Where to take a newbie?

lamorna

Reaction score
Prior to marriage, kids etc. I used to be a very keen but have not fished for 12years +

My 14 year old nephew has announced that having seen some people fishing, he wants to have a go, and his mum suggested that I might go with him, which I'd be happy to do.

The thing I've been contemplating is what type of fishery to take him to? When I first fished at about 10 years of age, it was at the local free lake where a 3-gudgeon haul was a cause for celebration. None of my family fished and so I went with 3 mates who were similarly clueless, but over time and with perseverance and a bit of assistance from other fishermen I learnt the ropes and catches improved.

The thing that troubles me is that in the time I've been away commercial fisheries and particularly carp puddles seem to have proliferated, and the expectations of what is a decent days catch is unrecognisable compared with my formative experiences. I accept that sitting on 5 feet of water with 4 feet of fish in it will probably provide the instant gratification that the Playstation generation requires, but my concern would be that this might pall after a while, and getting him to enjoy out-witting ‘wild’ fish in rivers and natural waters which might involve blanking would have little appeal

Equally fishing on a natural water may build up the craft and guile required to generate a genuine love and long-term hunger for the sport, but given what seems to be a much less-patient outlook on life generally there is the danger that he may lose interest in the sport and stop going altogether?

Do you have any views, or am I over-thinking this?

dann

Reaction score
I'd say start with catching something, anything will do! Nothing puts kids off more than spending the day at the side of the lake and not seeing a fish, let alone catching one.

Explain that it wont always be like that, this is to get started etc.

I took this approach with my 2 young lads and even though it is early days, they are now well and truly hooked :D on fishing.

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
I would say defo go with the private lake that the young lad is almost guaranteed to catch.

Like it's been said nothing worse then being young and spending a whole day not catching anything.

You could always mix it up a bit, Go to the private lake and then hit the rivers or canals etc.

john step

Reaction score
I'd say start with catching something, anything will do! Nothing puts kids off more than spending the day at the side of the lake and not seeing a fish, let alone catching one.

Explain that it wont always be like that, this is to get started etc.

I took this approach with my 2 young lads and even though it is early days, they are now well and truly hooked :D on fishing.

Yes if its in the blood they will take to it. Perhaps a puddle one day. Spinning for perch/pike another. Why not give them a DVD or two. The tackle sops give them away. Christmas is coming up. How about a Passion for Angling box set.

B

binka

Might be worthwhile popping into your local tackle shop and asking their advice on a venue, they will be more than happy to help what could be a future regular customer.

I'm only speaking from my own personal experience but small clear rivers were my fascination as a kid, regardless of whether or not I caught anything I just wanted to be there but I appreciate things have changed quite dramatically since then.

Welcome to FM by the way, does your username have anything to do with a Cornish cove by any chance?

lamorna

Reaction score
Thanks all, very helpful

Welcome to FM by the way, does your username have anything to do with a Cornish cove by any chance?

Indeed! A favourite childhood haunt rediscovered when I had my own kids

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've taken a few kids and adults out for their first forays into coarse angling now. I would always base my venue and tactic choices on their level of experience. When starting from scratch, I'd generally choose to fish for "bits" on either stillwater or rivers. In either case, I'd initially choose somewhere that the odds on catching are high. It would also be somewhere where the chances of catching something reasonably big, on relatively light gear, were relatively low.

I made the mistake of taking a ten year old to a water where the prolific roach shared the water with a fair number of decent sized carp. After unexpectedly hooking, and losing, one fairly angry carp, it put him right off the prospect of tangling with another for quite some time. He was genuinely scared of the prospect.

Old natural lakes/ponds with profuse stocks of skimmers, rudd and roach. Newly stocked commercial pools, where the carp are still generally less than a pound or two. Rivers where perch, dace, chublets, skimmers or roach dominate are all the type of place I'd aim at for initial forays. At least to start with, they all need to be venues where fish can be caught within a rod length or two of the bank. There's little point in going somewhere that precision, or distance, casting and feeding is a requirement.

It shouldn't take too long until skills improve enough to try more complex tactics and bigger fish.

B

binka

Thanks all, very helpful

Indeed! A favourite childhood haunt rediscovered when I had my own kids

I thought it might be, a really lovely place and loads of small wrasse and pollack to a sliding float rig off the small harbour wall although I think the wall has largely been washed away by storms now.

I spent many days between there and Pemberth, I must get something organised again for the future :)

wanderer

Reaction score
This is a real difficult question, I hate carp puddles, but I have had fun fishing a few and still do when frustration takes over and reassurance or bait testing is required, usually the latter. His mates will be puddle chuckers for sure, the fast internet crowd would die of boredom on a 200 acre Cambridgeshire pit, but if you do that , all is lost and another plastic angler is created. Match anglers are a no no for me, but they have knowledge and skills a kid would do well to absorb, specially a big kid like me. My advice to you is join him in a local club, get him fishing junior matches, sit behind him and coach and when the times right, show him something better by degrees.

lamorna

Reaction score
My advice to you is join him in a local club, get him fishing junior matches, sit behind him and coach and when the times right, show him something better by degrees.

Great advice, Wanderer, but I think a few sessions to show him the basics first would save him some embarrassment which could be crucial as these young 'uns seem to be a proud lot!

rubio

Reaction score
Just go! Surely any bit of fishing is gonna be a good bit of adventure. One thing I believe is useful is to show newbies a nearby, easily accessed and safe free fishing spot. Not necessarily straight off but somewhere they know and can fly solo with a little confidence.
If you don't make it all about catching they don't in my experience.