''On route fishing, but first a song''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
How many of you have a superstition or ritual of playing music on your way fishing?

For many years there were four of us that religiously went fishing together,(sadly now only two). And it was our custom to play the same old tapes on route to many of the many venues we regularly fished. Not to do so we felt would have put the mockers on our hopes of a good days fishing. Our selection of music ranged from ''The Drifters'', ''Chet Atkins'', ''The Shadows'', through to ''Mario Lanza'', dependant on which species we were targeting. And yes the remaining two of us still play the same old tracks.

Anyone else have superstitions or quirks.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I didn't have until now, if I hear any of that racket heading my way, time to pack up. Gor Blimey; whatever next.

:)

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Quite enjoy listening to my I-pod whilst fishing but the choice of music is made on the day, depending on mood, conditions, etc etc....:)

B

binka

Anyone else have superstitions or quirks.

I always but always try to set up my landing net prior to doing anything else, not bad practice in all fairness but my motivation for doing so is purely based on irrational superstition with just a hint of OCD :eek:mg:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I just happen to like classical music to listen to, both going and coming back....I find it soothing, relaxing, unobtrusive and it certainly sets me up first thing in the morning.

Most of what I listen to comes via Classic FM which has a pretty varied range of composers and, even better, no particular piece lasts that long, so if I'm not that keen I know it's not going to drone on for ages !

I'm a lover of all sorts of music. I'm not a classical freak with a massive knowledge of who wrote what, and when. In fact, I don't really take much notice of the background information stuff unless a piece of music is a bit special....I don't do many concerts and those I do attend are mainly local when someone we know is playing or singing.

So it's on with the radio as I pull out of the driveway, and then allow whatever is playing to take hold all the way to the venue.....works for me !

ps Never would I want music in my ears whilst fishing ! All I want is peace and quiet with the occasional bird song - full stop !! In the past I've even asked a fellow angler ( in the nicest possible way ) to turn the sound down if I can hear it 10yds away !

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Reminds me of the days when Fishermans Blues was on the radio at 6am weekends.. The Waterboys song and ensuing angling chat on in the car during my journey to the venue...

bracket

Reaction score
I always play music going to and returning from a session. Never whilst fishing. Currently I have a 8G memory stick in the car that is almost full, containing only Blues and Rock and Roll. John Lee Hooker, Sleepy LeBeef, Hound Dog Taylor, ZZ Top, Little Richard and of course plenty by "The Killer" (J.L.L), to name a few. No one sleeps when I'm driving. Pete.

Last edited:

slaphead

Reaction score
My choice is American southern rock, eg The Outlaws, Skynyrd, 38 Special. These days especially Blackberry Smoke.

Walter Trout is appearing at the Holmfirth Picturedrome in November, Mr Crow. I don't know how far away it is from you. Think it's sold out though.

Fantastic venue.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Always got music on in the car no matter where I'm going. Mostly Classical but when I'm fishing for some reason I like to punt around the radio looking for local stations as they often play stuff from my misspent youth that you don't often hear on mainstream stations. What you won't hear in my car is any station where people are having a grown up discussion.....I cannot bear listening to people discussing things.

Got no other fishing related superstitions that I'm aware of .

thecrow

Reaction score
Walter Trout is appearing at the Holmfirth Picturedrome in November, Mr Crow. I don't know how far away it is from you. Think it's sold out though.

Fantastic venue.

Yep all gone, not surprised though, I noticed that Wishbone Ash are on there during October, not to far from me about 110 miles couple of hours. looking at photographs the venue looks very intimate just how I like them. Any Barbel in the holme :)

hyperdrive

Reaction score
For me it's usually a choice between three albums, Biffy Clyro Revolutions Live at wembley, Muse HAARP live at wembley or AC/DC If You Want Blood you got it, again a live album.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
.......apart from the candles you light at the Zander shrine, just before you make your first cast !

Never worked for me at the roach one on my venue, though....................

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Never have been one for music, but I do like Talk Sport and always have it on, as for superstitions I like the colour red.

Red jacket or T Shirt !!
005.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Its usually Walter Trout playing in the car when I go fishing, the one in the player now is Transition.

Walter Trout's 'No More Fish Jokes' is in the CD stacker now - always have music on when driving and, although I have a wide range of musical interest, it's usually J J Cale, Walter Trout, The Eagles, or similar on the fishing trip...........

slaphead

Reaction score
Yep all gone, not surprised though, I noticed that Wishbone Ash are on there during October, not to far from me about 110 miles couple of hours. looking at photographs the venue looks very intimate just how I like them. Any Barbel in the holme

Saw Wishbone Ash there a couple of years ago, brilliant. Andy Powell is still very good.

With regard to the barbel, I think you may be unlucky. Try for trout.