''Putting something back on a personal level''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
By helping others in our sport is what I'm getting at. Either by spending time by the waterside with a novice, or even providing information on tackle and techniques. I suppose those of us who post are already doing this.

In my own case I have accompanied a number of members from FM from far and wide, and assisted most of them in achieving their personal best in my own field of Pike and Perch. And I can say hand on heart it is the most satisfying and rewarding experience.

I suppose these days it's not all about me.

How about you?

wanderer

Reaction score
You know Derek, I would love to do something to help the novices, kids especially, used to be volounteer crew on a St Johns Ambulance boat every Friday, but the safety regs meant I had to use all my holidays for compliance training, this is the same, take some kids fishing and risk being branded a pervert, the worlds gone mad mate, these days I just give tackle away and advice, pity really, we could do more and I would love to.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I spent nearly 10 years as an Angling Coach, with my training provided by the (then) NFA... I still have my qualifications... it wasn't easy in those days with City and Guilds course work and written/practical exams to complete, but the 1st4Sport qualification isn't the end of the matter... there were other courses that were married to the NFA certifcate, such as first aid, a course on behaviour around disadvantaged/disabled men, women and children, then there was the CRB checks which took an age to be completed by Essex police... it's not a quick process....

That said it was some of the most rewarding years of a 53 year angling career... if you want to have a go, I can heartily recommend it, but there is a lot of paperwork involved nowadays, including venue risk assessments, getting a chaperone (recommended) and membership of the Angling Trust (a necessity for the third party insurance...

I coached for two clubs locally and did several NFA sponsored events which meant rubbing shoulders with a few of the angling celebs (but I suppose everything has it's downsides these days:p)

It's a rewarding role and one I enjoyed immensely until my arthritis decided that it was time to take a rest... Moral of the story... look after yer knees:p:w:wh

steve2

Reaction score
I am fully CRB (now DBS) checked and work part time with kids at a local school, since retiring. Trouble with DBS check is I can only use it at the school I work at, it's not transferrable. If I work with kids out side of the school I need a new one for each area it puts you of helping. My neighbours gave up helping the local guide group and football teams because of the paper work involved.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
the bureaucracy of the coaching qualification is what is killing off coaching or mentoring at so many levels and sooooo many activities... sad to say :(

B

binka

I often frequent lakes and riverbanks, throwing in copious amounts of food so that the fish are bigger for someone else to catch... :eek:mg:

thecrow

Reaction score
I cant think of anything I have done on a one to one basis other than giving bits of tackle and bait to kids and when I was a bailiff finding any kid without a permit I would leave them fishing but tell them they needed to get one for next time.

Only other things I have done is give my time and sometimes money freely to a single species organisation, something I wont be doing again in a hurry.

B

binka

I did once get this nadgy ol' git away from his keyboard and catching a few fish again :eek: :D

(I'm gonna get a right clip round the ear 'ole for that one the next time he sees me :D)

robtherake

Reaction score
I'll help anyone with bits of gear and dodgy advice, particularly kids, who, on the whole, appreciate it more than the adults - some blokes see you as a clever get, but maybe that's just my lack of sparkling wit and complete absence of subtlety :p

The bairns are the issue, though: all the over-egged tripe in the media about paedophilia has parents looking for perverts behind every tree. Now, on the occasion that a lad wants to sit with me and learn a bit, he's always told to clear it with his ma or pa first: I want no misunderstandings. It's sad, really:(

Personally, I don't believe that the ratio of paedophiles in society has changed any, but the mad media coverage has parents' nerves in shreds and must lead to a lot of young lives spent on a very short leash indeed, mostly indoors. Back in the 70s I can't recall a single dodgy encounter and - particularly in the holidays - we were out in the countryside from dawn till dusk without any kind of adult supervision. Rant over and apologies for straying off-topic, Derek.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
On one coaching session that I was conducting, a mother turned up with two kids in tow and asked me to coach them while she went shopping...:eek: she got proper @rsey when I told her that she'd have to stay with the children...:eek:mg: Basically she wanted a s*dding babysitting service

She could not understand that she didn't know me or my chaperone from Adam and yet still wanted to leave two boys alone with us both... Sometimes it's the coach and chaperone that need protecting from the patrents:mad::eek:mg:

bracket

Reaction score
Personally, I don't believe that the ratio of paedophiles in society has changed any, but the mad media coverage has parents' nerves in shreds and must lead to a lot of young lives spent on a very short leash indeed, mostly indoors. Back in the 70s I can't recall a single dodgy encounter and - particularly in the holidays - we were out in the countryside from dawn till dusk without any kind of adult supervision. Rant over and apologies for straying off-topic, Derek.

I agree it's unlikely the ratio has changed much. What has changed is the public perception . If I, as a 74 year old man, speak to a child in a supermarket, the mother immediately marks me down as a paedophile. If I chose to speak the the mother instead, then I am obviously a potential rapist. Should I decide to ignore them both, then there can be no doubt in her mind that I must be Gay. One just cannot win, so the result is you refrain from making contact at all and everyone looses. What a sad world it has become. Pete