between free speech, a bit of spice and a nice safe but bland forum.

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    I see that the AT along with WWF are to take the government to court over their failure to adhere to the Water Framework Directive, that might spark some interest, strange the news hasn't been posted on here.
    Is that the World Wildlife Fund in cahoots with the AT, bit of a dilemma for you - "Crow"
    Last edited by markg; 01-09-2015 at 09:37.

As Greenie says a full explanation how to submit would be good.

There is the occasional blog that pops up with very professional looking pictures by anglers that are IT savvy. Could these capable people do an article instead of a blog.

Many of us are not capable of putting an article together with photos. Perhaps the article by a FM member could be submitted and then a photo or two could be sent by ordinary email and the editor marrying them up.

Also it hadn't occurred to me that anyone would want paying. Just something interesting to fellow anglers would be enough?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Is that the World Wildlife Fund in cahoots with the AT, bit of a dilemma for you - "Crow
    More of a dilemma is the fact that the word government should be replaced with EA as its that government dept that has failed, hasn't the AT just climbed into bed with the EA,

The WWF have been "in cahoots" as you put it with the AT for quite a while now, I doubt the AT would even contemplate this action without them, as I don't support any of the organisations other than being forced to by paying for a rod licence there is no dilemma at all for me, I just find it strange that during a quiet period it hadn't been posted on here
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

What puts me off writing more articles [I've done a few] is not having anything of sufficient interest that I think could compete with the experiences of many on here. I'd like to think I can write a decent piece but the adventures of Skippy has only limited appeal. Its OK for threads like "How did you get on"..."My Bankside Disaster" or "Traffic Nightmares" but in pure fishing terms I cannot compete with [say] Brother Binka.

And nobody likes to be publicly poo-pooed either...and that's quite enough to put a lot of people off.

I was thinking of writing an article about my fishing adventures coupled with my ongoing battle with Crohn's Disease. The title will be Fifty Shades of Brown.
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast