Camo that doesn’t... Erm... Camo?

stripey

Reaction score
fish only see dark shapes, camo is no better than any other colours be it yellow ,bright red or any other colour,the only reason to wear camo is to be hidden from other people, so i suppose its good for poaching or fishing waters that you don't have a ticket for.

steve2

Reaction score
Surprised that someone hasn't bought out a range of summer and winter camo suits. Leaf pattern for summer, white for winter snow, or bare leaf pattern for autumn. I am sure some mug would buy a set.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The effectiveness of any camo pattern always depends on the background it's placed against. Standard MoD DPM was designed with Northern European forest in mind, cold war stuff. It also had altenative desert and tropical variations (and maybe arctic/snow, but white oversuits were all I ever saw). I can't honestly think of any UK fishing venue I've been to that might come close to Northern European woodland. However, it's worth bearing in mind that the photo used as an example is catalogue promo pic, it would be pretty daft to have a product you couldn't see properly. It will have been carefully set up and photographed so that you can see it clearly.

However, despite having been trained to use camo properly, I see very little reason to use it when fishing. I used to do an awful lot of shooting and believe that camo is slightly more important for that activity. However, I stopped using it even for that, finding that movement, or lack of, had far greater influence when it came to mammalian eyesight.

My experience has been that camo, of all sorts of patterns, is most effective on humans. If I want to add an element of stealth from other people to my fishing or shooting, I'll dig out a camo of the most appropriate pattern/colour.

The new MoD Multi Terrain Pattern (MTP) isn't necessarily meant to be a "better" camo. It's just a stab at having one pattern for a wider variety of terrain. Saves the MoD a fortune by not having seperate temperate, desert and tropical dpm colour variations on the same garments.

If anyone is struggling with insomnia, have a look here.

Windy

Reaction score
Interesting link. Educational read while watching the heavens pour down outside :( Lightweight fair weather fisherman me I am afraid :wh

In passing, Major Dennison still hasn't been found. His place as the world's best hide and seek champion is safely recorded in the Guinness book of records.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
There are three main types of cammo there is the Mossy Oak(tm) for summer use near forest ponds, The Realtree(tm) for reed lined lakes and rivers... and finally the DT/ST pattern (Dog Turd/Shopping Trolley pattern) for local canals and municipal parks:cool::w:wh:eek:mg::p

dan305

Reaction score
A lot of the carp chaps and Trent barbel guys ought to wear solid white outfits as they look terribly daft in their full real tree gear sitting in front of the huge white van they park behind their swim :eek:mg: