Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    binka Guest

Default The wonder method bandwagon, what’s your biggest disappointment?

I’m on a bit of a fashion and fads thing at the moment what with the camo thread as well.

I’ve been thinking back and without a shadow of a doubt my biggest disappointment in terms of the latest wonder method is undoubtedly drop shotting.

I know that some can make this work for them and I really gave this a go but despite getting home with a right arm that felt like its owner had won a free subscription to the adult channel I just can’t get it to work for me, fish yes but anything above a few ounces no.

After two or three hours I would invariably end up digging my heels in to the bankside to find a worm whilst I dreamt up an improvised leger rig for a six foot rod!

What has been your biggest disappointment in terms of the latest “wonder method”?

Default Re: The wonder method bandwagon, what’s your biggest disappointment?

I've not even attempted any drop shotting after my dismal experiences with the original overhyped lure fishing fad of the mid/late 90s, jerk baits. I'm not willing to part with any cash for suitable gear.

However, this time round, I do actually know some folks that are having some success with big perch when drop shotting. They do seem to have had to resort to fishing commies though.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Drop shotting for me too. I fell for it large and though I know guys who do really well I can barely get a knock....from places that I know are stuffed with perch.

Hardly surprising really....I've never done any good with lures,ever. Got a lovely box full of little rubber wriggly things though. Oo-er missus !

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    I’ve been thinking back and without a shadow of a doubt my biggest disappointment in terms of the latest wonder method is undoubtedly drop shotting.
    Oh... That's disturbing. I'm about to buy two Drennan DropShot rods, and two Fox Rage Ultron Pro 1500 reels. I don't know how many yards of highly coloured braided lines I have ordered. And lots and lots of shads and jigheads from Poland.

Had I known that the Poles were such experts on this kind of fishing, I could have filled bags with goodies this summer. Relax shads, for example. I thought they were american, but they're made in Poland. I went to Gdansk for vacation with the missus and the vee one, and actually visited a local tackle store. They had lots and lots of predatorstuff (lots and lots of everything, really), which I just walked past, not even offering it a single glance. I didn't stop untill I reached the coarsehooks department. I have never seen so many different patterns of Owner hooks in my entire life. I bought quite a lot of them. To decent prices.

All the large perch on the list this year, have been caught on jigs. So I will give it try. It's the kind of lurefishing that resembles coarsefishing the most. You can f.ex. dropshot a lobworm, if you loose confidence in the softbaits.

A 4'' Relax Kopyto Motoroil Glitter mounted on a 10 g jighead with a 5/0 hook will hopefully land me something really nice. I hope.
    Better well hanged than ill wed.
    Søren Kirkegaard

Good thread topic - the problem with subjective assessments is that there are so many other factors! The good angler fishing the right spots well at the right time with most methods will catch - the poor one can struggle with any method!
    12" chunks of wood and trebles fished hard and fast scored heavily one day on the bay by Lomond golf course but never again elsewhere (and I've not been back to the bay since) - but now I don't even lug one around. They weren't touching live baits that day which is why we started trying alternatives.
    Dropshotting is just another variant (refinement) on jig fishing isn't it? Probably the most fished method of all time worldwide (in its widest sense). Tying the hook to act as boom, snood and hook all in one being the 'trick' but in anything but still water I wouldn't see it as optimum - but simple!
    Then again I had better go off and try it 😦

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yep Dropshotting for me also !!

I had not caught a thing until I saw a bloke on the Sonik stand at the last 5 Lakes Carp Show and told him his Dropshotting rods were NO GOOD and they did not work ?

He asked me about the set up I was using and suggested I use a Light Pole Elastic on the bottom part of the rig and a heavier lead, I now use a 3/4ozs Ardsley bomb.

Although I have only caught Perch up to around the 1 pound mark now, the change in rig has certainly helped.

Bob
    http://www.calmproductions.com/acatalog.com/ospreysg.html#aOSPREY

Having had some enjoyable but only moderately successful sessions on the canal with soft plastics, I tried the waggled and chopped worm instead. It seems, for perch at least, a much more selective and successful approach. Both times I've tried I have exceeded anything I've achieved with lures, so I've pretty much abandoned the lure rod. IT didn't help that the mice ate the cork handle last winter though.

Lures in general and anything plastic in particular ie maggot corn etc.
    I do use plastics to balance "proper" bait though.

For the life of me I cannot see that a plastic fish or worm jigged up and down will be more effective that the real thing jigged up and down.

I have caught on"plugs" but I find sink and draw dead uns much better.

Boilies, never caught much on them.
    Never caught much on lures till I went lure fishing and left all the other tackle at home. Now caught plenty of fish, including a few unusual fish like roach and rudd.

Same for me drop shotting was the biggest disappointment after watching hours and hours of video on YouTube and spending pounds on the set up trying for days – weeks - then months to get a bite 1 year later the kit was on eBay was I glad it sold (I pity the poor sod that brought it)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast