Polarised lenses colour...

sam vimes

Reaction score
In my experience it depends on the light levels on the day. I tend to wear polarised glasses unless it's dark. I find they help me see a float with less strain. However, I couldn't be bothered having, and swapping between, multiple lens colours.

I want a dark lens when it's really bright and a lighter one (preferably one that boosts definition) for duller conditions. Some kind of photochromatic lens sounded perfect to me. I could only find one that combined photochromatic with polarised, Drivewear. I've had mine for a couple of years now. When the prescription becomes obsolete, I'll be getting some more.

Windy

Reaction score
...definatly not those yellow lenses that make everything look like one of Walt Disney's cartoonists had painted it.

Thank the Lord for that, I have always thought they look awful, Ron Burgundy specials.

Thanks for the link Sam, tho possibly a trifle dear for a man of straitened means* like me.

* ie. bluddy mean :wh

sam vimes

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Sam, tho possibly a trifle dear for a man of straitened means* like me.

* ie. bluddy mean :wh

I'm not exactly liberal with my severely limited funds either. However, unless you are a regular loser/destroyer of glasses, they are well worth the money.

john step

Reaction score
Amber as in like the yellow driver's glasses ?

I like to warn others about those night driving glasses whenever the subject crops up.
I used to drive to a night shift using the same route every night.
Due to tired eyes I purchased a pair of these and they made everything look amber.

Everything amber,The shops displays, the street lights' everything was a pretty haze of amber .........including the RED traffic light I sailed through and only realising what I had done half way across a very busy London junction that as stated already that I knew well.

I threw them away immediately

P

pointngo

Although yellow, and rose (pink) lenses do look like you're watching a cartoon they pick out the detail in low light conditions better.

Dark lenses are better in bright sunshine.

For everyday use which covers all light levels adequately, amber/brown is the one to go for.

You don't need to spend a fortune on glasses but they're there to protect your eyes from UV as well as allow you to see, so go for 100% UV protection if you can. :)

greenie62

Reaction score
...For everyday use which covers all light levels adequately, amber/brown is the one to go for....

Even on quite dull days I wear my polarised glasses to cut the glare out from the water - and keep them on as long as I can - when it's too dark to see your float - take them off and start packing-up while you've still got enough light left to see - half-hour tops! :eek:
:thumbs:

P

pointngo

Even on quite dull days I wear my polarised glasses to cut the glare out from the water - and keep them on as long as I can - when it's too dark to see your float - take them off and start packing-up while you've still got enough light left to see - half-hour tops! :eek:
:thumbs:

I'm exactly the same Greenie. They go on as soon as they allow me to see under the surface and stay there until it seems dark. Take them off and it's like another day for the last half hour/hour..... to get a few more last casts in. :thumbs:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
There is no one best colour. I carry brown and yellow ( or amber or whatever) and its the yellow ones that I wear most because they are definitely better in low light conditions. My favourite " yellow lenses" are Smiths and they are not at all like those night driving glasses .

But its not just about reducing glare. The older I get the more light I need to see and yellow lens are better in that respect plus, as I fly fish quite a bit, I need glasses to protect my eyes. You'll always find me wearing sunglasses when I'm fly fishing no matter what the weathers like. I've had a few direct hits on the glasses....not many but you only need one to damage an eye.

The only time you'll find me fly fishing without sunglasses is at night....but I'll have me normal glasses on then even though I don't need them. No way I'm risking a surface lure with trailing treble in the eye thank you !

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I compared grey, brown and amber clip-ons (over my power lenses) in various conditions over several weeks once, whilst walking the dog around a local carp lake. Amber was significantly better for fish spotting in all conditions.
Since then I've been told by some US guides I respect that the blues, reds and greens in the modern over-fit designs can be better when sea fishing (in sub-tropics, not Southend Pier!)

Windy

Reaction score
I may not like it but if it has to be Ron Burgundy yellow / amber for best functionality then so be it.

I just don't look forward to growing the moustache. And where on earth I am going to find a velvet fishing jacket ?

Lord only knows. :w

robtherake

Reaction score
The yellow/amber ones turn the day nice and sunny. It always feels like a grim day with the grey ones on, too. Some kind of colour psychology thing going on, I suppose - best not wear the red ones, perhaps? :)