How very rude!

wa1115

Reaction score
Well had an hour at my usual spot on the river and after about ten minutes a guy poked his head out of a boat that has been "getting done up" for about 2 years and said 'you can't fish there' I replied with 'who says?' the response was 'my gaffer' so I politely asked so where is he? All I got back was a grunt followed by 'You need to get a life anyway'. Immediately my heckkles stood on end and I replied with (and I know I shouldn't have) 'You need to get a better job!' the response from the piano toothed idiot was 'and how do you reckon that?' again I immediately responded 'Well your gaffer has you working at 4 on a Sunday afternoon, you could be fishing..... But then again it looks like you could do with the money to sort them teeth out!' he retreated with another grunt locked the boat up and disappeared in his battered van. Was I out of order? and how would you have responded in this situation? I have been fishing this same spot for nearly 3 years and never had a problem. Even had my licence checked there and know its not private.

thecrow

Reaction score
When I was much younger and able to run away I would have told him to **** off, if I had my Bull Terrier with me I wouldn't even have worried that I might need to run away, always somebody in this world (and angling) ready to tell you that you are doing something wrong.

B

binka

My guess is that there was no gaffer and the guy on the boat was probably the owner working on a project in his spare time.

From my experience some boat owners can get a bit r'sey with anglers which is often the result of someone pinging a lead or a lure off their hull every few minutes whilst they're occupying it.

Most boaters don't seem to care one way or another as long as anglers don't start taking liberties such as fishing from lock landings or pinging terminal gear off their hulls.

I think I would have ignored him and just carried on doing my own thing.

wa1115

Reaction score
I tried to be polite but refrained from using foul language haha. I'm no spring chicken but not knocking on either (ex doorman) but a polite one if that's possible. I'm used to idiots having a go but not when fishing. I'm in passive mode whilst fishing.

john step

Reaction score
There is always the odd ****head about. Humanity is full of them. I reckon I am the only normal one. Believe it not some people disagree with that.:eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Maybe he had issues with anglers on account of one of them using his deck as a suitable platform to land a large fish from as it was impossible to do so from a high bank.
I know it's happened in the past-- well--- so I'm led to believe!.;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would have laughed, quite a witty response but with teeth like you say he probably lost his sense of humour years ago. Just think how many times he's been stood up on a date.

seth49

Reaction score
That's one good thing about being six ft two and fifteen stone.
I don't get bothered much.?

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
My guess is that there was no gaffer and the guy on the boat was probably the owner working on a project in his spare time.

From my experience some boat owners can get a bit r'sey with anglers which is often the result of someone pinging a lead or a lure off their hull every few minutes whilst they're occupying it.

Most boaters don't seem to care one way or another as long as anglers don't start taking liberties such as fishing from lock landings or pinging terminal gear off their hulls.

I think I would have ignored him and just carried on doing my own thing.

The odd catty load of pinkies tends to get the goat up as well BUT then if they did not open the throttle up as they get to you they would not have had the pinkie treatment them things get everywhere little orrors they be ..

PG ..

shaunlewis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well had an hour at my usual spot on the river and after about ten minutes a guy poked his head out of a boat that has been "getting done up" for about 2 years and said 'you can't fish there' I replied with 'who says?' the response was 'my gaffer' so I politely asked so where is he? All I got back was a grunt followed by 'You need to get a life anyway'. Immediately my heckkles stood on end and I replied with (and I know I shouldn't have) 'You need to get a better job!' the response from the piano toothed idiot was 'and how do you reckon that?' again I immediately responded 'Well your gaffer has you working at 4 on a Sunday afternoon, you could be fishing..... But then again it looks like you could do with the money to sort them teeth out!' he retreated with another grunt locked the boat up and disappeared in his battered van. Was I out of order? and how would you have responded in this situation? I have been fishing this same spot for nearly 3 years and never had a problem. Even had my licence checked there and know its not private.
what was he 86 think he may of had a point

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

I tried to be polite but refrained from using foul language haha. I'm no spring chicken but not knocking on either (ex doorman) but a polite one if that's possible. I'm used to idiots having a go but not when fishing. I'm in passive mode whilst fishing.
oh my! your an ex bouncer sorry didnt know that, yeah yeah you sure are polite mr, and way you keep your kids in check, must be real deal .i think i may of made a mistake not just closeing my account and running away. i mean i dont want to upset you now, not now i found out your a bouncer. bet your a boxer and nah actualy seem more like a black belt in karate could just karate chop me on the neck and i never fish again. is it ruff outside playzone then bet someones aways crying round them parts. this last thing i can be bothered with, aint your fault the world is full of people like you thing is you dont see it but everyone here obviously sussed you out long time ago, your very beige individual but truthfully wish you all the best and stick at the fishing

ken more

Reaction score
If anyone bothers me when i'm fishing, i usually throw an Otter at them :D :w

wa1115

Reaction score
shaunlewis you must be bored going back through my posts from 3 months ago just to have a pop at me!

Sent from my LG-E410i using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Can I please point out that the Mods, Editor and members do not tolerate personal insults/ individual spats etc. We know that there is often healthy debate and genuine disagreement over some topics. Strong views and contrary opinions are often voiced...generally in a courteous manner.

If you feel you wish to have a personal dig at a member there is the Personal Message facility - but do realise that feature also enables members to block the posts of members they don't wish to hear from.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
Can I please point out that the Mods, Editor and members do not tolerate personal insults/ individual spats etc. We know that there is often healthy debate and genuine disagreement over some topics. Strong views and contrary opinions are often voiced...generally in a courteous manner.

If you feel you wish to have a personal dig at a member there is the Personal Message facility - but do realise that feature also enables members to block the posts of members they don't wish to hear from.
Absolutely!

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Paul, I know through personal experience that pm'ing someone who's trolling you can get you (rather than them) in trouble with a moderator. Lets face it pretty much anything you pm the troll with can be twisted into being a threat. As I said already I know this through my own personal experience with trolls similar to the one wa111 has following him round right now.
Is this the right thing to be telling members...to pm the troll?

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Paul, I know through personal experience that pm'ing someone who's trolling you can get you (rather than them) in trouble with a moderator. Lets face it pretty much anything you pm the troll with can be twisted into being a threat. As I said already I know this through my own personal experience with trolls similar to the one wa111 has following him round right now.
Is this the right thing to be telling members...to pm the troll?

Why don't we both just ignore each other and forget about us falling out
We can concentrate on enjoying the forum which we both want

robtherake

Reaction score

Partly because of the above policy this forum has improved immeasurably of late and as a result is one of the best of its type in the UK, without a shadow of a doubt. I've noticed a lot of new names posting in recent weeks and can't help thinking that the two things are connected. It makes a big difference when you know your musings won't be mauled and dissected, or your character called into question.