Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rods: When All Else Fails?

I loaned a carbon fibre carp rod to a friend recently. When it was returned she had somehow managed to jam the two sections together, apparently permanently. Any advice for separating the parts? I have so far tried the straight pull, the pull behind the knees, the two person pull, both having a hand on each section, hot water on the outer joint. I tied the handle to a fixed post, and bracing with my feet pulled as hard as I could on the other end. Penetrating oil: been there, done that. I now have a 12 foot, one piece carp rod, that won't fit in my car.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by jayzs; 12-10-2015 at 08:53.

Default Re: Rods: When All Else Fails?

Get two people to pull while a third person raps lightly on the join to break the seal. Sounds potty but it works.

Any of the normal methods work better if you have a proper grip on the blank - try using a chamois leather.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Quote Originally Posted by robtherake View Post
    Get two people to pull while a third person raps lightly on the join to break the seal. Sounds potty but it works.

Any of the normal methods work better if you have a proper grip on the blank - try using a chamois leather.
    If tapping doesn't work, get the same third person to grip the rod joint and gently move the joint in a SMALL circular motion whilst the other two keep the ends stationary and still.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

And if that doesn't work send your friend a bill for a new rod !

Two people pulling plus hairdryer on out joint and tapping the joint
    PaSC Junior Development Officer ><((((°>

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jayzs View Post
    I now have a 12 foot, one piece carp rod, that won't fit in my car.

Any ideas?
    Longer car?

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) View Post
    ...plus hairdryer

The Corkster has it IMHO and experience.

And if you do buy a longer car on Binka's recommendation then beware. It will soon be broken...

Any advance on 3 people and a hairdryer? It's almost like a "How many anglers does it take to..." comedy sketch Maybe you could ask the local tug o' war team to have a bash if all else fails.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Tonight's plan is to take it to the local Pike Anglers' meeting: get three of the brutes on each end and one to tap/apply circular motion.
    Still stuck? Then I'll drive the car over the damn thing.

this is a common occurrence on pole joints.
    tapping has always worked for me ..... and you can be pretty brutal ..... with a "soft fist" would be my description.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast