Rods: When All Else Fails?

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
I loaned a carbon fibre carp rod to a friend recently. When it was returned she had somehow managed to jam the two sections together, apparently permanently. Any advice for separating the parts? I have so far tried the straight pull, the pull behind the knees, the two person pull, both having a hand on each section, hot water on the outer joint. I tied the handle to a fixed post, and bracing with my feet pulled as hard as I could on the other end. Penetrating oil: been there, done that. I now have a 12 foot, one piece carp rod, that won't fit in my car.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Get two people to pull while a third person raps lightly on the join to break the seal. Sounds potty but it works.

Any of the normal methods work better if you have a proper grip on the blank - try using a chamois leather.

john step

Reaction score
Get two people to pull while a third person raps lightly on the join to break the seal. Sounds potty but it works.

Any of the normal methods work better if you have a proper grip on the blank - try using a chamois leather.

If tapping doesn't work, get the same third person to grip the rod joint and gently move the joint in a SMALL circular motion whilst the other two keep the ends stationary and still.

robtherake

Reaction score
Any advance on 3 people and a hairdryer? It's almost like a "How many anglers does it take to..." comedy sketch :) Maybe you could ask the local tug o' war team to have a bash if all else fails.

John Spilsbury

Reaction score
Tonight's plan is to take it to the local Pike Anglers' meeting: get three of the brutes on each end and one to tap/apply circular motion.
Still stuck? Then I'll drive the car over the damn thing.

silvers

Reaction score
this is a common occurrence on pole joints.
tapping has always worked for me ..... and you can be pretty brutal ..... with a "soft fist" would be my description.

Reaction score
That will contract the female outside section too.

You need to QUICKLY heat the outside section while pulling ( before the inside section expands proportionally)

Windy

Reaction score
Seriously, the hairdryer / application of heat thingy has always been a charm, especially with a blow torch and rusty rounded off nut, every petrol head's best friend.

However with a rod you obviously can't use a blow torch, a heatgun is too hot, but a hair dryer does the biz....

laguna

Reaction score
If all else fails.. Try the one-man tourniquet method thus:

You will need
# a long length of strong rope
# insulation tape (optional)
# bank stick
# 2 neighbouring trees (or posts)

1. position stuck-fast rod on the ground between both trees
2. secure top rod section with rope near ferrule and wrap with insulation tape to keep it flat to the blank all the way to the tip (protects rod rings).
3. pass rope once around the first tree and around the next tree and back towards the butt forming a loop
4. tie off to the butt of the rod
5. gradually twist bank stick around the rope like a tourniquet until the rope 'pings' under tension
4. watch out for flying rod sections!

This, the same method I came up with when refuting (sorry comparing) the accurracy of your 'mates' Aldis brand scales with 'your' otherwise quite excellent [insert good brand here] scales by linking both together under the same tension.

Its suprising how mean averages sometimes devide the difference! ;)

Harvey

Reaction score
That will contract the female outside section too.

You need to QUICKLY heat the outside section while pulling ( before the inside section expands proportionally)
Hot water might do the trick. Combined with pulling and tapping with a wooden stick.

I once had a Drennan carp landingnet handle that got stuck. What eventually made it come apart, was me putting the joint to my knee and pulling both ends toward me, i.e. "breaking" the handle at the joint. That did the trick, and it came apart without any damage to the handle.

I have no idea if this would work on a carprod. But it might be worth giving it a gentle go. These are solid rods.