Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ''Putting something back on a personal level''

By helping others in our sport is what I'm getting at. Either by spending time by the waterside with a novice, or even providing information on tackle and techniques. I suppose those of us who post are already doing this.

In my own case I have accompanied a number of members from FM from far and wide, and assisted most of them in achieving their personal best in my own field of Pike and Perch. And I can say hand on heart it is the most satisfying and rewarding experience.

I suppose these days it's not all about me.

How about you?

Default Re: ''Putting something back on a personal level''

You know Derek, I would love to do something to help the novices, kids especially, used to be volounteer crew on a St Johns Ambulance boat every Friday, but the safety regs meant I had to use all my holidays for compliance training, this is the same, take some kids fishing and risk being branded a pervert, the worlds gone mad mate, these days I just give tackle away and advice, pity really, we could do more and I would love to.

I spent nearly 10 years as an Angling Coach, with my training provided by the (then) NFA... I still have my qualifications... it wasn't easy in those days with City and Guilds course work and written/practical exams to complete, but the 1st4Sport qualification isn't the end of the matter... there were other courses that were married to the NFA certifcate, such as first aid, a course on behaviour around disadvantaged/disabled men, women and children, then there was the CRB checks which took an age to be completed by Essex police... it's not a quick process....

That said it was some of the most rewarding years of a 53 year angling career... if you want to have a go, I can heartily recommend it, but there is a lot of paperwork involved nowadays, including venue risk assessments, getting a chaperone (recommended) and membership of the Angling Trust (a necessity for the third party insurance...

I coached for two clubs locally and did several NFA sponsored events which meant rubbing shoulders with a few of the angling celebs (but I suppose everything has it's downsides these days)

It's a rewarding role and one I enjoyed immensely until my arthritis decided that it was time to take a rest... Moral of the story... look after yer knees
    I'm Pink, Therefore I'm Spam....!

I am fully CRB (now DBS) checked and work part time with kids at a local school, since retiring. Trouble with DBS check is I can only use it at the school I work at, it's not transferrable. If I work with kids out side of the school I need a new one for each area it puts you of helping. My neighbours gave up helping the local guide group and football teams because of the paper work involved.
    Last edited by steve2; 06-10-2015 at 16:13.

the bureaucracy of the coaching qualification is what is killing off coaching or mentoring at so many levels and sooooo many activities... sad to say

binka Guest

I often frequent lakes and riverbanks, throwing in copious amounts of food so that the fish are bigger for someone else to catch...

I hope you're qualified

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by arthur2sheds View Post
    I hope you're qualified
    I'm a black belt in origami

I'm a 3rd Dan Blackbelt in Tofu... so Nyuuuur

Blog Entries

I cant think of anything I have done on a one to one basis other than giving bits of tackle and bait to kids and when I was a bailiff finding any kid without a permit I would leave them fishing but tell them they needed to get one for next time.

Only other things I have done is give my time and sometimes money freely to a single species organisation, something I wont be doing again in a hurry.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast