Camo that doesn’t... Erm... Camo?

B

binka

Is it just me or does anyone else reckon that a lot of the camo or DPM (Disruptive Pattern Material) sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the plain green stuff…

Might as well be pink with orange blobs on imo :confused:

For some reason camo gear is something I've steered clear of at all costs, are you a camo fanatic and what’s your pattern?

thecrow

Reaction score
Only camo I have is a fleece sent to me by my son from the states, best I have found is just dark clothing and keeping still.

Some of the waters I have seen you would need a brolly with used bog roll and old shopping trollies on it to blend in :D

My guesting camo was wait until it was dark and then keep still ;)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I do like a pair of camo combats but that's about it. I've no camo gear and when I thought I'd get a camo jacket when I tried it on I looked like a f******n hydrangea bush. I didn't buy it.

Plain, boring old green or manure brown does it for me.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As I've said before - a sort of bluey grey must be the ultimate camo. Afterall the herons have successfully developed it over millions of years...............

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think it stands out like that because it's plonked amongst a bank of dead reeds and there's no propper greenery around it. Camo does work if it matches the background.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Is there any evidence to suggest it makes a blind bit of difference ? Wilson always seemed to wear a bright red jumper and Jan Porter dressed in all red until he went native. It might be useful if you're stalking fish in clear water or if you are trying to avoid Korean snipers but generally speaking I'm not convinced.

And it doesn't matter what you're wearing if you rock up shouting & yelling at your mates, stomp up to your chosen pitch and then spend 2 hours banging in rod rests and bivvy pegs with a sledgehammer. Kind of missing the point, lads.

flightliner

Reaction score
I use camo in varying degrees, its good if it matches the terrian the wearer is in.Normally I just have the old British dpm trousers and a couple or three fleeces from marks n sparks and a blue shakespeare coat.
If its raining however then I often wear my army goretex two piece top n leggings in dpm.
when the trousers have had their day I may go for the new british atp ( all terrain pattern) brought in over the last few years,
lots of camo is not really that good, its more a fashion designers idea of what they think it should look look like, a bit like the once fasionable bib n brace overalls that guys n gals in the seventies wore to go out in .My old brickie mate in the building trade used to call guys in the street posing/wearing them "toss - - s in toy overalls".

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I always remember many years ago a good pole angler in Leicester called Dave petch swore by camoing his pole tips white and grey.

Always said I would do it myself on clear winter canals

Never done it though, can't think why it would not give an advantage on a clear day

B

binka

when the trousers have had their day I may go for the new british atp ( all terrain pattern) brought in over the last few years

I've just googled atp flight, I reckon it's about the most realistic general pattern.

I like what they did here to prove it by camouflaging the house right in the centre of this picture...

:)

john step

Reaction score
I think the most important thing is to keep from skylining. If I am on an exposed bank and want to fish at close range I will put up a brolly behind me.
That way you dont get movement against the sky.
Its surprising how the fish will not see you if you sit still like this.
They get used to the shape of the brolly quickly. After all they take no notice of the odd bush on the bank against the sky.

Further to this tread I have just seen an advert for a Diem camo bivvy in a colour called "convict". Revolting. You would want locking up for using one.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I've just googled atp flight, I reckon it's about the most realistic general pattern.

I like what they did here to prove it by camouflaging the house right in the centre of this picture...

Everything to me is in cammo with a brown eye and a green one , lol.

Windy

Reaction score

Nice try, but if you look closely you can see that they forgot to do the front door keyhole. Dead giveaway :wh

(Mind you, I nearly missed the sniper in the trees).

robtherake

Reaction score
As I've said before - a sort of bluey grey must be the ultimate camo. Afterall the herons have successfully developed it over millions of years...............

Ah, but herons are silhouetted against the grey hues of the average English skyscape, not the bankside. Are you fishing from a hang-glider, by any chance? :p