Bargains. Let us know.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I doubt a better deal can be found than the sub-£20 pair of waders I got from Sportfish last week. Down from £90 !

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

robtherake

Reaction score
No doubt they'll be good kecks Rob, but I can't understand why it's so difficult for these sellers to list the waist sizes in inches or at least cm or even both rather than just say L to XXL, I mean how do you know what they class as large, medium or xxl FFS....and how longs the freekin legs are.

I have the same beef: how are you supposed to know without getting in touch? I bet they miss plenty of sales for that reason alone.

B

binka

I have the same beef: how are you supposed to know without getting in touch? I bet they miss plenty of sales for that reason alone.

Exactly right Rob & Ian, the thing with bargain buying is part of it is impulsive.

I thought they looked a good pair of strides and might have just ordered a pair had it been as easy as selecting the size and clicking "buy" but the hurdle of having to contact them for sizing help has given me the opportunity to think twice and I've realised I really don't need 'em.

thecrow

Reaction score
You think you lads have problems with sizes, by the time I get trousers to fit my waist the legs are long enough to fit an American basketball player :eek:

ken more

Reaction score
Are bargains not just stuff that they couldn't flog at grossly inflated prices and you would never buy anyway at the, wait for it, the R.R.P.:) And never buy at the discount on the RRP, and then they get advertised at the actual price:confused: I know i'm certainly confused. :w "do i need it", thats what i should ask myself more often:)

dann

Reaction score
That's true Ken and it's only a bargain if you need it.

A concept my wife struggles with, £30 for some shoes with a rrp of £60 is not a bargain when you have 3 identical pairs

swizzle

Reaction score
Luncheon meat in lots of different varieties in poundland. Guess how much??? A pound. Who'd believe it?

bracket

Reaction score
I have always hand tied spade end hooks and still do. It has never been a problem, regardless of the size, until recently. For the past three years I have needed to use glasses, purely for reading, and I now find it a difficult to see what I am doing when tying hooks, even with the glasses. Where as once I could easily do 60 hooks in an hour, now that is down to twenty. This year has been particularly difficult as the natural light has been poor. This week, my Lady solved the problem for me, she bought me a magnifying table lamp by Lifemax Ltd. Absolutely brilliant!. Aldi are doing them for £19.95. I have been tying like a good'un this week, almost back to my original speed and the addition bonus is the light does not get hot so there is no discomfort at all. If you are in the same boat as myself regarding your "windows", just get yourself one. Pete.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Good call on the lamp Pete, I've had to use one for a few years for smaller hooks, I can tie the larger ones virtually with my eyes closed - though not with freezing fingers, any tips on that one?

robtherake

Reaction score
I have always hand tied spade end hooks and still do. It has never been a problem, regardless of the size, until recently. For the past three years I have needed to use glasses, purely for reading, and I now find it a difficult to see what I am doing when tying hooks, even with the glasses. Where as once I could easily do 60 hooks in an hour, now that is down to twenty. This year has been particularly difficult as the natural light has been poor. This week, my Lady solved the problem for me, she bought me a magnifying table lamp by Lifemax Ltd. Absolutely brilliant!. Aldi are doing them for £19.95. I have been tying like a good'un this week, almost back to my original speed and the addition bonus is the light does not get hot so there is no discomfort at all. If you are in the same boat as myself regarding your "windows", just get yourself one. Pete.

If you do a lot of home tying, float making, whipping and so on, it's worth looking out the magnifying lens products from the Daylight Company. The bulbs - as you'd expect - produce a light that is entirely natural, so you can do a lot more work before eye strain stops play. The bat-eyed amongst us will understand the problem of seeing fine detail in an artificially-lit environment.

Ours is similar to the Magniflex in the current range, but has a wide, rimless lens (the Magniflex is one of the "cheaper" ones at £70) and we were lucky enough to pick it up for a song in a charity shop, but having used it I'd say it's worth every penny of the recommended asking price. Used examples often come up on Ebay for a much more reasonable amount. Whether other products advertised as daylight lamps are the genuine article isn't certain: I heard it was the sole domain of the Daylight Company. Maybe the patent's run out and everybody's at it nowadays, but in any case I'd be wary of cheap imitations.

https://uk.daylightcompany.com/magnifying-lamps.html

seth49

Reaction score
You can buy daylight bulbs in lighting shops, Only two or three pounds for one.

When I used to tie flies they are very useful to see the correct colours of the materials your using.

I still use the lamp and my tying vice, But now I use it to make carp rigs it's like having another hand. Very useful.

bolts

Reaction score
Angling direct have a sale on.
I got a Korum CS 11ft feeder for £37.49 plenty of other bargain too.