dragon carp closing down

caelan

Reaction score
NOT all shops but very cheap tackle at sports direct from dragon carp
an plenty more

lookabaa

Reaction score
Not sure if it's closing down but they were on about Sports Direct in Shirebrook, Mansfield using illegal slave workers!

B

binka

Not sure if it's closing down but they were on about Sports Direct in Shirebrook, Mansfield using illegal slave workers!

Lol... That wouldn't surprise me!

That place is just down the road from me and is their central distribution depot and the size of it is staggering!

They have a very large retail outlet there too although I rarely visit it, to give you an idea of scale the smaller detached box type building to the top left of the main depot is the retail outlet and is probably larger than many supermarkets...

wanderer

Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish dubious outlets, cheap labour cheap ****, through , the internet and used tackle, broken zips, leaky brollies, false economy, time has found them out.

cg74

Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish dubious outlets, cheap labour cheap ****, through , the internet and used tackle, broken zips, leaky brollies, false economy, time has found them out.

"cheap labour" - That's narrowed your purchase options to less than 1% of all available goods nationwide...

All I've ever bought from them has been good, though I've only gone for their Barble feeders (their spelling), which were half the price of the Korum equivalents and branded items such as Kamasan Black Cap feeders.

wanderer

Reaction score
"cheap labour" - That's narrowed your purchase options to less than 1% of all available goods nationwide...

All I've ever bought from them has been good, though I've only gone for their Barble feeders (their spelling), which were half the price of the Korum equivalents and branded items such as Kamasan Black Cap feeders.

Learned my lesson buying rubbish at shows, much of it was theirs, not a good idea, unreliable tools.

11alan111

Reaction score
i bought a rod that was advertised as a barbel rod and to be honest i wouldnt like to catch anything bigger than a couple of pounds on it and certainly not a barbel

robtherake

Reaction score
The kids bought me an 11ft margin float rod from Used Tackle as a present - it needed six ounces of lead wrapped round the butt just to balance it! As if that wasn't bad enough, the action was more suitable for margin-caught marlin than commie carp. "You gets what you pay for" was never more true. never had the heart to tell the bairns, though. :eek:

caelan

Reaction score
LESSON 1 its **** gear not carp I do not use dragon anymore lets just say what I did buy went in the bin a long time ago yet the weekly mags still have full pages of there stuff on offer

thecrow

Reaction score
When I lived in Chapel St Leonards I visited their shop in Skegness quiet often, if you were selective in what you purchased from them there were/are some bargains to be had, they were certainly cheap for leads both sea and fresh water, some of their luggage was also ok if you took the time to check what you were buying over.

I don't subscribe to the view that if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg it isn't worth having, ask the fish if they know the difference, for any angler to have an opinion on their stuff they must have purchased or used some of it, as for their Barbel rods I have seen fish well over 14lbs caught on one the same as I saw a chap in France catch a 54lbs Carp (I blanked)

There is also the point that some anglers have been attracted into the sport by the cheap tackle on offer not being able to afford stuff that some would deem to be better.

I find it hilarious that some pay through the nose for stuff that may come out of the same factory as other stuff that is miles cheaper, how many mandrels they think rod manufacturers have for different rods I don't know, I do know though that some stuff on the market in the past has been twice the price of exactly the same thing with different whippings and a name on it, of course some stuff is worth paying for and will last a lifetime if looked after, me I am far to rough on stuff and try to go for the middle ground of what I can afford.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I fully concur with that, Mr Crow, but with the proviso that I am a self confessed tackle tart. I do spend too much on tackle and, especially on rods, such as the Normark Titan, that are deemed classics but where far cheaper alternatives exist.

That said, I don't smoke or drink and tend not to spend money in areas other people might do so I tend to justify my collecting / hoarding / acquisitions on that basis.

I would add though that if I can acquire said items for less than market rate then all the better - and, with some items where collectorship is low, it can be done on ebay.

stripey

Reaction score
Its not all bad gear, i've had a avanti seat box for 6 yrs and its still as good has the day i bought it, also got a 3mt sensas keepnet from them, you need to be selective about what you buy , their reels seem to be really ****.

wanderer

Reaction score
I fully concur with that, Mr Crow, but with the proviso that I am a self confessed tackle tart. I do spend too much on tackle and, especially on rods, such as the Normark Titan, that are deemed classics but where far cheaper alternatives exist.

That said, I don't smoke or drink and tend not to spend money in areas other people might do so I tend to justify my collecting / hoarding / acquisitions on that basis.

I would add though that if I can acquire said items for less than market rate then all the better - and, with some items where collectorship is low, it can be done on ebay.

Rods are simply tools for doing a job, quality tackle as well as cheap tackle is sometimes the wrong gear for the individual, just doesn't feel right. I have purchased many rods that although I could use, had irritating little quirks, casting wise, striking wise, playing fish at range or in close, something was not right or the combination of all things didn't add up, they had to go.
You find most rods do not tick all your personal boxes, the combination of faults is usually more prominent in budget tackle, I found two sets of carp rod that feel like an extension of my arm, Greys X Flites and Century Armalites, wont be buying any more.

law

Reaction score
Ive used one of their Anoki spod rods for 2 years now. It's only 3.75 t/c but I''ll happily chuck a big spomb loaded with parti 100 yards with it.
Can't complain for 20 quid.

seth49

Reaction score
According to there website it's just there ramsgate megastore that's closing.
There going more for the express stores.

lambert1

Reaction score
I have not personally bought anything from them, but were I 14 or so again I would have been thrilled with what they have to offer price wise and that to me is a very important factor. At entry level price is key. None of my family fished and my first gear took a painfully long time to assemble from pocket money/birthday presents. I was mortified last season when I bent the landing net pole that I originally got from persuading my Dad to part with his Greenshield stamps for:eek: I think being a "Tackle Tart" is fine when you are older and have sufficient funds to indulge yourself as to be honest that is quite normal behaviour for adult males in particular and extends into other areas like DIY tools etc, where knowledge and experience (sometimes bitter!) make you realise that things are sometimes cheap for a reason. However when you are young and keen catching fish is the real thrill, especially if you have managed to get yourself there with little adult assistance.