Your fishing is under threat again in Wales

The bad one

Reaction score
The relevant section of the consultation you need to read and respond to is 5.2

wanderer

Reaction score
This could actually work in the anglers favour, the legal jargon suggests to me that the riparian owner has the last word, fishing club leases could put them in that category and empower them to close access to canoeists. The other suggestion of only on certain days of the week, is a suggestion of compromise, why compromise, the canoe mob don't have rights, only the land owner or leaser, cant see much to worry about, its in your own hands.

The bad one

Reaction score
This could actually work in the anglers favour, the legal jargon suggests to me that the riparian owner has the last word, fishing club leases could put them in that category and empower them to close access to canoeists. The other suggestion of only on certain days of the week, is a suggestion of compromise, why compromise, the canoe mob don't have rights, only the land owner or leaser, cant see much to worry about, its in your own hands.
Think you need to read some of the many canoe threads on this site if you think there's nothing to worry about and the experiences many have suffered. This proposal is not just about canoes it about every member of the public having access to water be that running or still. for whatever water based activity they wish. Swimming, rafting, gorge walking/swimming, canoeing and general pi**ing about in or next to the water. Voluntary Access Agreements are the thin end of a very big wedge that will lead to full legalised Open Access further down the road. The Welsh govt are playing that one by stealth and hoping anglers fall for it.

Sorry but there's a lot to be worried about if you are an angler and fish in Wales if we don't kick up holly sh£t about it.

thecrow

Reaction score
Had an e mail about this "u turn by the Welsh government the other day, as with the first one I have sent a response and would urge others to do the same even if like me you very rarely fish in Wales.

thecrow

Reaction score
This is an e mail I received today, I am amazed at the low figure that have responded to this, its very easy to respond. Be under no illusions this is the thin edge of a very large wedge that will affect angling.

Dear SACC supporter

The system will now accept all postcodes not just Wales based ones. Please do included your interests in Wales (for example “I have fished in Wales for xxx amount of years contributing the rural economy……”) in the text provided by clicking on the letter. Sign here http://act.voteaction.uk/a/84

If every SACC member on e-mail brought just five people to the table to sign, we would reach over 5,000 consultation responses. To date we have only 217.

Thank you very much to everyone who has signed the lobby. if you haven’t already done so, Please do sign – today.

With best wishes

Rachel

pf0x

Reaction score
You can forget ever enjoying a peaceful days fishing if this goes through. Just go to the Wye on a weekend if you don't believe me.

You'll be paying for the privilege of watching people treat the river like their own amusement park. And just to rub more salt in the wounds they'll be using it for free.

It's always worth pointing out in these situations that anglers don't have any rights to fish anywhere. These debates are often framed as Anglers Vs Everyone Else. But, 'we', as anglers don't have 'rights'. Open Access groups etc like to say why should anglers be allowed on river when they are not? But this is a false argument and needs to be taken on. We don't have 'rights. We have to negotiate and pay for the privilege. Waters leased for decades can be lost overnight.

It is only by negotiations and payments that we have the 'right' to fish.