Bargains. Let us know.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, that’s brought a smile to my face whilst getting cabin fever here in the windy south.

Just received a very nice Abu 507 MK1 which I won at a very good price on ebay, it was a nice surprise to find the seller had included a number of floats for free, what a nice man.

Uou1Rnc.jpg

mikench

Reaction score
Well done John! I have the Mk2 and like it! I also have a 501 which I also like. I haven't used either as yet for trotting. I bought a Cralusso float as I was curious but I think it's really a pole float hence it remains unused.

trotter2

Reaction score
Looks a good 507 it will give you years of good fishing. Still prefer my 501 to the bigger 507 mind.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, that’s brought a smile to my face whilst getting cabin fever here in the windy south.

Just received a very nice Abu 507 MK1 which I won at a very good price on ebay, it was a nice surprise to find the seller had included a number of floats for free, what a nice man.

Uou1Rnc.jpg

Kind'a seller you'd buy from again !

john step

Reaction score
I have recently had a new wax cotton 3/4 length jacket delivered. Well made with chunky zips.Made in Britain. I thought it was a bargain at £39.95 including delivery.
New Forest Clothing Co.

John Keane

Reaction score
Been getting bargains at the Cash Generator shop again.

Intrepid Gearfly reel in very good nick (even better when when I’ve done it up) - £9.99

Fox Santos 3200 fixed spool,reel with two spare spools (RRP £69.99) and a leatherette case, in immaculate nick - £9.99

Unusual feature on the Fox is that it has a very finely adjustable front drag AND the spools are quick release, via a central button.

Don’t know yet whether to eBay them or keep for myself. I’ll put a couple of photos up once I’ve had chance to clean them up.

Reaction score
My advice,flog the fox,pronto,you will do ok price wise,wouldn't touch another fox reel,look good,looks decieve....

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Been getting bargains at the Cash Generator shop again.

Intrepid Gearfly reel in very good nick (even better when when I’ve done it up) - £9.99

Fox Santos 3200 fixed spool,reel with two spare spools (RRP £69.99) and a leatherette case, in immaculate nick - £9.99

Unusual feature on the Fox is that it has a very finely adjustable front drag AND the spools are quick release, via a central button.

Don’t know yet whether to eBay them or keep for myself. I’ll put a couple of photos up once I’ve had chance to clean them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
What I meant to do was comment on the quick release front drag, perhaps unusual these days but Mitchell were doing it at least 40+ years ago! Mind you having looked at a couple of Mitchells at an antique fair(!) earlier this week, I now wonder how I fished with them, but it’s what we had, and the finger dab bail on the match was fantastic for the time

John Keane

Reaction score
What I meant to do was comment on the quick release front drag, perhaps unusual these days but Mitchell were doing it at least 40+ years ago! Mind you having looked at a couple of Mitchells at an antique fair(!) earlier this week, I now wonder how I fished with them, but it’s what we had, and the finger dab bail on the match was fantastic for the time

Yep, used to fish with Mitchell 300’s, drags weren’t great though.

John Keane

Reaction score
My advice,flog the fox,pronto,you will do ok price wise,wouldn't touch another fox reel,look good,looks decieve....

I’ve had a good fiddle around with the Fox and it seems well engineered, solid, good spool management (3 different depth spools), chock full of ball bearings and a neat quick release front drag spool. It’s only the fact that I don’t need any more reels that’s stopping me from keeping it.

john step

Reaction score
Any gardeners out there. After two failed deliveries from Dobies and seeds that did not germinate I looked around for some seeds on the web.

I came across this small family company from Essex. They sent me my seeds quickly for 99p inc postage. They have lots of seeds on their web site at what looks like b argain prices.

Worth a look at. SEEKAY HORTICULTURAL SUPPLIES

Reaction score
I thought the same with a fox baitrunner,firstly the anti-reverse didn't work in the cold(ideal when I bought it for barbel fishing,the reel was balancing with the flow),then the press button spools,stopped working and fell apart,all three of them...so I sent them back and got my money back,as it all happened in three months.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A Chinese supplier that sponsors the Irish Women's fly fishing team (its true, not an Irish joke).

Maxcatch Fishing

The chairman of one of my clubs recently purchased a 7ft 6in 3wt fly rod, reel and line with backing - £36 delivered.

The rod looked and felt exactly like my Orvis Clearwater at £230 apart from a different whipping colour.

I have recently bought a wooden trout net at £14 delivered (Orvis £135) and loads of tungsten beads at a fraction of UK prices.

They do rods and reels at >£100 also.

Have a look.

John Keane

Reaction score
I thought the same with a fox baitrunner,firstly the anti-reverse didn't work in the cold(ideal when I bought it for barbel fishing,the reel was balancing with the flow),then the press button spools,stopped working and fell apart,all three of them...so I sent them back and got my money back,as it all happened in three months.

Flogged my £9.99 Fox reel on eBay for £30 so it’s someone else’s problem now!

John Keane

Reaction score
Just got a Hardy Marquis Multiplier #7 fly reel with a spare spool, documents and 2 padded Hardy cases for £67 on eBay.

Seller wrongly specified the spare spool as an “extra multiplier unit” (which it most definitely is not) and I think that kept the price down. Other comparable packages are going for £149 - £179 so I definitely got a bargain.

This reel is for personal use on a river outfit for Czech Nymphing and Wet/Dry Fly fishing. You definitely can’t beat a Hardy when it comes to a bit of retro quality.

john step

Reaction score
I know there are not that many who go carping on here but for those that do I can recommend these hooks. I took a gamble as one does on ebay and gave them a try. £4.49 inc postage for 20 Jap teflon coated hooks. Very sharp and strong. Wide gape.
I bought size 8 barbless and then went back for size 6. They come in a little plastic box.

cow-shed-shop (1707)

John Keane

Reaction score
I know there are not that many who go carping on here but for those that do I can recommend these hooks. I took a gamble as one does on ebay and gave them a try. £4.49 inc postage for 20 Jap teflon coated hooks. Very sharp and strong. Wide gape.
I bought size 8 barbless and then went back for size 6. They come in a little plastic box.

cow-shed-shop (1707)

Carp hooks translate very nicely to barbel fishing.