dragon carp closing down

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I have trio of carp rods bought on an offer to an eBay seller. He snapped it up immediately. 2.5 tc and will put a 1 ounce lead on a fleas backside if you have the talent.
The only thing I would change and might do 1 day is put smaller, lighter rings on them.
Proper progressive action and power.
£50 each brand new.
I reckon Dragon Carp rods for a tenner wouldn't be as good.

Last edited:
B

binka

Erm...

Forget that picture, I've been over there this morning and the already huge place has DOUBLED with what looks to be the same amount of additional warehousing plus a mass of newly built offices running adjacent to what's already in this picture!

I went over as I saw some Seymo bait droppers on their ebay store which I couldn't get from my local tackle shops, Sports Direct didn't have them in store either as their online offering is a separate operation albeit run from, I think, the same place but I did buy two unhooking mats which were a bargain at £5.99 each for a well padded, tri-fold mat with stake down loops at either end and twelve packs of cheap Kamasan B911 Extra-Strong eyed hooks which my local also doesn't stock along with a couple of packs of Seymo rolling clasp swivels at a grand 99p for a pack of ten.

It looked like they had scaled back their in store department for the winter but it was still a fairly large floor area with a well stocked section including Shakespeare, Silstar, Maver and many other brands beside the Dunlop, CK and Dragon Carp offerings.

The newly built extension looks to be about complete if not already operational and I managed to find this image of it in progress which looks to be a fraction of what's now been built...

It certainly looks like business is booming for some.

thecrow

Reaction score
Amazing how such "**** tackle" is being snapped up by anglers to such an extent that while others are shrinking or even closing down they are expanding.

There are bargains to be had in their stores if only anglers would stop being led by the nose into believing that all their stuff is rubbish partly by anglers who have never set foot into one of their stores or used their tackle. I have yet to come across any tackle manufacturer who's range does not contain tackle that could have been better quality or improved upon.

Of course its nice to own expensive tackle if an angler can afford it good luck to them, unfortunately a lot (me included) cannot and are content to fish with cheaper tackle, I have never noticed that the fish mind and as long as my line and hooks are reliable for the fishing that I do I am happy to fish with what I have,.

I cant help but think that a lot of money is being made by tackle manufacturers promoting the "tackle snobbery" that exists within angling.

B

binka

Amazing how such "**** tackle" is being snapped up by anglers to such an extent that while others are shrinking or even closing down they are expanding.

There are bargains to be had in their stores if only anglers would stop being led by the nose into believing that all their stuff is rubbish partly by anglers who have never set foot into one of their stores or used their tackle. I have yet to come across any tackle manufacturer who's range does not contain tackle that could have been better quality or improved upon.

Of course its nice to own expensive tackle if an angler can afford it good luck to them, unfortunately a lot (me included) cannot and are content to fish with cheaper tackle, I have never noticed that the fish mind and as long as my line and hooks are reliable for the fishing that I do I am happy to fish with what I have,.

I cant help but think that a lot of money is being made by tackle manufacturers promoting the "tackle snobbery" that exists within angling.

I couldn't agree more with that crow.

I'm a self-confessed tackle tart in some respects but that doesn't stop me bagging some decent gear from Sports Direct, Aldi etc when it comes along.

Whilst I will in the main rely as much as possible on my local tackle shops I will definitely be having another browse around at some point.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I figure we all need vices (especially those who tie their own flies!!), I don't smoke or drink so I've been cursed with overspending on tackle.

That said, there are still economies of scale, aren't there? Some folks might baulk at paying, say, 200 for a Normark. The idea of paying ten times that for a handmade rod is too much for me.

Cut your cloth and all that, I guess :)